Mini-STX 1.53L internal PSU

jottwehh

Bonobo
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Hi there,

first of all, I'm not sure where to post this. It could be a modding, sort of custom case, or a project... whatever her is what I'm talking about:

Components:
Intel Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor
Silverstone AR04 48.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SODIMM 260-Pin Memory
Asrock H110M-STX Mainboard
SilverStone SST-VT01B Case
HDPLEX 80W AC-DC Power Supply
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (m.2. Samsung sm961 planned)

The Idea:
Place the HDPLEX 80W PSU into the SST-VT01 to get a real 1,53L Case with all parts.

(please ignore the stock cooler. Still waiting for the AR04)

So HDPlex define the 80W PSU to be 103x40x30mm (121.4(L) x 30 (W) x 40 (H) mm with those "mounting ears" )

As you can see on the first picture, it should be possible to put the PSU on top of the m.2 slot. with 4 modifications:

1. The "bridge" needs a little cut out, which should be very easy.

2. The on/off & LED Pins are higher then the m.2 slot and (maybe) have to be modded. Otherwise the PSU is too high and doesn't fit into the case.

3. The AC Input needs a cut out on the back of the case. The original HDPLEX input seems to be too big, so maybe some sort of this one will work:
https://img.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/9000_9999/9600/9610/9615/1365767_LB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

4. the Asrock STX Mainboard doesn't have a internal 19V input, so you could put a cable from the inside through the I/O shield to the original 19V input, or you have to solder the cable on the back of the Mainboard. The latter I will do.

Asrock recomments at least a 90W PSU for a 51W TDP Processor, but the HDPLEX does only have 80W (the 160W one is too big). Today I did a lot of Benchmarks and Prime95 stuff... the highest Wattage i could reach was 60W so I think i could give it a try.

As you can see, I'm at the beginning of my buildlog, but I will get all the missing parts the next days, so hopefully I can give you an update soon.
If you got any questions, or recommentations, please feels free to ask/comment.
Thanks for your interest!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice to see more people trying to fit the power adapter internally :)

But since this is a modification to an existing case, it seems this thread belongs in the Modding section? Unless you feel strongly otherwise, I think it should be moved.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Looks like it'll be a super tight fit, but also like it will be very space efficient!

Are you worried about heat transfer from the AC-DC to the M2 or vice versa? Or maybe the PSU could act as a heat sink?

For the LED / power switch pins, wirst comes to worst you could maybe strip the wires and then solder or hot glue them on.

Reactions: ricochet

jottwehh

Bonobo
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Looks like it'll be a super tight fit, but also like it will be very space efficient!

Are you worried about heat transfer from the AC-DC to the M2 or vice versa? Or maybe the PSU could act as a heat sink?

For the LED / power switch pins, wirst comes to worst you could maybe strip the wires and then solder or hot glue them on.

Hi Ceros_X !
I decided going wit the new Samsung 960 EVO M.2, which is pretty good in terms of thermal loss. I will get it the next 2 days, then I will do a stress test and will tell you more about that. But i think, I can get a small gap between the SSD and teh PSU, so the CPU Cooler could produce some air cirulation.
The Power/LED pins arent a Problem anymore. I was able to fit the PSU in without hitting the Pins.

Hi stefan33 !
Thanks for your recommentation, but I dont see any pros going for another case. its much bigger, and you simply dont need the 160W.
AND: I like it SMALLLLXD:thumb:

So, im not finished with the build, but I wanted to share a few impressions.
First of all, I would like to say "Thank You!" to HD-Plex, which were so nice sending me the 80W PSU.
I feel a little bit bad for taking it apart...(Don't do this at home!)

So I was thinking about placing the PSU without the Case inside, but I was worried about safety, so I decided not to do that.
The next thing i decided was not to replace the boxed cooler by the Silverstone AR04 48.0 CFM CPU Cooler. Instead I'm using the Cooltek ITX30

The silverstone AR04 was so loud and Iwas not able to get it silence. Even with a low noise adapter (simple resitor) I was able to her it, but the cooling performace was pretty bad. So I ordered the ITX30 and.... what should I say. Its wonderfull... Silence, Cool, nice!
(I've got the LP53 for my 4.2L build and really dont understand where all the negative reviews are coming from. For me in both cases the best cooler!

Next thing I've done was to add 4 holes for a 2TB HDD

Sadly now its not silence anymore, but still quiet and I need that space.
That way I 'am able to place 2 SSD/HDD under the mainboard and one on top (m.2)

* 3x SSD + PSU + interchangebale CPU @ 1,53L = much WOW :cool::) *

Anyway, next step I placed the PSU inside the Case:

It fits. just perfect.
As you can see pretty easy, I've got a cable going from outside into the PSU. This is just for testing. I don't wanted to cut a big hole ito the case, to fit the AC plug just to figure out, that its getting too hot inside the case. So I decided testing it that way for a bit and if its working, I will maybe add it.

Right now you can't see the DC in solution. I'm not done yet, but I will add pictures next week.
Also I will ad some temperatures and stuff like that.
So I hope you had fun watching the little update.
Feel free to ask questions.:thumb:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
(I've got the LP53 for my 4.2L build and really dont understand where all the negative reviews are coming from. For me in both cases the best cooler!
I don't think anyone has said a bad word about the LP53. The VC45 and Engine 23 are to two low profile heatsinks that have been less favourably received: the VC45 for having a vapour chamber that is less effective than heatpipe-based coolers, and the Engine 27 because it can only deal with lower TDP chips without getting annoyingly loud (though works excellently on said low power chips).