the time has come! finally replaced the RTX 2070 with a Zotac 4070 Super Twin Edge - perfect size and performance! 😍
I play single player games at 1080p with a 72fps cap. I mostly play VR on a Quest 3, but set 120fps target with Synchronous Space Warp always on (so the GPU renders only 60fps)...
Unfortunately, the Dynatron A18 just couldn't cool the 5700x. It was OK-ish in benchmarks, but after gaming for a couple of hours it would reach over 90 degrees and throttle.
I changed the hardware box standoffs to 65mm and installed Thermalright AXP90-x47. TimeSpy results are much better...
Finally, Ryzen 5700x was at a nice price! I haven't tinkered for quite some time, time to replace the CPU.
I may have missed a spring cleaning or two... 😂
The original CPU fan was dying, very loud and sounded like something was scraping inside. Back in my day, you'd peel the sticker on the...
Thanks, but I don't have WiFi problems. I don't know what you mean by shielding the 2.4GHz signal path with tape.
I already found solutions - I already extended WiFi antennae and mounted them on top of the monitor - it's not a problem. The USB hub solved headphones and keyboard issues. The only...
Thanks! But Bluetooth is on the network card, wouldn't it be handled by extension antennae at the top of the monitor? When antennae were screwed directly to the WiFi card, close to the motherboard, WiFi and Bluetooth were very flakey. Keyboard and headphones have 2.4GHz dongles, both are plugged...
Does anyone know if mesh panels need specific "hole" sizes and if mesh panels help with interference? I have a custom portable PC https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/diy-laptop-portable-pc-5-4-litres-17-screen.15795/ but interference is really bad. From my tests it looks like the GPU...
Thanks! I don't have enough space for liquid, unfortunately, it's a GPU upgrade for my lapdesk
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/diy-laptop-portable-pc-5-4-litres-17-screen.15795/page-2. I could fit a taller card with 65mm standofs, but prices and performance would have to be good, I...
Nice, sounds like an option. Not sure about the cost, though, in my case it was 17'' 1080p 144Hz and a cheap portable monitor was the same price as a laptop screen + controller board + DIY power cable
Who would want simple things? :D Sounds like an awesome thread. I built something similar - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/diy-laptop-portable-pc-5-4-litres-17-screen.15795/
Have a look at the screen on the parts lists - not too expensive and works great, only drawback are rubbish...
Guess all depends on what you do, a PC won't match top performing gaming laptops without a dedicated GPU.
I travelled with my "lapdesk"/portable PC and it's great. Fits into a larger 17'' laptop bag. No external PSU means only a kettle lead, keyboard and mouse/trackball to take. Really shines...
Cool idea, can't believe I didn't think of it when designing my "lapdesk"/portable PC. You could buy 2 aluminium sheets, 2 or 3 hinges like I did for my project and just put them together for a lapboard with a portable screen on hinges (17'' 144Hz are still quite affordable).
Basically the 2...
@aromachi , if it's a tower / all-in-one build, why 15.6''? Feels really small to sit on the desk anyway. My lapdesk is about portability and I already feel 17.3'' is a minimum, something larger would have been better.
If I were building a static setup, I would take the same hardware as for my...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.