Mar 19, 2018
Here's my build:

Intel-i7 8700k
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-i
Nvidea Geforce GT 1030 (Passive)
Low Profile Noctua NH-L9i
HDPLEX 400w DC-DC

Now a few questions:
Can I underclock the 8700k to get a temperature/power similar to the 8700 variant?

I would prefer to get the i7-8700k because I've heard about how it's future proof due to not being locked, which I would much prefer to have, but not if I can't get the TDP and temperature to around the levels of the 8700. From my understanding, I would probably need a better cooler than just a single fan.

I'm also questioning the low power of the GT 1030 and might want to upgrade to either a GTX 1060 or 1070.

In short, I'm trying to avoid upgrading for a long time, but don't want to overdo it and have to use a brick. It's very hard to find a balance. Money isn't an issue right now.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would try undervolting first. If you're still having thermal issues after achieving a stable undervolt, then your choices are to underclock or de-lid. Also worth noting is that the L9a is an AMD variant of the L9i and doesn't have compatible mounting for socket 1151.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Oh. Thanks about the fan compatibility. I'm getting the Noctua NH-L9I low profile now.

My main question would be how high would I be able to go without using a brick with the HDPLEX 400 (which from my understanding, can be mounted internally). Could it handle a GTX 1060 with a i7-8700k (using a de-lidding service), or go with a i7-8700? I'm planning to transport this thing around, but also want to "future proof" it, that's all.

I'm ordering parts now and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Last edited:

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Oh. Didn't know BOMS stood for that. That helps me a fair bit.

Well, I already got the HDPLEX 400W with no bracket or ac-dc adapter. Will I still be ok? The build doesn't mention that.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I suppose you could substitute the HDPLEX 400W in place of the dynamo mini 200W, although I would wait for someone who has some experience of brickless builds to confirm...

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
As far as I understand, You can still use your HDplex 400 with the 160 AC-DC, which should fit inside S4Mini.
But I think the total wattage (Peak) should be limited to 200 (The mac the AC-DC) can support.
(Your max graphics card limited to 1050ti !!)
P.s Get a c8 connector for your AC-DC source.

Hope this helps.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Awesome. One more question.
Should I use the MSI low profile card 1050ti instead of the evga single fan 1050ti? What are the pros and cons like heat and noise? Those two are a big factor to me since ill be traveling around with it and I want to get it as quiet and co as possible

I'm using an asus rog strix z370i, which only have one 16x pcie slot. Would the MSI low profile 1050ti be incompatible? I heard it took two slots for air flow.

I'm thinking of just trying to get Josh to assemble it (if he is willing). I had no idea about the ac-dc adapter which I didnt get and thought you only needed it for the 1070/1080 cards. Completely overlooked the C 8 connector as well. What model should I get from the website? Would I send in all the parts to him to assemble via mail?

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Awesome. One more question.
Should I use the MSI low profile card 1050ti instead of the evga single fan 1050ti? What are the pros and cons like heat and noise? Those two are a big factor to me since ill be traveling around with it and I want to get it as quiet and co as possible

I'm using an asus rog strix z370i, which only have one 16x pcie slot. Would the MSI low profile 1050ti be incompatible? I heard it took two slots for air flow.

I'm thinking of just trying to get Josh to assemble it. I had no idea about the ac-dc adapter which I didnt get and thought you only needed it for the 1070/1080 cards. Completely overlooked the C 8 connector as well. Would I send in all the parts to him to assemble via mail?

Theory is larger the fan, slower it spins to move same amount of air as of two small fans running higher speed. Thus the single fan 1050it should work better. Or you can remove the fan and mount a Noctua 120mm over the heatsink for better quietness.

Reactions: AdventSign

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I've replaced the Zotac fans and shroud with a pair of Noctua nf-a9x14 which I have zip-tied to the stock heatsink and plugged into the second fan header on my motherboard.

Upsides

Much quieter (near silent at idle and much quieter at full speed)

Downsides

CPU temps go up about 5C at load as not all the air is exhausted out of the case (no shroud to direct airflow)
Some people have reported an increase in GPU temperatures as well under load, but only by a few degrees IIRC
No ability to set fan speed vs GPU temperature - might be able to get around this by using a 3pin to 4pin adapter and plugging the noctua fans into the fan header on the GPU.

Not in my experience, that said my GPU temperatures are still fine - 65-70C in gaming (ambient 20C). This is on a Zotac 1080 Mini btw.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
I've decided to get a i7-8700k and going to delid and underclock as much as possible. If more demanding games come out, I'll have an answer for it. Switched from GTX 1050 Ti to GT 1030 to compensate for the power increase. Replacing the CPU is a bit harder than replacing the GPU, so I opted to go with that.

Is the G.Skill Ram the smallest dimension wise? I'm looking for into practicality than looks. Was thinking of going either Corsair or Kingston and getting the 16GB x 2 options, but I'm not 100% sure what one is the smaller option. Anybody have any ideas?

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I just assembled the open test with 8700 (Non K) with a Noctua l9i..
The full load stress on prime 95 (26.6) didn't go above 85C.
That's with everything stock (no undervolt /underclock etc) And the processor was reaching 4.6 on each core (at a time) and 4.3 on all cores.

One thing to share...
Ensure the L9i is not intruded by any vrm or mobo component, especially at the edges That throws the temperature way off than it should.
I removed an reseated L9, which gave above temperatures.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
I see. So I guess the only thing left is to find ram that is small but packs a punch. Corsair or Kingston? G.Skill ram is too flashy for me.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I've decided to get a i7-8700k and going to delid and underclock as much as possible. If more demanding games come out, I'll have an answer for it. Switched from GTX 1050 Ti to GT 1030 to compensate for the power increase. Replacing the CPU is a bit harder than replacing the GPU, so I opted to go with that.

Is the G.Skill Ram the smallest dimension wise? I'm looking for into practicality than looks. Was thinking of going either Corsair or Kingston and getting the 16GB x 2 options, but I'm not 100% sure what one is the smaller option. Anybody have any ideas?
Sorry I didn't read your whole thread but IMHO 1030 is a no buy - even ryzen apu can top that. Maybe stick with 1050 non ti?

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Sep 20, 2017
I picked up a 1050ti for $159 last week. This can be used for a brickless Skyreach build from what I've heard (this is my plan). Keep an eye on the prices and you might be able to snag one.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
So due to the high price, I've gone a different route:

CPU/GPU: AMD Ryzen 2400G or 2400GE
Cooling: Low Profile Noctua NH-L9A
Power: HDPLEX 400w DC-DC
Motherboard: (Waiting on one of the new X470 motherboards to come out)

Only question is whether or not I should get the 2400GE when it comes out or get the 2400G.
What do you guys think? Will cooling/temperature or power/noise be an issue?

I was going for the Ryzen 1700 for increased power, but my needs are satisfied by the 2400G. Again, I'm going for a brick less build and the 2400G is 45-65 W and the 2400GE is 35W.

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I feel no point of going to APU, if you are planning to add a graphics card later...but if you want to play AAA titles right now, no questions..
BTW, L9i is an intel model, you may need l9a.

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
I feel no point of going to APU, if you are planning to add a graphics card later...but if you want to play AAA titles right now, no questions..
BTW, L9i is an intel model, you may need l9a.

I decided to stick with the APU because it can handle the games I play right now such a league, counter strike, and a few other 2D games while still being power efficient and having room for upgrades IF I ever need it. Just a shame about the Asus X370 motherboard not having any I/O ports, or else I would have gotten it in a heartbeat.

Also using G skill Trident Z 3200 C14 Ram (16 X 2). They're massive! I'm pretty sure they'll fit, but damn...

Last edited:

AdventSign

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
I'm now on trying to get the C4 connector in. It doesn't seem to be going in. The length of it is slightly too long. Was gonna e-mail Josh, but if there's a video that shows how to install every part except the soldering and fitting of the C4 connector. Any videos on it?