Discussion selfmade powerbrick for picoPSU?

lucagiolu

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I'm planning to power my Intertech 160W pico-psu by using a brick like this one:

If I informed myself correctly, I will need wires with 2,0mm² diameter and a 4-Pin DIN connector (male and female) to transfer the power safely.
Would this be possible and would you recommend it? I can totally see this turning out bad (especially when done incorrectly) so I'm only asking for your honest opinion.
I also thought about throwing away the whole idea and just getting the picoPSU 160XT + Brick set...

Mod edit: helping with image - I play safe & manually uploaded it to imgur.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Picture not working for me. Got some details on model / specs?

What hardware are you powering with it?

Reactions: Phuncz

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Working from the URL - it looks like you've got a 12V LED power supply (DS-200-12). I'd avoid these generally as they often have really crap performance/specs.

Best bet is a Meanwell AC-DC supply or at least a well-known brick with established specifications. You'll find plenty of examples by searching 'brickless' in the forum

lucagiolu

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I will be powering a Ryzen 3950X (probably underclock), the mainboard, RAM, a M.2 SSD and the cooler obviously. It's a headless Linux server...
What about the required connector? Can you give me some info on that? I saw many bricks with a 2,5 x 5,5 connector but I thought those can't handle such high power?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I will be powering a Ryzen 3950X (probably underclock), the mainboard, RAM, a M.2 SSD and the cooler obviously. It's a headless Linux server...
What about the required connector? Can you give me some info on that? I saw many bricks with a 2,5 x 5,5 connector but I thought those can't handle such high power?
You can easily run a good amount of power through a barrel jack but ONLY if it's higher voltage, most you'll see that are >100W will be 19V or higher. Otherwise the current required will be far too much to safely push through a barrel connector. If you're stuck on 12V for some reason then yes I would absolutely avoid a barrel jack.

What's the enclosure like?
Does it need to be portable?
Does it need to be tamper/kid/pet resistant?
Is there any reason it needs to have a separate AC/DC and DC-ATX?

lucagiolu

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
You can easily run a good amount of power through a barrel jack but ONLY if it's higher voltage, most you'll see that are >100W will be 19V or higher. Otherwise the current required will be far too much to safely push through a barrel connector. If you're stuck on 12V for some reason then yes I would absolutely avoid a barrel jack.

What's the enclosure like?
Does it need to be portable?
Does it need to be tamper/kid/pet resistant?
Is there any reason it needs to have a separate AC/DC and DC-ATX?
It is in fact 12V, so I guess I have to go for the 4-Pin DIN connector...
It doesn't need to be portable. It has to be external/seperate because the case doesn't have space for an internal solution.
It doesn't specifically need to be tamper resistant but when I accidently touch the brick-thingy I prefer not to get electrocuted...

DwarfLord

Average Stuffer
Oct 13, 2018
Be careful, the 160xt delivers only 8A, so 96W, on the 12V line !
You WILL have to underclock/undervolt the 3950X a LOT to comply to that, as it can consume 140W+ alone !
Keep some margin for the motherboard and the rest, the best course of action would be to use it in eco mode I guess, so with a TDP of 65W (= PPT 88W, the real consumption), if it's possible.

Last edited:

lucagiolu

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
Be careful, the 160xt delivers only 8A, so 96W, on the 12V line !
You WILL have to underclock/undevolt the 3950X a LOT to comply to that, as it can consume 140W+ alone !
Keep some margin for the motherboard and the rest, the best course of action would be to use it in eco mode I guess, so with a TDP of 65W (= PPT 88W, the real consumption), if it's possible.
Well I will have to underclock it anyways because of insufficant cooling. But lets say I wont, what kind of PSU would I need? Is there even such a powerful pico psu?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Well I will have to underclock it anyways because of insufficant cooling. But lets say I wont, what kind of PSU would I need? Is there even such a powerful pico psu?
I think Gurywha/G-uniq is back on TaoBao and he does 12V specific 300-400W units. @REVOCCASES do you happen to have a link or search term?
If you're definitely going external, buy a sealed brick designed for that, I would STRONGLY recommend against going DIY.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think Gurywha/G-uniq is back on TaoBao and he does 12V specific 300-400W units. @REVOCCASES do you happen to have a link or search term?
If you're definitely going external, buy a sealed brick designed for that, I would STRONGLY recommend against going DIY.

I still have one 12V and one 19V G-Unique ATX plug-in spare, also a tiny 230W 19V GaN brick... if someone is interested...

1713806021456.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SFFMunkee