GPU BIOS editing for undervolting?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I found a thread on the HDPLEX forums on someone's build where he did some BIOS editing on his GPU to undervolt and underpower his card. I'm curious to do this as well. The Maxwell cards seem pretty good for BIOS modifying and get the max TDPs down a bit while remaining stable. I want to do this with my GTX 950. I don't have any of the new 75W variants that came out, just the 90W one but I'd like to lower the power at least to around that range, even if I may have to lower the clock speeds as well.

Anyone have any experience with this? I figure this would be somewhat popular in the SFF community, and we often keep tabs on how much power our components consume, but I don't much undervolting talked about here.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

You could try to emulate a 75W GTX 950 following this 970 mod example.

This is what I am going to do with my future 970 as I mostly need CUDA cores.

EDIT : I did not see you referred to the same thread...

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Cool, I think that blog post makes things easier to read, though. I am not very familiar with many of the features of the Maxwell tweaker, especially the voltage table and boost table. Power table settings are straightforward, however. If possible, I could make power reduction easier if I could just disable the boost clock speeds and adjust the power table to use 10-15 less watts.

When I do consider upgrading, I can add the 970 to my list as well for this guide.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've seen some 750Ti guides for mining before, since I used to mine with a bunch of these cards :D I managed to flash the bios on my GTX 950 with a new power max TDP of 80w so I'm stepping it down gradually before I try going lower. I still need to run benchmark tests to see if nothing craps out in these new settings. I'm more worried about the 150w power brick being able to handle it than the GPU, though.