Motherboard Z690 ITX Motherboards

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
TDLR - Most of these will not fit an L12S or L12 Ghost.

Personally the ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax interests me the most.

ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax

ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB4

Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4

Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI

There is also an MSI board with 3X M.2 on the way...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If you check this post he was able to fit the NH-L12S on the Gigabyte z690 DDR4 and this post where he was able to fit the NH-L12 GE also on the Gigabyte z690 DDR4. Both coolers were very snug but they did fit. Unless you have very specific applications DDR5 is going to be wasted money.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
If I was building an ITX Alderlake rig anytime soon, the only half sensible choice is the Gigabyte DDR4 board.
A better bet is to wait for the B660 ITX boards if you don't plan on a 12900k.
B660 is more than enough for 12700k and under. Rumor is you might lose the PCI-E 5.0 on B660 but at this point in time that's about as much use as a chocolate watch anyway ;)

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If I was building an ITX Alderlake rig anytime soon, the only half sensible choice is the Gigabyte DDR4 board.
A better bet is to wait for the B660 ITX boards if you don't plan on a 12900k.
B660 is more than enough for 12700k and under. Rumor is you might lose the PCI-E 5.0 on B660 but at this point in time that's about as much use as a chocolate watch anyway ;)
Totally agree with you. I ordered the 12600k and Gigabyte z690 DDR4 couple days ago, besides availability the Gigabyte was the obvious choice. I have a 32GB set of G Skill TridentZ that I am glad I can reuse. PCI-E 5.0 worries me. If Intel did it AMD will have to and then the GPU makers will change to PCI-E 5.0, if you think we have problems with PCI-E 4.0 riser cables just wait for PCI-E 5.0.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Has anyone confirmed whether the auxiliary power (uses molex to plug to PSU) to the M.2 daughterboard in both Z690I Aorus Ultra DDR5 and DDR4 are optional or it is required? The manual just mention to plug it in but does not mention anything else or what it is for.

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
i read somewhere that wall power draw of DDR4 in a Alderlake sysytem can be like 50w lower in some cases. Cant find the source now but if true would be another reason to stay on ddr4 for Alderalke and Raptorlake.

Reactions: ikjadoon

ikjadoon

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2017
What’s up with USB-A ports? You’d think with so many HSIO lanes unused on mini-ITX, they could throw us a bone.

Maybe I’m old school, but 5x USA-A ports on a desktop motherboards seems oddly limiting. 😞

ASRock Z690 Phantom - 5x
ASRock Z690M - 6x
MSI Z690I MEG - 6x
ASUS Z690I - 7x
Gigabyte Z690I (D4) - 7x
Gigabyte Z690I (D5) - 7x

Mouse, keyboard, webcam, microphone, phone, hard drive: God forbid I’d like to plug in a DAC…

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
What’s up with USB-A ports? You’d think with so many HSIO lanes unused on mini-ITX, they could throw us a bone.

Maybe I’m old school, but 5x USA-A ports on a desktop motherboards seems oddly limiting. 😞

ASRock Z690 Phantom - 5x
ASRock Z690M - 6x
MSI Z690I MEG - 6x
ASUS Z690I - 7x
Gigabyte Z690I (D4) - 7x
Gigabyte Z690I (D5) - 7x

Mouse, keyboard, webcam, microphone, phone, hard drive: God forbid I’d like to plug in a DAC…
I'm feeling you man, I love my C8I for those USB ports at the back. At some point we'll need a USB hub that plugs directly on to the header on the board LOL

• Haha

ikjadoon

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2017
i read somewhere that wall power draw of DDR4 in a Alderlake sysytem can be like 50w lower in some cases. Cant find the source now but if true would be another reason to stay on ddr4 for Alderalke and Raptorlake.
I've not seen 50W yet, but Tom's Hardware did find that DDR5 can add between 1W to 25W more. Sometimes, the i7-12600K DDR5 consumes more than the i9-12900K DDR4.

Dark mode warning:

//

Returning to the motherboard topic, has anyone noticed that many Z690 mini-ITX motherboards have poor cooler compatibility? I'm not kidding: the Noctua L9i is "mechanically incompatible" with the
I'm sorry, but how is a 37mm cooler mechanically incompatible with so many mini-ITX motherboards?! I assume the socket area, but really? This is like board layout 101, no? Swing and a miss on rev 1.0—I can only expect either motherboard manufacturers will update to rev 2.0 or perhaps Noctua needs to fix its brackets, as the normal D15 and LGA-1700-bracket-included-D15 actually have different motherboard compatibility.

Due to clearance issues, this motherboard is only compatible with NH-D15 coolers that already include LGA1700 mounting parts. CAUTION: Do NOT install older NH-D15 coolers on this motherboard using mounting upgrade kits as there is a high risk of damaging the motherboard. Only newer models that already include LGA1700 mounting parts can be installed safely.

No word on AIO or water block compatibility, but I'm worried it'll be even worse.

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Noctua is making or has a new version of the L9i that is compatible with LGA1700, yes? Well, that also means buying a new cooler.

Mounting hole location and dimensions have changed with LGA1700 and the CPU itself is larger as well. Seems like the older cooler's mounting hardware/location are just not suitable.

Just like there's no news from Thermalright AXP90 range as well on LGA1700, considering most small top down coolers will require mounting from the back of the motherboard, making it not as simple as changing the mounting bracket.

The pains of being an early adopter, it would seem.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Noctua is making or has a new version of the L9i that is compatible with LGA1700, yes? Well, that also means buying a new cooler.

Mounting hole location and dimensions have changed with LGA1700 and the CPU itself is larger as well. Seems like the older cooler's mounting hardware/location are just not suitable.

Just like there's no news from Thermalright AXP90 range as well on LGA1700, considering most small top down coolers will require mounting from the back of the motherboard, making it not as simple as changing the mounting bracket.

The pains of being an early adopter, it would seem.

AXP90 seems to fit on the Asus - thanks @GucksTV for testing

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
AXP90 seems to fit on the Asus - thanks @GucksTV for testing

Looks like a damn snug fit, with maybe a millimeter to spare against the daughterboard and top VRM heatsink (with a little push here and there).

Doesn't look like the provided Thermalright backplate will fit either?

Looking at the ASUS Z690I on the left, it looks like the LGA1700 mounting holes is slightly larger (like two circles combined together) compared to Gigabyte's Z690I (one single circular hole). Maybe that is what that helps the mounting of the AXP90?

Edit:

According to ASUS, their Z690 motherboards have mounting holes that support both LGA1700 and LGA 1200 coolers. Seems like ASUS's Z690-I would be a good choice to start if one doesn't want to spend on a new cooler/mounting kit, but that is also dependent on your existing's cooler cold plate can cover the hotspots, and if it fits within the board? Your mileage will definitely vary, it seems.

Side note, so much for standardization of motherboard specifications eh? Let's see when they come out with their B660 boards, if there are such mounting holes too.

Last edited:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
I've not seen 50W yet, but Tom's Hardware did find that DDR5 can add between 1W to 25W more. Sometimes, the i7-12600K DDR5 consumes more than the i9-12900K DDR4.

Dark mode warning:

//

Returning to the motherboard topic, has anyone noticed that many Z690 mini-ITX motherboards have poor cooler compatibility? I'm not kidding: the Noctua L9i is "mechanically incompatible" with the
I'm sorry, but how is a 37mm cooler mechanically incompatible with so many mini-ITX motherboards?! I assume the socket area, but really? This is like board layout 101, no? Swing and a miss on rev 1.0—I can only expect either motherboard manufacturers will update to rev 2.0 or perhaps Noctua needs to fix its brackets, as the normal D15 and LGA-1700-bracket-included-D15 actually have different motherboard compatibility.

No word on AIO or water block compatibility, but I'm worried it'll be even worse.
The reason L9i is incompatible with 1700 is because its made with socket 115X/1200 in mind. Noctua has clarified that its incompatible with 1700 and will not make any mounting brackets for 1700. Thats why they have released L9i-17XX specifically for 1700.

"Due to severe compatibility restrictions, there will be no upgrade kit for NH-L9i series coolers. Instead, Noctua will introduce new, dedicated revisions for LGA1700 both of the regular NH-L9i and the chromax.black version. The new NH-L9i-17xx and NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black will be officially released in October."

ikjadoon

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2017
The reason L9i is incompatible with 1700 is because its made with socket 115X/1200 in mind. Noctua has clarified that its incompatible with 1700 and will not make any mounting brackets for 1700. Thats why they have released L9i-17XX specifically for 1700.

"Due to severe compatibility restrictions, there will be no upgrade kit for NH-L9i series coolers. Instead, Noctua will introduce new, dedicated revisions for LGA1700 both of the regular NH-L9i and the chromax.black version. The new NH-L9i-17xx and NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black will be officially released in October."
Oh, there ya go. Missed the now quite-clear front page story on it. I'd forgotten the L9i doesn't use even use brackets.

Usually, it's just a bracket change (e.g., LGA2066 and LGA11xx), but even the NH-D15 (which definitely uses brackets) requires a new heatsink revision for the best LGA1700 compatibility. I'd expected coolers designed for LG11xx and LGA2066 to just need brackets, but not this time.

//

On that note, Arctic has shared their CPU block's PCB cover is not compatible with some LGA1700 boards, including the ASUS Z690i ROG STRIX; the updated PCB cover can be ordered here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broxin and rfarmer

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
hey guys...I know its in german but maybe the pictures and shown hardware will help some of you to decide which coolers would be the best for a high-end watercooled SFF / ITX System:

Its the Asus Z690-i and I had the Barrow LRC 2.0 (CPU Cooler Pump Combo) with LGA 1200 Backplate and the Alphacool Eisbaer LT Solo (supports LGA 1700 already) but the sad thing about that one is that it overhangs the DDR5 slot of the Asus Board...so maybe something like a Nouvolo Aquanaut would be the only real solution for a system like that? :) Anyways...the Barrow LRC 2.0 does fit, but is a bit higher with ~70mm height!
Hope the Video does help some of you. <3