Not open for further replies.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hey guys!

Exactly 2 months ago I revealed the case here on the forum, and I think it's time to show you a quick build pic:

We are still missing a few pieces (PSU cable, Front IO, Power Switch, etc), but I think this can give you some idea of how the final product will be...

Please leave a comment, we really appreciate any feedback ;)

Thank you all guys, we really appreciate the support! :)

Just an important thing I would like to add: the hardware shown on this pic probably won't be recommended, because of the "flat" tempered-glass. We just wanted to test the absolute maximum supported CPU cooler and GPU (in therms of dimensions).

About temps, we are expecting this case to work better with a blower-style GPU.
For CPU cooler, the best choice might be something with the shape of Scythe Kozuti / Jitte, Xigmatek Janus (without top fan) or Dan-HSLP-48, because of the extra gap it leaves on top of the fan. Something small like the Noctua L9i and similars might work too, we will test.

These next couple weeks we will tweak the design, and prepare the final version.
So, don't hesitate to post, negative feedbacks are more than welcome too! XD

Cheers

PS: Kickstarter date is still expected to be on July 1st (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
Reactions: JournaL

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
So, don't hesitate to post, negative feedbacks are more than welcome too! XD

So far we only have visuals to go on. Don't think you'll find any negative feedback there as it looks amazing. What it comes down to for me and I imagine for many others is how much, if any, impact the tempered glass + front opening has on thermals. If it performs well with mid to high level hardware you've probably got a winner. I understand waiting to test until you can use a blower style card though.

Also, I dont have any experience with thay form factor psu, whats the noise like with the tiny fan?

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
So far we only have visuals to go on. Don't think you'll find any negative feedback there as it looks amazing. What it comes down to for me and I imagine for many others is how much, if any, impact the tempered glass + front opening has on thermals. If it performs well with mid to high level hardware you've probably got a winner. I understand waiting to test until you can use a blower style card though.

Also, I dont have any experience with thay form factor psu, whats the noise like with the tiny fan?

Thank you for the feedback :)

I agree with you, this project will all come down to the temp tests. It's a big risk we are taking by using a "flat" tempered glass, but it will be worth if it works. So we are pretty anxious for those tests too.

About Flex-ATX psu, most units on the market are loud, I have to admit. But we found a very good unit, that we are thinking to include with our case, as a "PSU Bundle Edition". You can check more info about the psu here or here.
We will make a complete review about it soon, and will also try to send a sample unit for SFFn to check.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hello guys!

We are doing the redesign this week, and there is only 1 big thing left to decide: the PSU choice. Here are the options we have:

- Flex-ATX: Case size = 38 x 29 x 7,2cm = 7,9L volume; 5x 2,5" HDDs support; + a surprise feature.
- SFX: Case size = 38 x 31 x 8cm = 9,4L volume; 3x 2,5" HDDs support.

So basically, if we change the PSU from Flex to SFX, we have to increase ~1,5L volume and lose 2 HDDs + a surprise feature.
Also, remember that we found an awesome Flex-ATX unit (600w 80+ Platinum, very quiet), that we will include with our case for an extra $100 (as an option) if we choose that route.

Please, give us some input about this, as we are having a really hard time to choose XD

PS: The case will look much better and innovative with the Flex option, in my opinion. BUT, it's been a pain to convince people, so I dunno what to do lol

Last edited:
Reactions: HeroXLazer

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Hello guys!

We are doing the redesign this week, and there is only 1 big thing left to decide: the PSU choice.
Here are the options we have:

- Flex-ATX: Case size = 38 x 29 x 7,2cm = 7,9L volume; 5x 2,5" HDDs support; + a surprise feature.

- SFX: Case size = 38 x 31 x 8cm = 9,4L volume; 3x 2,5" HDDs support.

So basically, if we change the PSU from Flex to SFX, we have to increase ~1,5L volume and lose 2 HDDs + a surprise feature.
Also, remember that we found an awesome Flex-ATX unit (600w 80+ Platinum, very quiet), that we will include with our case for an extra $100 (as an option) if we choose that route.

Please, give us some input about this, as we are having a really hard time to choose XD

Real question is: do you have an alternative for this "very-quiet" Flex-ATX in a range of Flex-ATX PSUs? If there is only one such nice PSU in this format on the market, then this will be a problem for many potential buyers (only one good PSU for a case makes it not futureproof).

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Flex PSU can be silent by a small modding: remove 40mm fan and add 80mmx10mm fan on top, thickness change to 50mm, I'm going to provide that kit for my case which use Flex.

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Real question is: do you have an alternative for this "very-quiet" Flex-ATX in a range of Flex-ATX PSUs? If there is only one such nice PSU in this format on the market, then this will be a problem for many potential buyers (only one good PSU for a case makes it not futureproof).
Good point. To be fair, there are only 2 or 3 quiet and powerful Flex options on the market right now (mostly from Enhance), and they are really hard to find. That's why we would have to sell the psus on our website, if we choose Flex.

But, than I think about the S4 mini, which has a very niche psu option, and is one of the most sold sff cases lol.

Flex PSU can be silent by a small modding: remove 40mm fan and add 80mmx10mm fan on top, thickness change to 50mm, I'm going to provide that kit.
We won't choose that option, as it requires too much work and customization. But thanks for the suggestion ;)

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2018
It's about function and form and style.

style wise you aced it. form is there, function .... I've been doing research about PSUs before going into starting my own prototype. my conclusion was to go with sfx psu. that being said, if you want to stick to flex psu its a risk you should be willing to take. I believe you are going to limit your wattage to 600 Watts max which is more than enough for a high-end system, but i still believe that your design have the size to fit sfx PSU plus 1 2.5" ssd, (7mm thick), your gap opining might require some adjustments, maybe you can make a swap-able bracket to fit either flex atx or sfx psus, create holes in side of your case to ventilate the psu if your going sfx and it's fan should be of no problem to your front gap air intake.

I know that there are people whom are big fan of flex PSUs. do a toll on this matter and it might give you the feedback you want. Good luck.

Fruergaard

Trash Compacter
Feb 13, 2018
The SFX option would also allow for higher CPU coolers, correct?

Choose what you are passionate about. And if you can show a silent Flex PSU and bundle it with the case I don't think you will lose that many customers (though remember you have to supply service on those PSUs as well).

As Marwan wrote, can you make it slimmer with SFX by taking some SSD support way?
Look toward the future where most people will use M.2 drives and if needed external 3.5" HDDer.

Best option is to allow for both PSU in the same case. And state that with a SFX you might see higher CPU temperatures due to blocking the vent hole?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Btw guys, here is the "surprise feature". I can't promise it, but it's totally doable if we end up choosing Flex as the psu option.
Would you like this? XD

I like the idea, but I would not want this as a standard feature. This is more an optional feature imo. No one really needs to have such a display in a case, but I understand enthusiasts who want it. So offer them the option to buy, but don't force everyone to buy the case with the LCD. I personally would not need it, and would thus not want to pay extra for it.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hey guys!

Just a quick update: v2 prototypes are being manufactured right now, with lots of improvements and fixes. I'll talk more about it in a few days.

Also, we have some REALLY exciting news to share. I'm hoping to confirm it in a few weeks, so stay tuned.

While you wait, enjoy some more v1 prototype build pics:

Any thoughts? Cheers! :)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Btw guys, here is the "surprise feature". I can't promise it, but it's totally doable if we end up choosing Flex as the psu option.
Would you like this? XD

I also agree definitely an ungraded choice. I personally love it and would be interested based on what the up charge is

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2018
Hey guys!

Just a quick update: v2 prototypes are being manufactured right now, with lots of improvements and fixes. I'll talk more about it in a few days.

Also, we have some REALLY exciting news to share. I'm hoping to confirm it in a few weeks, so stay tuned.

While you wait, enjoy some more v1 prototype build pics:

Any thoughts? Cheers! :)

Looks awesome.

Fruergaard

Trash Compacter
Feb 13, 2018
Looks really great, can't wait for the next update :thumb:

Can you give a short review of your C7 copper vs alu version?

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Thanks for the comments guys :)

It looks good but it will be hard to sell without the sfx psu support
I think it's too late to add SFX support, as we already ordered the v2 prototypes.
BUT, it's possible that we add it after the campaign finishes, as it doesn't require much design change. We will make a poll in the future to make sure what most people want.

Can you give a short review of your C7 copper vs alu version?
We didn't make thermal tests yet, as the v1 prototype has some tolerance problems. We will make them as soon as the v2 prototypes arrive, I'll let you guys know.

Cheers!

Reactions: HeroXLazer
Status
Not open for further replies.