Xigmatek Nebula C mATX mod

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This might not be the most perfectly finished casemod in the forum, I just like a hands-on approach to my casemods. Basically because I don't know 3D design yet and Ron Swanson is a fictional hero.

The case, in its original form, next to an Ncase M1:

Only room for one fan (120mm), ATX PSU support and the thing is still a lot bigger than the Ncase.

Meet Dave, the motherboard tray I recuperated from my Lian-Li PC-V352:

Dave needed some trimming using The Nibbler:

Now let's get back to the Xigmatek. In dire need of nibbling too:

Yep, I cut that rear open. From the rubble, we start anew:

(notice the rail)

(notice another rail)

It's current state:

Still left to do:
- figure out where I want the PSU (front bottom, front top, rear bottom, rear top)
- finish the back with either a cutout for the PSU or for a power connector (extension cable)
- figure out a construction for the rear for the motherboard tray to mount on
- redo the rivets on the tray or just leave them and use for fastening to the case
- get bigger feet for more bottom clearance for airflow
- maybe the case's interior matte black to hide scuff marks and scratches
- be done before the Kimera Cerberus ships or it'll probably end unfinished

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
This is going to be good, I just love case mods that show how much more could've been done with the space available!

Would there be enough space to make a two-chamber design like the Carbide Air 240? Just as an additional idea for the PSU position.
Will you shorten the motherboard tray to fit inside completely?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for the feedback and likes !

Would there be enough space to make a two-chamber design like the Carbide Air 240? Just as an additional idea for the PSU position.
For the moment I'm not planning it as it would mean I'd have to make holes in a side panel, which I'm trying to avoid. I'm contemplating doing cutouts in the top below the topmost panel, so air can vent out around it in the gaps. And I'm going to get cool air from the bottom. I have two 140mm fans waiting for that purpose.

Will you shorten the motherboard tray to fit inside completely?
I can't, the tray is basically the size of a full-size mATX board (example). It the moment it protudes about 12-15mm I'd guess.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
So the whole mobo+GPU assembly slides out like a drawer? That's pretty awesome.

On PSU placement, knowing the mobo+GPU can move a substantial distance:

If the PSU is mounted at the front of the case, the cable length (worst-case scenario) would have to be almost 2x the case's depth to accommodate the sliding action.
For example, the 4-pin or EPS on the mobo located near the back of case now slides out to 1.5x-2x depth

I think if the PSU was at the rear, then you don't have that problem because it is located in the midpoint of when the tray is slid in, and when the tray is slid out.

This all assumes you want to slide out the tray with all cables connected of course.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If the PSU is mounted at the front of the case, the cable length (worst-case scenario) would have to be almost 2x the case's depth to accommodate the sliding action.

With that in mind, the ideal position would be above the CPU cooler but reversed and moved into the case a good bit, which would be interesting to say the least. If you use a fully modular PSU, you'd gain the benefit of being able to easily remove all the cables to slide the tray out fully.

EDIT:

I can't, the tray is basically the size of a full-size mATX board (example). It the moment it protudes about 12-15mm I'd guess.

That's quite substantial, what a shame :/ Any plans to cover that up?

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yep, I'm planning to make a frame against the rear so the tray can be attached securely to it. But I'm still figuring that out. Any millimeter I can save internally will effect that external increase, so I'll try to minimize the internal margin.

Internal cabling won't be a problem though as it's a modular PSU (for now ST45SF-G) and I have enough cabling (stock and flat). The side panels and front panel can be removed toollessly.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The last month I've been making the aformentioned frame, it's nearing completion:

The frame three-fourths done. Don't mind the scuffmarks, I'll be priming and painting it satin black like the rest of the frame.
The gap on the left is going to be filled with a piece of the Lian-Li case that donated the motherboard tray. I'll be making a hole above the motherboard I/O shield for a 140mm fan of which I intend to use two in this case, the other goes on the bottom.

While the 45° angles on the U-beams seem OK, I'm not entirely happy and I'm contemplating attaching some corners, but I have yet to find any.

The side, here you can see how I attached the top rail. I needed to raise the rail by about 5mm because somewhere I miscalculated.
It's fixed now. Here you can see how little space there is left at the front of the case (right on the photo).

Looking good like that, filled from top to bottom !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I found a good piece of donor aluminium in the case panels from the Lian-Li case that already donated some bits and pieces.

Nom nom nom !

After some filing. As a reminder, I'm going to be spray-painting all of this in satin black.
This panel fits perfectly, less than a millimeter of tolerance on the sides !

Opening is a fraction of a millimeter, I'm content.

Almost done with the fan mount, I need to file some more to have it centered, but it's getting there. That's a 140mm Noctua Redux with 120mm fan mounts, no screw holes yet.

I'll also be adding a power connector from an extra extender I have, later.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Huge update, as many aspects have been sorted out and just need fine-tuning.

Idea for the SFX PSU mount. The right is the front, that white panel is the front panel. Motivation: I can have all the cables stuffed in the back.
It's hovering on two protruding tabs and the ATX to SFX adapter is wrapped around the truss with its lip.

This is what it would look like from the side, showing the clearance in front. I was also trying out placement of the HDD rack.

But I flipped the PSU around, because the way I had it before, I could never fit an SFX-L PSU properly. So now the power connector is in the front. Although that way the ATX to SFX bracket would be extending a few centimeters if I wanted to place it optimally.

Here it's propped up by two pieces of hard silicone material that was just the right size. I'm going to investigate if I can dye these black.

And here you can see how I attached the ATX to SFX adapter to the frame. I found suitable standoffs, drilled holes at 2.5, threaded them for M3, screwed them in properly (the tiny bit of space between frame and standoff is threadless). Because the PSU is also against the same truss structure and wedged below with the silicone bars, it's mounted very sturdy.

Dat tolerance. That's an original Ncase M1 extender which I've sleeved up. I needed another one for the SFX-L 500W PSU which has a differently oriented connector, so I had this one still around.

Front view. The cooling is going to be a problem, but I'll tackle that when I get there. I'll be needing quite the airflow to get all of this to not melt into a puddle.

And while I was at it, I mounted the HDD bay thingie. It's held in by four screws so it is removable. Depending on the use case (server or gaming), I can remove this to have an extra fan at the bottom.

Made for 90 degree angle connectors, but at the front and thus easy to remove and connect.

Overview shoot from the rear.

And I replaced those tiny, useless feet with the ones from the donor Lian-Li PC-V352. Also more bottom clearance which is good for airflow since the rear and bottom are going to be the only ventilated sides.

And lastly, the motherboard tray has had its many coats of primer:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

It's at the moment drying from a touch-up but for me it's done and ready to go. Now I'll need to extend the AC extension, tap threads in some holes, do the internal I/O cabling better and get to installing something in it !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

mITX board with GPU and Noctua NH-L12 fitment testing.

Black screws, black fan grill, looking neato !

Front view. The CPU heatsink and HDD bracket are on a collision course !

But they fit ! Barely.
3,5" HDD support ruining a good SFF case like usual.

Cabling it up ! I inserted a T-style SATA connector for the HDD.

Dual long GPUs and PSU cooling isn't going to work in this case.

Those tolerances again at the left of the picture (front of the case). And why I can't orient the PSU the other way for cooling.

Yeah, the panels still fit :)

Now I need to look for a slim offset tower cooler, some motherboard standoffs and figure out why the GPU keeps crapping out when I load the driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeshikat

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm looking for a tower heatsink that's slim enough to sit past the HDD rack, since this build in this configuration will need the HDD (or more) and not use any GPU.
EDIT: never mind, it would need to be offset a lot, I doubt there is a tower heatsink that could fit.

I must have finally broken the Radeon after man-handling that thing for years. After removing the driver and reinstalling it (had been swapping different AMD GPUs and an Nvidia GPU on that build's install more than a few times) it did seem to work for about 4 hours, than it just gave a light blue screen without anything on it and not responding to power button presses anymore.

I have also yet to get the iGPU working, but I need to look at some BIOS changes I've made in the past for that.
EDIT 2: fixed the iGPU, going to need to look into if GPU Render Standby was the cause or selecting it as Primary.

Last edited: