Power Supply Xbox 360 Elite PC case concept

Nightfire37

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
Tl;Dr guidance on 400-500w power supplies. Needs to be compact.

Hey guys,

I have an idea as my next PC and I wanted to use the Xbox 360 Elite as the case. Being that I am new to small form factors in general I'm somewhat finding it difficult to wrap my head around finding suitable power.

The purpose of this build is to completely replace my current and basically rebuild a new one. What I do with my current PC is game on three 1080p 60hz (yes I'm still in the 60hz time lol) and some workstation stuff but it is mostly a gaming PC at the end of the day.

I have speced out what I want to go into this build. A ryzen 5 1600, 16 gbs of RAM, and a 1070 either non TI or TI. I haven't made up my mind on it yet. I am going to add an m.2 and a 2.5 inch hdd for storage. I'm sad for the fact that I won't be adding in the ODD because there is simply not enough room.

In terms of power, yes I am going to overclock the CPU and gpu so I estimate that I need about 400 to 500 watts. I don't mind using laptop chargers to accomplish this and I don't mind running two if need be. I guess that I just need some pointing in the right direction.

I have seen the hdplex 400w but being that ryzen 5 can consume about 120w of power oced to about 4ghz that doesn't give me some room to play with the gpu.

The Dell 330w power supplies are a good from what I've seen but it's 330w sadly.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Tl;Dr guidance on 400-500w power supplies. Needs to be compact.

Hey guys,

I have an idea as my next PC and I wanted to use the Xbox 360 Elite as the case. Being that I am new to small form factors in general I'm somewhat finding it difficult to wrap my head around finding suitable power.

The purpose of this build is to completely replace my current and basically rebuild a new one. What I do with my current PC is game on three 1080p 60hz (yes I'm still in the 60hz time lol) and some workstation stuff but it is mostly a gaming PC at the end of the day.

I have speced out what I want to go into this build. A ryzen 5 1600, 16 gbs of RAM, and a 1070 either non TI or TI. I haven't made up my mind on it yet. I am going to add an m.2 and a 2.5 inch hdd for storage. I'm sad for the fact that I won't be adding in the ODD because there is simply not enough room.

In terms of power, yes I am going to overclock the CPU and gpu so I estimate that I need about 400 to 500 watts. I don't mind using laptop chargers to accomplish this and I don't mind running two if need be. I guess that I just need some pointing in the right direction.

I have seen the hdplex 400w but being that ryzen 5 can consume about 120w of power oced to about 4ghz that doesn't give me some room to play with the gpu.

The Dell 330w power supplies are a good from what I've seen but it's 330w sadly.
What about @guryhwa's Power Supplies and Power Bricks?

Reactions: Nightfire37

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
You'll need to consider the amount of heat that the components will generate and how to evacuate it. 270+ W to 300+ W is a lot to deal with in such a small enclosure.

Nightfire37

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
Cool (puns intended). I look forward to what you come up with.
HAHA yeah it is going to be a tight squeeze. I have some pictures of just very basic stuff like the size of the motherboard. i know i am going to have to do some cutting with the metal shell to mount the i/o shield and the screws. I hope that i can keep a lot of its strength being that it has those really long torx screws.

Reactions: Soul_Est