Would this work for a system that is not low end?

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Just wondering, if a system in that case would do well with todays games, no side vents concern me...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Tiny fans, almost no ventilation holes. It's a 4-5 year old HTPC case. You could maybe deal with a few hundred watt of heat-generating devices with loud fans but I wouldn't put a >50W TDP CPU and >100W TDP Radeon or Geforce in there.

It fascinates me how you keep orbiting these kind of HTPC/desktop cases that have been out of stock for years. A proper tower case with front, bottom and top ventilation (when upright) is really a better option and also still made. But it has been said before more than a few times.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Tiny fans, almost no ventilation holes. It's a 4-5 year old HTPC case. You could maybe deal with a few hundred watt of heat-generating devices with loud fans but I wouldn't put a >50W TDP CPU and >100W TDP Radeon or Geforce in there.

It fascinates me how you keep orbiting these kind of HTPC/desktop cases that have been out of stock for years. A proper tower case with front, bottom and top ventilation (when upright) is really a better option and also still made. But it has been said before more than a few times.

Ok, just love cases that small & wonder why they seem to be none existent really, if a SG05 would work for a mITX, why do cases for mATX & ATX that take reg. height cards seem to be higher or wider???

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
They are higher because you need space for the PEG connector on the GPU. All the cases you're posting about are not high because the GPU will only be 1-4mm away from the sidepanel, which disallows the use of any GPU with a PEG connector, so anything stronger than a GTX 750Ti.

Additionally, all these full ATX cases you post are actually wider than something like the SG01, SG02, SG11 or SG12, all of which are pretty much the exact same layout as you posted, just as small as possible and designed for use with high-power GPUs.
That means that they appear to be even higher, they don't have that HiFi look on the front to them, but they are still smaller than the case you posted here.

If you could tell us what the problem with any of the Silverstone SG01, SG02, SG11 or SG12 is, we could maybe help you a bit easier to find a case the suits your needs.

If you really want to use this case, though you could modify the outer shell by adding more vent holes and you'd have to modify your GPU.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
The SG05 is 176 mm & SG01 216 mm... Just love the SG05 height & I wonder why the case that take atx are so wide, if they are that same height as the SG05??

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The SG05 is 176 mm & SG01 216 mm... Just love the SG05 height & I wonder why the case that take atx are so wide, if they are that same height as the SG05??

Is that a serious question? ATX boards are up to 305mm wide, mATX up to 244mm, mITX are 170. How would you put an mATX board in a SG05? And why aren't you answering my question? What is wrong with the SG01? It's literally the SG05 just for mATX.

Phuncz, FYI your link didn't seem to work, it just says...

I second that, link doesn't work.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Is that a serious question? ATX boards are up to 305mm wide, mATX up to 244mm, mITX are 170. How would you put an mATX board in a SG05? And why aren't you answering my question? What is wrong with the SG01? It's literally the SG05 just for mATX.

Sorry for the confusion, no I didn't mean try to put a atx in a SG05, just meant the case I linked is 14.5ish wide, the ATX cases that are 7ish high always seem to be wider now & the 5 is not the same hight as a 1... Why do ATX cases around 7 tall always put the PSU on the side anyway?

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
Just to add to what iFreilicht said here, maybe if you could just outline your requirements of what it is you're looking for in a case & budget it would be easier for everyone to help with better suggestions.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I have no idea what you're talking about, could you elaborate?

Now could you please, PLEASE answer my question: What is wrong with the SG01?

The height. the S0G5 is like 7 in. not sure why the SG01 has to be 8.50ish tall...

Just to add to what iFreilicht said here, maybe if you could just outline your requirements of what it is you're looking for in a case & budget it would be easier for everyone to help with better suggestions.

A case as high as the SG05 & wide as a SG01 (or maybe wider for a fifth slot to put a dual slot GPU it & not take up 2 board slots), cause the SG01 might have issues going in a small bag...

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ah, now we're getting somewhere! Now that I understand the problem, it's quite interesting that there's no solution to it.

You see, because mATX boards allow two power-hungry cards to be used, manufacturers of such cases want to make every combination of components work in that case. This means, unfortunately, opting for a ATX PSU. Because Silverstone wanted similar CPU cooler compatibility with the SG01 and SG05, they had to make the SG01 taller in order to fit an ATX PSU and a <82mm cooler in there.

Now comes the interesting part: Silverstone has made a redesign of the SG05 called the SG13 which allows ATX PSUs to be used, but only with 61mm CPU coolers. Additionally, they increased the height by 5mm, not really noticable.

So the case you're searching for would more likely be an SG13 that's just two slots wider, or, as you said, an SG05 as wide as the SG01. Unfortunately, Silverstone already made those redesigns with the SG11 and the SG12 without reducing the height. This is most likely because they wanted to keep the 80mm GPU area exhaust fan at the back and compatibility with larger CPU coolers.

I searched the geizhals.eu catalogue for a case like the one you desire and what I found is: It doesn't exist. I looked at 155 mATX cases between 15L and 25L and none of them is what you want. The only thing that may work for you is the Silverstone GD02, a case that is long out of production and was intended as an HTPC case, but due to the dented top panel, modern GPUs with PEG connectors should fit, and it's the slimmest you can get with that setup. It does have its PSU to the side, though, so it's rather wide.
Everything else I saw was either a micro tower, only fits low-profile cards or only fits GPUs with their PEG connectors at the front, which is currently only done by the AMD R9 Nano.

I'm sorry to tell you that your only way of getting what you want of this seems to be to get an SG01/02/11/12 and mod it. Or you could get a micro tower and cut away the portion where the PSU normally resides.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I'm guessing you want mATX because you have an additional add-in card you want to use. Have you considered actually using mITX, but going the bifurcation route?

Whether you decide to do this or modify an existing Silverstone ITX case for mATX use, it is going to be modification that will be necessary to get what you want.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
Given your desired dimensions and format, I think both Vittra and iFreilicht are right in thinking that you're not going to really find anything commercially available that fits exactly what you're looking for.

You could also just design and build your own case. You could carve up an existing case for parts or make them from scratch (PCI cage, motherboard tray, etc). I have a project where I didn't have an old chassis to cut parts out of so I framed out everything and bought a $16USD replacement PCI cage from Case Labs so I didn't have to deal with making those exact measurements myself. I just needed the overall L-shaped cutout and holes for the mounting screws. My motherboard tray is made of acrylic with standoffs, but Case Labs will also sell you a replacement S5 motherboard tray for $12USD.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Given your desired dimensions and format, I think both Vittra and iFreilicht are right in thinking that you're not going to really find anything commercially available that fits exactly what you're looking for.

You could also just design and build your own case. You could carve up an existing case for parts or make them from scratch (PCI cage, motherboard tray, etc). I have a project where I didn't have an old chassis to cut parts out of so I framed out everything and bought a $16USD replacement PCI cage from Case Labs so I didn't have to deal with making those exact measurements myself. I just needed the overall L-shaped cutout and holes for the mounting screws. My motherboard tray is made of acrylic with standoffs, but Case Labs will also sell you a replacement S5 motherboard tray for $12USD.

I have protocase, but I am wantinf something more focused on PC cases...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I have protocase, but I am wantinf something more focused on PC cases...

Protocase is all about enclosures, it's the perfect tool for the job. That's like you having a screwdriver but wanting something more focused on screwing screws in.

Also if you really want that PC case, you don't need any fancy software, you'll just buy a used case of ebay and mess around with it. A lot of mods and even scratch builds are just layed out in paint and made after hand drawn sketches.
It's not like you can't do it, you just have to start somewhere.