Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Awesome! I have backed your project and it looks amazing. Honestly, I considered not doing so because it's a shedload of cash for a case, but the sustainability aspect really convinced me. Going to have to look for a buyer for my Dan A4 in the new year!

As a side note, I work in Environmental Life Cycle Analysis so if you're interested, I would be delighted if I could try and map out your production route. I could do some deeper GHG emissions accounting as well as other metrics to give you a total carbon footprint estimation under different scenarios from cradle to gate. Furthermore, I could also investigate how much difference changing materials (such as cork vs plastic) makes, impact of shipping methods and plant manufacturers has.

You're due a well earned rest.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm also hyped!
Could you please post a picture of the side panels (especially the slide mounting) before KS goes live? So I can see if I can make myself a glass panel?
I really want to buy the Winter One, but a glass panel is important for me :)
Or is it just a solid panel with the same dimensions all around (no thinner parts for the mounting) and I would just need a glass panel with the same dimensions?

I'm waiting on a v11 prototype right now. I'll post one for you when it's available :) The sliding is very similar to what you see in the build video for v10. Difference is the panel has a straight-cut notch that locks into the front/rear rather than a bent-back edge.

What are the early bird specials?

Early Bird specials are an Additional $20 or $10 discount. There are only a few of the ISLY $10 discounts left.

kinda lame the early birds only ship to certain country. I could only get the 3rd tier/most expensive and with shipping it comes out to 400USD LOL this is ridiculous!

Everyone in the kickstarter is getting Winter One at a significant discount, because I wanted to show appreciation for all the backers. This price will never be seen again, as MSRP will be $379+ when it's available outside of KS.

The reason for the shipping restrictions on the 2 early birds are because I'm picking up a good bit of the tab on part of shipping to make it more reasonable, I had to restrict the shipping regions for the Dream and ISLY discounts. But everyone who's backing the project is getting an awesome price for the case. After all, you're the ones who believed in this project. <3

@WinterCharm from this image I got the idea that we would get perforated panels with also the solid for $24 more, but that's not the case at least from the KS option.

That's my mistake. I should have made the graphic clearer. With reserved manufacturing capacity, it's not possible to currently give people double the panels -- the additional charge covers machining the allocated billets into holed panels (further finishing and additional machine time is required due to 2.5mm thick panels)

awww. Thanks.
quick question. WinterCharm Will your riser be PCIE4?

Riser is PCIE 3.0 --- PCIE 4.0 Risers are not widely available right now. There are some risers claiming to be 4.0 compatible right now, and they are spotty on some Asus boards... I went with 3.0 risers since testing has shown no significant difference in performance, even with a 3090, on 3.0 vs 4.0

Waiting for a certified 4.0 riser would delay launch by months, and raise prices. So, we're going ahead with the launch right now. If a good 4.0 riser hits the market later, we'll offer it as an upgrade.

What exactly is ISLY?

"I Still Love You" ♥

When do you plan to do the next batch?

I'm really interested in this case, but I won't be able to back the kickstarter right now.

Sometime in the first half of next year Hard to say exactly when. It depends on how the KS goes, and whether we get stuck in production hell for a bit, or not.

WinterCharm Is the perforated add on a replacement or an addition?

It is a replacement. Because of reserved production capacity, the materials for each case are already allocated and ready to go. What you're selecting is how the slab that becomes your side panel will be machined and finished. Because the panels are 2.5mm thick, there's a considerable amount of care that goes into properly finishing the insides of the large holes, in addition to machine time from drilling, hence the extra cost.

WinterCharm a few other users have mentioned the glass panels - do you have any plans here or should we plan on fabricating our own?

Because of how many people have asked for it, I'm trying my best to figure things out. It's possible that a windowed panel will be added as a stretch goal :) stay tuned.

Awesome! I have backed your project and it looks amazing. Honestly, I considered not doing so because it's a shedload of cash for a case, but the sustainability aspect really convinced me. Going to have to look for a buyer for my Dan A4 in the new year!

As a side note, I work in Environmental Life Cycle Analysis so if you're interested, I would be delighted if I could try and map out your production route. I could do some deeper GHG emissions accounting as well as other metrics to give you a total carbon footprint estimation under different scenarios from cradle to gate. Furthermore, I could also investigate how much difference changing materials (such as cork vs plastic) makes, impact of shipping methods and plant manufacturers has.

You're due a well earned rest.

This sounds really interesting. I might take you up on that at a later date, although a close friend of mine is already running some of those numbers for me (they are also an Env. Engineer). She underscored how important it was when I talked to her about the idea and project about a year ago, and challenged me to prove it could be done in this space. Keep doing what you do, because it's so important for the world to realize that it *can* be done, and you and her are the people who encourage and challenge and support us in making it happen. ♥

Last edited:

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
@WinterCharm Would cooling performance be affected if the fans blew from the top to bottom instead of bottom to top? I dislike the look of the back of fans and I think it wouldn't make a difference but what do I know...

Reactions: WinterCharm

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Everyone in the kickstarter is getting Winter One at a significant discount, because I wanted to show appreciation for all the backers. This price will never be seen again, as MSRP will be $379 when it's available outside of KS.

The reason for the shipping restrictions on the 2 early birds are because I'm picking up a good bit of the tab on part of shipping to make it more reasonable, I had to restrict the shipping regions for the Dream and ISLY discounts. But everyone who's backing the project is getting an awesome price for the case. After all, you're the ones who believed in this project. <3
Thank you for replying but It leaves a really sour taste in my mouth since I had to stay up until 1am only to find out I have just 1 choice and that I can choose it at any time I want in the next 2 weeks. You could and should have announced the list of countries that gets the early birds in advance of the Kickstarter launch, similar to what FormD did before opening up orders for the T1. And nowhere on the KS page that the MSRP of $379 is listed, which may help nudge a few people to pledge earlier rather later.

For the config that I wanted - case + perforated panel + pump mount + shipping it comes out to $441 (a 2nd sour note on $59 shipping, IIRC this case is going to be flat packed???). Then for sure I'm gonna be slapped with another $80-100, maybe $150-200 even, in import tax so looking at at least $550 here - it's a hard pass for me. That money is going towards the 6900XT instead.

Still recommend adding glass panels, and I would argue glass panels should have been the default config with perforated and solid panels as options. Anyways congrats on the launch!

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
@WinterCharm Would cooling performance be affected if the fans blew from the top to bottom instead of bottom to top? I dislike the look of the back of fans and I think it wouldn't make a difference but what do I know...

Should be fine—the feet were explicitly designed to allow sufficient height to not impede airflow

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
I'll be honest I was kind of surprised with the price. I expected it to be higher, though not like 350$ is cheap hah. I am still hoping for a white version, though I would not be upset if i settled for the silver.

A white case with white fittings and a pair of white GTS 280s sounds lovely.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Thank you for replying but It leaves a really sour taste in my mouth since I had to stay up until 1am only to find out I have just 1 choice and that I can choose it at any time I want in the next 2 weeks. You could and should have announced the list of countries that gets the early birds in advance of the Kickstarter launch, similar to what FormD did before opening up orders for the T1. And nowhere on the KS page that the MSRP of $379 is listed, which may help nudge a few people to pledge earlier rather later.

For the config that I wanted - case + perforated panel + pump mount + shipping it comes out to $441 (a 2nd sour note on $59 shipping, IIRC this case is going to be flat packed???). Then for sure I'm gonna be slapped with another $80-100, maybe $150-200 even, in import tax so looking at at least $550 here - it's a hard pass for me. That money is going towards the 6900XT instead.

Still recommend adding glass panels, and I would argue glass panels should have been the default config with perforated and solid panels as options. Anyways congrats on the launch!

I understand how disappointing that is. It is my mistake that I didn't more clearly communicate shipping to everyone before the launch, as it was a last minute change to add a lot of extra countries, and for that I am very sorry.

I'll take these lessons to heart and do a better job in the future. If you do change your mind about Winter One, please message me, and I'll manually apply the Dream Case Discount to your order.

Cheers,
WinterCharm.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Should be fine—the feet were explicitly designed to allow sufficient height to not impede airflow

Yes, that's absolutely fine :) The only type of airflow not recommended in Winter One is "All-Intake" for reasons discussed in the detailed discussion about airflow (linked). We found that low exhaust velocity makes it far more likely that hot air is sucked back into the case, rather than flung far away.

Note: This is the same reason Nvidia put a cooler on the *reverse* side of the 3080 / 3090 FE cards.

I'll be honest I was kind of surprised with the price. I expected it to be higher, though not like 350$ is cheap hah. I am still hoping for a white version, though I would not be upset if i settled for the silver.

A white case with white fittings and a pair of white GTS 280s sounds lovely.

White is an often-requested color, but it's also much tougher to do properly with aluminum, so I don't anticipate it being on the list for this round. However, I hear you and will be working on figuring out how to make it happen.

WinterCharm, if aircooling or using the SPK, am I better off with the solid or perforated side panels? What if water cooling?

Air and Liquid Cooling are viable with *both* panel types. Perforated Panels and Solid Panels offer slightly different tradeoffs. What you choose will depend on which tradeoffs bets fit the build you're planning :)

Go for Solid Panels if you:
  1. want a quiet case
  2. want to air or liquid cool with a focus on quietness.
  3. like the minimal and very clean look
  4. don't mind being restricted to 2.5 slot GPUs
Go for perforated panels if you:
  1. want the best possible performance
  2. don't mind a bit more noise
  3. want to showcase your build
  4. want to use a 3-slot GPU

Last edited:

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
  1. want a quiet case
But I want all of those things. ?

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I'm lucky enough to be in on the dream deal for this case. I will be watercooling this build, and love the fact that I can put 280 mm rads in.

...the only thing missing from making this the best <20L case is tempered glass panels.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
  1. want a quiet case

Thanks for that. Makes things clearer, but doesn't make the decision making any easier - I want a quiet case but also want to use a 2.7-slot GPU!

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for that. Makes things clearer, but doesn't make the decision making any easier - I want a quiet case but also want to use a 2.7-slot GPU!

Quiet is a relative term. Winter One is ridiculously quiet either way, because of how good the cooling is... I think you care enough about performance, you should go for the perforated panels. :)

Mikecom32

Chassis Packer
Oct 27, 2020
Because of how many people have asked for it, I'm trying my best to figure things out. It's possible that a windowed panel will be added as a stretch goal :) stay tuned.

Great! I'm looking forward to that being an option. I backed at the ISLY tier about 45 minutes after it went live, but count me in if you're looking for a beta tester for a glass panel option. I have an engineering background and am happy to work with prototypes if needed ;)

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I'm ready to make a change to my order for this option. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for this to happen. Glass is a really big deal to me - I messaged you a few weeks back asking about glass and you suggested the vented panels.

With this being such a small case, and all the equipment that easily fits in here, glass seems like a given to show those parts off.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
  1. want a quiet case
Let me help you with the easy part, the writeup ?

Go for Glass Panels if you:
  1. want a quiet case like the solid panels
  2. want to air or liquid cool with a focus on quietness like the solid panels
  3. like the minimal and very clean look with MORE WOW than the solid panels
  4. want to showcase your build MUCH BETTER than the perforated panels
Understandably working out mounting mechanism for the glass panels is not trivial, thus it's worthy of a stretch goal. And thank you for the generous offer, I'll keep it in mind for sure ?

Reactions: DrHudacris

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm ready to make a change to my order for this option. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for this to happen. Glass is a really big deal to me - I messaged you a few weeks back asking about glass and you suggested the vented panels.

With this being such a small case, and all the equipment that easily fits in here, glass seems like a given to show those parts off.

Yeah, I understand. using TG would cause serious delays right now, however, we're looking at alternate materials (not garbage ones). Stay tuned.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Perhaps you've thought of this already, but should the SPK stretch goal be reached, would you consider a "mini" version that's overall 5cm shorter (effectively eliminating radiator support)? This would then allow for purely air cooled builds in a smaller volume, and a totally passive SPK build with no fans and a smaller volume.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@WinterCharm in the part compatibility, the stated max radiator length is 312mm which means the only supported 280mm radiator is the HWLabs? Will 316mm long rad fit somehow? I'm considering the Alphacool ST30 280mm v2 and the Koolance HX-CU1402V rad

spyfly

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2020
@WinterCharm in the part compatibility, the stated max radiator length is 312mm which means the only supported 280mm radiator is the HWLabs? Will 316mm long rad fit somehow? I'm considering the Alphacool ST30 280mm v2 and the Koolance HX-CU1402V rad

There are actually some more supported radiators:

However the hardware labs one is 153mm wide vs 140, which should provide some extra cooling performance.