Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Yeah, we had to do some troubleshooting because airflow in this case is so strong it actually hurt thermals in one of the configurations by fighting the GPU cooler, but once we got that sorted out, it's been smooth sailing ^_^

How was this sorted out, if I may ask? Most GPUs I've seen these days have vertical fins, and would exhaust some air downwards into the bottom intake fans like you'd mentioned previously. Mainly asking because if I got a Winter One, I'd probably go air-cooled aside from an AIO, with no custom loop.

PS: On another note, I have to say you've been doing a phenomenal job replying to all kinds of inquiries on your case kindly and helpfully - this transparency is something any project lead could learn from. Modbreak well deserved.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
This is one of the things I will use the "extra" width for. I'm currently working on the vF the "final" iteration of Winter One, incorporating Beta Testing feedback, and some design changes around part compatibility. I'll have some more information after the weekend!

Hello again! I was curious if you had an update in regards to the CPU clearance. I was also looking into using the Barrow combo block as well. There are currently 2 version, one is 64mm and the other is 73.5mm depending on whether or not you got the OLED version.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
I think 64mm is without fittings, they add some height (I think 72mm would be minimum with that combo block)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Oh wow! I didn't know you were making that change. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much! This really was my only concern regarding this case. Now it truly feels like my dream case. I can't wait!

While looking over some of the pictures you posted, I noticed that there is a mesh/perforated side panel. I got me thinking, would it make any sort of sense to have both rad as intake, and have the air be pushed out through the side panel? That way both radiators are takin in cool air.

I am not sure if you've had the chance to test something like that.

As noted by others, This Post earlier talks about how why this is a bad idea. This is counterintuitive, but positive pressure build are generally not the best in SFF. This is also the same reason that pull is *better* than push for radiators, because it cuts down on the recirculation of warm air.

How was this sorted out, if I may ask? Most GPUs I've seen these days have vertical fins, and would exhaust some air downwards into the bottom intake fans like you'd mentioned previously. Mainly asking because if I got a Winter One, I'd probably go air-cooled aside from an AIO, with no custom loop.

PS: On another note, I have to say you've been doing a phenomenal job replying to all kinds of inquiries on your case kindly and helpfully - this transparency is something any project lead could learn from. Modbreak well deserved.

Sorting it out ended up being quite simple -- Lower fan RPMs, and the airflow still remains strong, but calms down enough to not heavily affect GPU thermals... Dropping fans from 66% >> 50% led to a 4ºC drop in GPU temps... we're exploring the fan curve right now to figure out how much is too much for these GPUs. But in general lower fan speeds should be fine. :)

As for the Modbreak, I was really surprised. Never expected that, and I've only seen them around here a few times, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

It would be great to have extra hole in the back like the Ncase M1 to be able to put external reservoir and pump!

There's not really a good place to put it right now. The case is pretty much packed to the brim.

Hello again! I was curious if you had an update in regards to the CPU clearance. I was also looking into using the Barrow combo block as well. There are currently 2 version, one is 64mm and the other is 73.5mm depending on whether or not you got the OLED version

I'm still working to finalize the dimensions. Should have that done by tonight. Been pulling long days to get everything ready for the KS launch. It's a mad scramble, so I apologize if things take a bit longer than expected.

Last edited:

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Serious question.

Can I fund the KS campaign from India? And can you ship it here?

Can someone render a two tone winter one please???

EDIT: Can you make it look like a Mac pro,you know with the handles??

Last edited by a moderator:

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018

All exhaust (with GPU/CPU as intakes) works very well for air cooling if you use the perforated side panels.

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Wait you meant the two tone for the KS campaign?
as an optional part for the case. not everyone wants handles
Just wanted to see how it would as wintercharm did say that he has taken inspiration from the Mac Pro.
I agree about adding a two tone color as an add-on to the ks.
if it were to me I'd say Front and back panels powder coated white. All vented panels in black?