Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Seems like the Aquanaut combo block is the only realistic option if you want to go with dual 280mm rads and a standard length GPU.

I am hoping that these combo CPU blocks become more popular so we have more options in the future.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Seems like the Aquanaut combo block is the only realistic option if you want to go with dual 280mm rads and a standard length GPU.

I am hoping that these combo CPU blocks become more popular so we have more options in the future.
Some would say a D5 tucked next to a short gpu is best for noise, but I'm going the aquanaut route as well b/c it will be a much cleaner build. Going to QDC in a temporary reservoir for fill and air removal.

An apogee II might fit. Will need clarification from Winter on whether the final design will fit the barrow ITX block/res/pump unit. Right now it looks like the barrow will be 1-3 mm too tall.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
I was looking at the Barrow initially, but it might not fit. The from the coldplate to the inlet/outlet is about 60mm tall, and the smallest 90 degree fitting I could find is 20mm tall. Which is 10mm too tall for the available 70mm cpu clearance.

Of course my measurements could be completely off as I do not own the Barrow block and I am just going off their spec sheet.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I was looking at the Barrow initially, but it might not fit. The from the coldplate to the inlet/outlet is about 60mm tall, and the smallest 90 degree fitting I could find is 20mm tall. Which is 10mm too tall for the available 70mm cpu clearance.

Of course my measurements could be completely off as I do not own the Barrow block and I am just going off their spec sheet.
Your measurement is including the pump. Barrow didn't release the length from cpu to G1/4 port. Koolance LP 90s + Barrow block comes in around 70-73mm according to some.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Website is live now, seems amazing on the first look!

Thank you! :D

Sorry it took a while to get up and running. There were some unplanned changes, and I ended up needing to make a few new graphics.

For anyone who hasn't seen It yet: Here's the Winter One website.

When the Kickstarter going-live time is confirmed (still waiting to hear back, but a KS team member told me I'd hear anytime in the next few days), I'll put a countdown on the website, and start sending out email notifications.

Everyone will be able to see when the KS goes live, and I'll give 12 hours notice so everyone has a fair chance to get some of the early bird specials. :)

If we get pushed into production hell and have to move to multiple batches, you can expect me to be very upfront about when orders get delivered, same way I've been upfront about answering all questions and talking about the good / bad.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
*** MODBREAK ***

Apologies for stepping in again, but I just felt like this was deserved once again.

@WinterCharm - Dude, seriously. You have, and are, truly setting the bar for someone who is passionate, open minded, welcoming, extremely hard working in the aspect of trying to reply to as much as you possibly can on this forum.
Meanwhile probably climbing the Mount Everest for all I know (atleast that's what it seems), in terms of working on your project and getting it finished.

From me, as a moderator, I hereby just want to give you another shout out and a huge thank you for not only setting the bar for people such as yourself - innovators and people who are so passionate in actually creating something for the community - with the community as well.
But also coming through with your commitments, in terms of information, updates, promises etc.

It is very rare to find people like you, who are not only committed to your cause - but also coming through with it.
Both in terms of real world contributions - such as info, updates, different unexpected issues that has occured.
And in terms of being honest about it - that is one thing that I truly believe sets you apart from the very rare people that do these kind of things and that you have truly deserved for yourself.

It has really been a very refreshing thing, and journey, to both see and follow you on with this project.
I am truly happy for how far you have come with your project and I am sure that the community is with me on this one.

From me, the SFF team and the rest of the community - A huge thank you and well done sir!

This is undoubtedly truly well deserved!

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Agree that this is one of the most professionally handled projects I've seen on here

You said everything I said in an essay, in a simple sentence - nice!

@Dawelio you're too kind. I'm at a loss for words, so I'll just say:

Well it is us who should be thanking you sir. You're the one doing all of the work and you should be proud of not only this project of yours, but also this thread.
This thread is real world proof of someone extraordinary in what he does. And that my friend, is a very rare thing. So thank you! :)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
This bring up a question ...will there still be space for SSD cage when using the SPK?

We're exploring whether this is possible, right now, but it's not currently supported with the SPK, simply because it would take away a decent bit of cooling area, and you really want fans on both "ends" of the SPK (top and bottom) to set up the pressure gradient necessary.

However, airflow in the case is *way* stronger than anticipated. @gelbetron put a 1080 with a Raijintek Morpehus in the beta unit, and the airflow in the case was strong enough to actually keep his 1080 at : 68C with 80% fan speed -- (1640rpm). -- To be clear there were NO fans on the Morpheus ?. The Morpheus is a restrictive cooler with tight fin packing, designed to have fans *attached* to it.

This is also explains why it was overwhelming side-exhaust GPU coolers, like the 2080Ti FE that @JDragon was testing. IIRC, *lowering* fan RPMs actually improved thermals in that scenario. Witchcraft confirmed, just in time for halloween. ?

So there's everyone's unexpected sneak peek at what the SPK (which will be further optimized) will be capable of...

Last edited:

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
I just want to chime in as well. Although the cool design is what initially drew me to this project, what kept me around was much you seem to value community feedback. It can be so easy to get caught up in doing things your way and taking any sort of criticism personally. Your openness to the community and willingness to improved has earned you a customer.

Looking forward to the KS!

mikro_do

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2020
Thank you! :D

And it still looks amazing on the second and third look ;)

But I have a question. ASAIK you won't offer a window kit for launch, which is totally fine. But I definitely want do have a window, at least on the GPU size.
Is it possible to show the mounting of the side panel? Is it fixed with screws or do you just slide it in from the top?

Maybe I can make my own glass/acryl panel for the case, this would be important to know before I join on KS.

Thank you!

mikro_do

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2020
Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit my post (or am I blind?).
I meant AFAIK instead of ASAIK and GPU side instead of size :) (it's too early)

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
But I have a question. ASAIK you won't offer a window kit for launch, which is totally fine. But I definitely want do have a window, at least on the GPU size.
Is it possible to show the mounting of the side panel? Is it fixed with screws or do you just slide it in from the top?
I'm thinking about doing the same, even though my approach would be to just use a solid side panel (reuse the original mounting) and cut that. I don't need to see the radiator/fans and with this way I would be able to keep the original case finish on the panel.
If I had the chance to choose the sidepanels I wanted, I would take the solid side panels + the vented side panels + 1x extra solid gpu panel to try modding ?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
And it still looks amazing on the second and third look ;)

Maybe I can make my own glass/acryl panel for the case, this would be important to know before I join on KS.

Thank you!

It slides in from the top, and is captive on the sides. Because of the tight tolerances, I'm not sure you'll be able to easily cut a piece of acrylic to the needed dimensions, or if the edges will withstand the wear.

At some point in the future I'm going to work on well-designed transparent panels, but it's going to take some time to do it well, and get a design I really like. Initially, the plan was to cast a piece of acrylic in the exact shape, because while casting is very resource intensive, and requires multiple investments (okay, I'm sorry I had to throw that pun in), it's also one of the best ways to produce a strong and uniform acrylic panel.

The other way to go about this is machined acrylic, tempered glass, or polycarbonate cut into an aluminum panel, so it's well-reinforced on all sides. This is still being explored, so It's hard to set a timeframe.

As is typical of a design, lots of variations need to be tried before I settle on a design that looks and feels good, and is manufacturable at scale while maintaining fantastic quality. And I am entirely against rushing these types of things. You can expect explorations to take place with multiple iterations.

Last edited: