Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I keep visiting this thread every day. I am obsessed with this case.

Seconded. I'm becoming obsessed. What cases would we say are competing with it? It's certainly one of the most expensive cases but the potential for it to be silent/passive is really winning me over.

Additionally, does anyone know how much it will cost to get it to the UK? I've made an estimate based on international shipping:

Assuming cost: $320 USD
Shipping : $60 USD (from when I asked mike at Velkase how much it would be to ship to the UK
Duty: 3.7% ~$12 USD
VAT: 20% - $64 USD
Total USD - ~ $455

Conversion USD to GBP: 0.778
Total GBP (£): ~£355

The only case I can see in the USA that might compare is the Sliger SM570 but it doesn't fit dual rads so it's not fair. Sliger's only $40 cheaper and it's fairly well established too. In one way, you could say it has no competition because no one else offers the dual rad / passive cooling. What do we think?

Cheers

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
For my use case nothing really competes with it. I've been lookin for a SFF case that supports dual 240mm rads without compromise. There is not another case in that market that really does that without cutting a lot of corners. The NCASE for example, you have to use really slim rads with super slim fans on the bottom, while this case supports dual 280mm effortlessly.

There is the 011 mini but that really is not an SFF case.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I want Optimum Tech to do a video on the case
Preferably after I've already ordered mine b/c his hype will make it sold out for the next 6 months.

This is the first sffpc I can think of truly designed for watercooling. The NCase/NR200 design has too many frustrating compromises to the point where I shifted my main computer back to mid tower. The amount of people who keep asking about whether the NR200P can do a bottom and top rad, for example, shows the demand is there. The Winter One design concept is long overdue.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Yup, me2... I want that Xmas present! CMon KS! I didn't know it took so long to get approved :p
Can't you call them or use the support to speed up things @WinterCharm ? :D

I have reached out to them. It's literally going to be any moment, now. I'm getting impatient, too, lol. I appreciate how kind and supportive everyone has been here. ?

Any idea on when Linus might drop the video on winter one @WinterCharm ?

I've been in touch with them, just heard back from one of their writers the other day, but I can't say more about their timeline, except to say that it should happen around / a bit after the KS going live, but before it ends.

Seconded. I'm becoming obsessed. What cases would we say are competing with it? It's certainly one of the most expensive cases but the potential for it to be silent/passive is really winning me over.

It's a bit conceited for me as the creator to say this, but I feel that Winter One really does stand on its own. Machined cases of this size are simply not done due to the costs involved, which is why the price feels high initially.

If I had to describe it entirely using SFF analogies, I paid the same attention to airflow that the FormD T1 paid to space optimization, with it probably being the only other case that's fully CNC machined, with basically no laser-cut parts. At the same time, I tried to maintain an NCase M1 level of "easy to build in".

I remember the Beta Tester reactions to unpacking some of the machined panels. They included "why aren't all case meshes like this?" and "The feet are so nice you could legitimately sell these as standalone feet for $35". Any parts the Beta Testers were not satisfied with have been re-designed and re-worked for the v11 production version.

This is one of those instances where you'll really have to pick up these parts and feel them for yourself. But it's probably the largest entirely CNC machined case in the SFF world, at 15.6L

Additionally, does anyone know how much it will cost to get it to the UK? I've made an estimate based on international shipping:

Assuming cost: $320 USD
Shipping : $60 USD (from when I asked mike at Velkase how much it would be to ship to the UK
Duty: 3.7% ~$12 USD
VAT: 20% - $64 USD
Total USD - ~ $455

Conversion USD to GBP: 0.778
Total GBP (£): ~£355

The only case I can see in the USA that might compare is the Sliger SM570 but it doesn't fit dual rads so it's not fair. Sliger's only $40 cheaper and it's fairly well established too. In one way, you could say it has no competition because no one else offers the dual rad / passive cooling. What do we think?

Cheers

I think, you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that UK / Ireland / EU shipping is about $20 lower than what you guessed. This is where my previous experience in product development, operations, supply chain, and more comes into play...

For my use case nothing really competes with it. I've been lookin for a SFF case that supports dual 240mm rads without compromise. There is not another case in that market that really does that without cutting a lot of corners. The NCASE for example, you have to use really slim rads with super slim fans on the bottom, while this case supports dual 280mm effortlessly.

There is the 011 mini but that really is not an SFF case.

That's really kind praise. I was going to support only slim radiators in Winter One, but after how much trouble Beta testers had finding slim radiators in stock, I realized that there's no point... it's great in theory, but if no one can actually buy them, it only leads to disappointment. Since 30mm radiators are commonly available, it made sense to support them.

I want Optimum Tech to do a video on the case

Me, too! I've been nudging him a few times on Twitter / Instagram to take a look. I feel like he will if enough people ask him to, but right now he might just be waiting to buy and review a production unit.

Preferably after I've already ordered mine b/c his hype will make it sold out for the next 6 months.

This is the first sffpc I can think of truly designed for watercooling. The NCase/NR200 design has too many frustrating compromises to the point where I shifted my main computer back to mid tower. The amount of people who keep asking about whether the NR200P can do a bottom and top rad, for example, shows the demand is there. The Winter One design concept is long overdue.

Hahahaha, I'm happy to report that I actually have enough production capacity to handle 1200 orders outright for the KS, with the ability to increase that further, if the KS explodes (to well over 3000). It helps that I already did all the contracting and reserving of production capacity. Without that, this would quickly turn into a production nightmare.

Although, if it runs into the 3000 + units we'll be stick firmly in production hell for a little while ?

Last edited:

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
This is more of a question for the future, so feel free to ignore it if you do not feel like answering it, but what do you think of the NCASE model of continually updating the case year after year instead of doing entirely new versions?

Personally I think it is a neat idea. But looking at the spec sheet and combability list, I cannot imagine what else could be supported in the future besides maybe DTX if that ever becomes popular enough.

I would personally love a side or front panel style reservoir similar to the o11 or the singularity spectre.

Reactions: WinterCharm

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
With the KS happening any time now I'm wondering if anybody has thought of doing something similar to what I am thinking. A 280mm Radiator up in the top and a 140mm radiator in the bottom. Underneath the GPU on the front side of the case, you place an EKWB FLT 120 DDC pump combo reservoir. I think a 280mm + 140mm radiator would be sufficient to cool almost anything and it gives a cleaner look and easier time for hardline tubing with a pump/res in that location. Thoughts?

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
With the KS happening any time now I'm wondering if anybody has thought of doing something similar to what I am thinking. A 280mm Radiator up in the top and a 140mm radiator in the bottom. Underneath the GPU on the front side of the case, you place an EKWB FLT 120 DDC pump combo reservoir. I think a 280mm + 140mm radiator would be sufficient to cool almost anything and it gives a cleaner look and easier time for hardline tubing with a pump/res in that location. Thoughts?
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Though Why not make use of the bracket and instead use EK's 120m res combo? That way you can fit another 280mm on the bottom. This is what I am planning on doing.

With more radiator space, you can run your fans at a lower rpm, giving you a quieter system.

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Though Why not make use of the bracket and instead use EK's 120m res combo? That way you can fit another 280mm on the bottom. This is what I am planning on doing.

With more radiator space, you can run your fans at a lower rpm, giving you a quieter system.

I thought about doing 2 280mm radiators but then I'm not sure if it can fit a normal EKWB 120m pump res combo. My gpu is 265.63mm in length and the EKWB 120 TBE has dimensions of 90 x 62 x 38 mm. That would mean its a total length of 327.63 which exceeds the 312-GPU Length? Unless there is another pumpres combo I am missing, thought it was too tight of a squeeze.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I thought about doing 2 280mm radiators but then I'm not sure if it can fit a normal EKWB 120m pump res combo. My gpu is 265.63mm in length and the EKWB 120 TBE has dimensions of 90 x 62 x 38 mm. That would mean its a total length of 327.63 which exceeds the 312-GPU Length? Unless there is another pumpres combo I am missing, thought it was too tight of a squeeze.

If you’re not wedded to the idea of an integrated reservoir, a DDC or MCP50X tucks nicely under the GPU which is where I located the pump in my beta unit. I'm evaluating using a Swiftech Micro-Res to feed and fill the loop but don't have one in-hand to confirm that it will work--fingers crossed it could be a nice little option.

I had contemplated the 280+140 idea as well in order to use a D5 pump with a long 2080ti, but the very slight noise level improvements over my MCP50X likely wouldn’t offset the higher fan speeds from less radiator area.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
This is more of a question for the future, so feel free to ignore it if you do not feel like answering it, but what do you think of the NCASE model of continually updating the case year after year instead of doing entirely new versions?

Personally I think it is a neat idea. But looking at the spec sheet and combability list, I cannot imagine what else could be supported in the future besides maybe DTX if that ever becomes popular enough.

I would personally love a side or front panel style reservoir similar to the o11 or the singularity spectre.

While I won't comment directly on future plans / products, I can say this: with the SPK being the next thing, and being specifically developed for Winter One... That's probably the best public indication I can point to for supporting the case long-term. :)

That's a really good thought you had -- This is actually officially supported!!! The mounting screws for the Pump Bracket shown in the screenshot some posts ago are the *upper* mounting screws. There is a set of lower mounting screws that are also used for the hard drive Cage, which relies on the 240/120 or 280/140 configuration as well. The Pump Bracket can be easily lowered to the lower set of screws, if you sacrifice radiator space for a pump / res instead.

Here's what the drive cage looks like, to give you a really good sense of just how much pump / res space there is in this configuration:
You can get a good sense of where the mounting points are. It's 2 separate pieces for flat-packing reasons, and of course, like everything else, aero optimized so if you have platter hard drives in there, they receive adequate cooling from the rest of the airflow in the case, and when you have SSD's it just opens up airflow in a way that they won't impede bottom >> top airflow with solid panels by blocking off 1/6 of the intake area with a solid object in the airflow path :)

There's so much space you could probably even use a 120mm fan >> Pump Bracket adapter and add a small pump / res in addition to 4 x 2.5" drives.

Some pump / res combos are going to be tough to put in there unless you find a shorter GPU, so presumably, one or do what Qzrx did and use an MCP50X or MCP35X. But it's definitely possible.

----------

Also, updated Winter One website will be live in 2-3 more hours. Sorry for the wait :)

I'm expecting to hear back from KS on Monday.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Can confirm the links posted are correct...

I have a question: why didn't you just use a M1 layout case and then just add a bottom hat?

Because there's a giant GPU blocking off airflow that would be perpendicular to the Bottom >> Top Pathway. Winter One was designed with Thousands of Hours of CFD, to carefully craft the airflow inside and outside the case, to maximize cooling and silence. The long and short of it is while the M1 layout is really nice, and the case is absolutely incredible, and I have nothing but respect for its creator, Winter One stands in a class of its own when it comes to airflow...

Wait... There's a Winter One website?
Care to put a link once it's ready?

Others have already shared it >> http://www.winterdesign.co is the correct link. (please wait a bit longer for the site to be updated!)

What's the password to the website?

The password is there temporarily, to keep people out while changes are made. :3 I'll remove it once the changes are completed.

---------

Edit: turned in last night as it was late. Expect new website at 6:30 PM GMT, Sunday October 18.

Edit: Website 2.0 is live!

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Here's what the drive cage looks like, to give you a really good sense of just how much pump / res space there is in this configuration:
You can get a good sense of where the mounting points are. It's 2 separate pieces for flat-packing reasons, and of course, like everything else, aero optimized so if you have platter hard drives in there, they receive adequate cooling from the rest of the airflow in the case, and when you have SSD's it just opens up airflow in a way that they won't impede bottom >> top airflow with solid panels by blocking off 1/6 of the intake area with a solid object in the airflow path :)

This bring up a question ...will there still be space for SSD cage when using the SPK?