Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Waiting for some parts, still, but I got a tad impatient... So I started putting one together :D looking good so far!

Building in Winter One -- the rear panel acts as a base and you have all the room you need to put the Motherboard / CPU / GPU in place.

Once the core components are I'm place, you add the fans / radiators / top & bottom panels to the case.

Then, you attach the power supply to the front panel, and place it on top. Then screw everything in place... Now you have

with the main structure built... we can check out the fit and finish...

And now we can upright the case...

And now we have the assembled main body of the case.

Still missing a few parts (power cord, washers to attach the feet to the case) :) but we're getting there.

And yup, there's a bit of color mismatch on these two panels.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Looking awesome! Can't wait to see first thermal tests coming in with air cooling and the closed side panels!

My bet: two exhaust fans at top and closed side panels will work fine.

With feet on the case, two intake / two exhaust fans and closed side panels, the cooling performance should be quite impressive.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@WinterCharm

You state that mDTX is supported. The only mDTX board I know of (and happen to have one of) is the ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact. So does this mean the C8I is supported, and is there proper clearance for the SO-DIMM.2 daughtercard?

And will the SPK option work with the C8I (and that damned tall daughtercard)?

I would really be interested in this chassis, with the SPK option, for my 3900X / RDNA2 (any time now, AMD!) build. With the SPK it would be kinda like a smaller Mac Pro (just different)...!

Since you are working with a particular heat sink manufacturer, maybe when the SPK is ready to ship, it might include four NF-A14x25 PWM chromax black fans with it...?!? ;^p

Sorry if I missed any details in the thread; is the PCIe riser cable included? Might it be one of the newer models that is actually cables rather than ribbon? Will it be PCIe Gen4 x16 compatible?

Thanks!

Reactions: WinterCharm

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
@WinterCharm Really neat and nice design.

Why did you decide not to go with 25mm fans with average radiators? As you said in your studies "Radiators are only as effective as the amount of air you can push through them to pull heat from the coolant "; so much work was put with airflow in mind, does the standard 25 mm fan not offer much airflow improvement vs the slim version? My guess is the actually should offer tons of improvement but maybe you found something different.

All exhaust mode seems to be the optimal setup for radiators, I wonder if you could analyze results with dust filters on the ventilated side panels where the air is coming into the case and how this affects airflow? I imagine some people will like to add dust filters to avoid too much dust but is this something you would advice?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
You state that mDTX is supported. The only mDTX board I know of (and happen to have one of) is the ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact. So does this mean the C8I is supported, and is there proper clearance for the SO-DIMM.2 daughtercard?

And will the SPK option work with the C8I (and that damned tall daughtercard)?

I made a mistake! We talked about this a bit on Discord, since you reached out to me there. I thought the daugter card was 70mm, and it turns out the real number is 83mm, which means there isn't enough clearance in the case for the M.2 Daughtercard, and that spec got carried through the list when I copy/pasted it before doing updates. I'm going to de-list miniDTX support, as it's simply a non-option for the reasons above. :(

There's also no way the SPK would work with that daughter card :(

I would really be interested in this chassis, with the SPK option, for my 3900X / RDNA2 (any time now, AMD!) build. With the SPK it would be kinda like a smaller Mac Pro (just different)...!

The Mac Pro was one of the biggest inspirations for this design. All the reviews, and then seeing it in person and realizing just how quiet and *good* air-cooling can be, if you design a case around airflow + properly designed heatsinks, even under full load, those fans basically don't exceed 750rpm. :D

Since you are working with a particular heat sink manufacturer, maybe when the SPK is ready to ship, it might include four NF-A14x25 PWM chromax black fans with it...?!? ;^p

I cannot comment on that, except to say that I have heard the feedback, and appreciate it :)

Sorry if I missed any details in the thread; is the PCIe riser cable included? Might it be one of the newer models that is actually cables rather than ribbon? Will it be PCIe Gen4 x16 compatible? Thanks!

The case does come with a riser cable. Right now, we're using PCIE 3.0 cables, ribbon type, from ADT (very similar to the Riser that comes with the FormD T1, because it ensures the cable will not droop into the *very* close-by fans. ADT's 4.0 cables are not out yet, but will be offered as an upgrade option if they come out while the KS is ongoing. However, I don't have a timeline for that, but I do have CAD files, and they should be a drop-in / swap in upgrade.

As for the "wired" PCIE riser cables, I'm not a huge fan. They are being made to circumvent the 3M patent on twin axial cables, but separate wires make cable management harder, and while they may let a bit more air through, they also appear to be quite stiff, and noticeably heat up during use (are quite warm to the touch). So I'm a bit iffy on them... I'd rather go with a trusted Riser from ADT. When 4.0 risers hit the market, from ADT, M3, and others, we'll re-evaluate

Really neat and nice design.

Thank you, it means a lot :)

Why did you decide not to go with 25mm fans with average radiators? As you said in your studies "Radiators are only as effective as the amount of air you can push through them to pull heat from the coolant "; so much work was put with airflow in mind, does the standard 25 mm fan not offer much airflow improvement vs the slim version? My guess is the actually should offer tons of improvement but maybe you found something different.

This is an interesting question. So, basically there are two approaches to "slim" radiator designs -- high and low fin density. XSPC's TX240, for example, has a 22FPI fin density. This is quite "up there" in terms of a slim rad, so you want 25mm fans to push air through it. On the other hand fins the the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS240 have a fin density of *only* 16fpi, but are considered "slim" radiators at 30mm, and designed to be either used with low RPM 25mm fans, or moderate rpm (~1300) slim (15mm) fans. The low fin density means it's still usable, even with a slimmer fan. Those are really the two types of radiators I was targeting when I considered the Winter One.

However, with the recent issues of XSPC TX240 availability being basically nonexistent, and the new rumors and leaks regarding the size of the RTX 3090, I'm seriously re-evaluating this. Currently, Winter One can accommodate 305mm GPUs. But if I need to bump that up to 310mm or 312mm to accommodate the 3090, there may be room to also add a tiny bit of height in order to support 30mm radiators + 25mm fans.

I cannot promise this, but I will definitely *closely* look into this. I want Winter One to have 3090 support. If the 3090 runs at hot as it us rumored to run, then the airflow-optimized, cooling-focused Winter One will probably be the best suited SFF case for properly cooling this monster of a card.

All exhaust mode seems to be the optimal setup for radiators, I wonder if you could analyze results with dust filters on the ventilated side panels where the air is coming into the case and how this affects airflow? I imagine some people will like to add dust filters to avoid too much dust but is this something you would advice?

All exhaust is the best setup for dual-rad watercooling in this case.. Dust filters are always going to be flow-restrictive, unfortunately, but getting some good ones from Demciflex custom sized for the side panel should do the trick if you want them :). I would install them on the inside of panel using the magnetic strips. You could stick them in place, and then the filter would snap in magnetically. The panels are aluminum, so they won't stick "normally".

For the top and bottom panels, you can actually clamp filters in between the fan plate and end plate (this Is supported) and that just requires any filter mesh cut to size. But I'm leaving the filtering up to individuals who want them.

Also, filters are NOT recommended for the SPK... passive cooling will get choked if you add to much flow restriction, as the natural convection has very low velocity, and the pressure gradient is based on the ∆ Density. It is very small and just doesn't have the pressure gradient to overcome filters (or even small holes).

---------

Also, here's a really good look at the benefits of a Frameless design -- So much room for activities ?. That lack of an internal frame maximizes the use of the inside volume, and gives you way more room to route tubing, add radiators, tall GPUs, and more. A quick cable management note: the PSU fan should face the camera, btw. You tuck the cables you're notusing *behind* the PSU, against the side panel, and you run those cables where they need to go.

Last edited:

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
This is an interesting question. So, basically there are two approaches to "slim" radiator designs -- high and low fin density. XSPC's TX240, for example, has a 22FPI fin density. This is quite "up there" in terms of a slim rad, so you want 25mm fans to push air through it. On the other hand fins the the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS240 have a fin density of *only* 16fpi, but are considered "slim" radiators at 30mm, and designed to be either used with low RPM 25mm fans, or moderate rpm (~1300) slim (15mm) fans. The low fin density means it's still usable, even with a slimmer fan. Those are really the two types of radiators I was targeting when I considered the Winter One.

However, with the recent issues of XSPC TX240 availability being basically nonexistent, and the new rumors and leaks regarding the size of the RTX 3090, I'm seriously re-evaluating this. Currently, Winter One can accommodate 305mm GPUs. But if I need to bump that up to 310mm or 312mm to accommodate the 3090, there may be room to also add a tiny bit of height in order to support 30mm radiators + 25mm fans.

I cannot promise this, but I will definitely *closely* look into this. I want Winter One to have 3090 support. If the 3090 runs at hot as it us rumored to run, then the airflow-optimized, cooling-focused Winter One will probably be the best suited SFF case for properly cooling this monster of a card.

I understand that slim fans might be okay with a low fpi rad but they are also working within a medium, and have to pull air throughout the case and through the side panels in all exhaust configuration, so I was mostly thinking on the benefits they might bring regarding overall airflow, having to overcome several more barriers besides the fins of the rad! I just think this is a very important aspect. I hope you at least consider in supporting 30 mm rad + 25 mm fans at the top? It would be really sad to miss on (the forever incoming) 140mm sterrox fans. If volume is too much of a concern you could leave the bottom as it is. Anyways just something I had on my mind.

All exhaust is the best setup for dual-rad watercooling in this case.. Dust filters are always going to be flow-restrictive, unfortunately, but getting some good ones from Demciflex custom sized for the side panel should do the trick if you want them :). I would install them on the inside of panel using the magnetic strips. You could stick them in place, and then the filter would snap in magnetically. The panels are aluminum, so they won't stick "normally".

For the top and bottom panels, you can actually clamp filters in between the fan plate and end plate (this Is supported) and that just requires any filter mesh cut to size. But I'm leaving the filtering up to individuals who want them.

Thanks, yes I was thinking about demciflex hah. Not really worried about dust filters for exhaust panels tho

Also, here's a really good look at the benefits of a Frameless design -- So much room for activities ?. That lack of an internal frame maximizes the use of the inside volume, and gives you way more room to route tubing, add radiators, tall GPUs, and more. A quick cable management note: the PSU fan should face the camera, btw. You tuck the cables you're not using *behind* the PSU, against the side panel, and you run those cables where they need to go.

I have to say this is a truly minimalist approach to SFF cases that I have never seen before! looks like top notch quality but mostly the design is so clean and minimalist.

I am a bit worried about the mounting system of motherboard brackets, are they strong? I know your design does not contemplate a cooler like NH-D15 but would those brackets be able to hold a board with a cooler that big? Just out of curiosity

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Quick question, how do the side panels mount? I dont see any screw locations?

No screws. They slide in. Look at the bottom corner of the rear panel in the picture. You can see the retention mechanism. Then, then end plates clamp them into place from the top and bottom.

I understand that slim fans might be okay with a low fpi rad but they are also working within a medium, and have to pull air throughout the case and through the side panels in all exhaust configuration, so I was mostly thinking on the benefits they might bring regarding overall airflow, having to overcome several more barriers besides the fins of the rad! I just think this is a very important aspect. I hope you at least consider in supporting 30 mm rad + 25 mm fans at the top? It would be really sad to miss on (the forever incoming) 140mm sterrox fans. If volume is too much of a concern you could leave the bottom as it is. Anyways just something I had on my mind.

I understand what you're saying. I'll be revisiting the possibility of supporting 30mm radiators and the RTX 3090 over the next week, but in all my CFD testing so far, the Slim fans had no issue with 16fpi rads within the case. The hole design is low-flow-restriction for exactly this reason.

Thanks, yes I was thinking about demciflex hah. Not really worried about dust filters for exhaust panels tho

Filters for the "end" panels are useful in push/pull setup (can be done with Liquid cooling, as well). But yeah, there's definitely a way to get filters onto those side panels if you want :D should make life a lot easier when it comes to managing dust. :)

I have to say this is a truly minimalist approach to SFF cases that I have never seen before! looks like top notch quality but mostly the design is so clean and minimalist.

Thank you. It took a lot of work to get there. Removing interior surfaces was all about killing off any additional drag and actually giving the person building in the case a use for all that space.

I am a bit worried about the mounting system of motherboard brackets, are they strong? I know your design does not contemplate a cooler like NH-D15 but would those brackets be able to hold a board with a cooler that big? Just out of curiosity

The top and bottom brackets are nearly 7mm thick, and are sunk into the rear panel that's also 7mm thick. (Hard to see in the image because tolerances are quite tight on this). These are both machined from billets and bars of Temper-hardened Aluminum 6061. Extremely sturdy and secure. You could easily hang a 50kg weight from them and they would be totally fine. I've talked about all the CFD already, but I also used extensive FEA to design this case, especially because the SPK is likely going to approach the weight of an NH-D15, and there's supposed to be *two* of them (one for CPU and one for GPU). So getting the mechanical structure figured out was extremely important to support such massive heatsinks. And then I overbuilt the living daylights out of it to account for any weirdness. ? Rest assured you're likely to crack your motherboard in half before you're going to bend them.

Last edited:

Thorup

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 19, 2020
Looks great! i have been looking for a case to do a dual radiator setup like this!
Have you considered using smaller holes for the top and bottom? i noticed you said the mac was an inspiration, but personally i would much prefer holes like on the Ncase M1 or maybe a vent like the T1.
Keep up the good work! im really looking forward to seeing this realized.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Looks great! i have been looking for a case to do a dual radiator setup like this!
Have you considered using smaller holes for the top and bottom? i noticed you said the mac was an inspiration, but personally i would much prefer holes like on the Ncase M1 or maybe a vent like the T1.

Frankly, the hole size and pattern of the ncase, ghost, and T1 are far inferior for air flow.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

No. That would utterly destroy cooling performance, which is the point of getting this case over some of the other options.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I need some handholding. Where does the pump go when using a full length gpu and two 240s?

There will be a pump bracket that attaches to the front panel, with anchor points for your pump. It floats between the lower fan/radiator, and the bottom of the long edge of the GPU, giving you a nice rectangular slice for having a small pump in the case. Usually, a DDC or DC-LT pump will fit.

You can also use 2DC-LT pumps In parallel if you have a very restrictive loop.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Also, here's something interesting:

Winter One currently has fan + radiator clearance of 52.5 mm.

Alphacool just released their ST25 line of radiators, which are 25.5 mm :) There will be **perfect** for pairing with the NF A12x25, as a total package height of 50.5 mm will leave you with 2mm of clearance. Currently, this appears to be the best Fan / Radiator combination in Winter One that's easily available, especially with the incredibly scant availability of the XPSC TX240. I do expect the XSPC TX240 to outperform it by roughly 15±2%, due to its 22fpi fin density... but getting your hands on one is a different matter. Another thing, the HardwareLabs Nemesis GTS240 with its 16fpi fins, paired with slim fans will probably be better than either of these, even when paired with 15mm slim fans. It'll be a tad louder (running at around 1300 rpm) but should outperform the TX240 by ~10%.

HOWEVER, I cannot currently find any benchmark data on the ST25's, so if anyone has some info, please let me know, as It would help clarify what this rad is actually capable of, especially at lower fan RPMs.

Now, those of you familiar with water-cooling are probably going to say, wait a second, we're so close to 55 mm, which is what you'd need to support 30mm radiators and 25mm fans. and you're right. This is why we're re-evaluating a *slight* size increase to support the 3090 and 30mm+25mm fan/rad combos. Literally just waiting for official dimensional data on that, before we decide to go forward with a minor size tweak.

If the 3090 wasn't going to be so big, and the TX240 was more widely available this would likely have not happened. However, in light of the TX240 being out of stock almost everywhere for a majority of the last 6 months, we're seriously considering this change. At the end of the day, thinner radiators are more space efficient. IMO, a thin rad with dense fins is really the ideal way to liquid cool an SFFPC, but that doesn't matter if no one can actually buy them ?

Right now, Winter One's design has a balanced height and length (31.5mm x 31.5mm x 15.5mm). If we increase the length to, say, 32mm to accommodate the 3090, we will increase the height to match... BUT the goal is to not cross the 16L mark (with protrusions) and 15L without protrusions. Tl;Dr If we can accommodate 30mm rads + 25mm fans AND a 3090 in this case, within those volume constraints, then we will do it.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
First Build Complete.

Here are some teaser images. Going to edit all the footage tomorrow :D

The early part of the case building. This is a pretty low-spec build, and air-cooled, simply as a demonstrator for *how* to build in Winter One. It's my old desktop, with just a 4790k and RX 570. :)

With the actual insides of the build complete all that remained was sliding a side panel on, and then standing the case up. :)

The fan / radiator plate is easy to add / remove. It also doesn't interfere with the side panels sliding into place.

With everything wired up, you can now close the case by sliding in that second side panel.

Here is a closer look at the retention mechanism for the side panel and how it interacts with the fan/radiator plate, and the side panels.

And finally, here's a zoomed out look at everything except the end plate. :D

That's all for now :) Hopefully this is an interesting teaser for what's to come...