Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
I can offer use google for this information. 280 a lot better then 240. More cool area.
More efficiency -> lower temps -> lower fan speed -> less noise.

As Dawelio said temp differences are not so stark as you might think, you are not going from 70° with dual 240 to 50° with dual 280.

Now regarding noise levels there are a lot of variables at play, I propose you this one, which is tied to what I said before about aiming for the lowest temps possible not having much sense:

allow for slightly higher temps -> lower fan speed -> less noise

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
It's all about giving people more headroom. Some people will use that headroom to drop temps, or fan RPMs, and others will use that headroom to overclock, and get an extra couple % in performance.

Having the choice to do either one is not a bad thing. :)

@Dawelio is right that in practical terms it doesn't mean too much, as dropping temps from 70-50º isn't a meaningful difference, except in edge cases, if you are running at stock clocks. But that extra headroom (280's are a significant amount of area over 240's) can be used for many things --- water blocked 3090 + 16 Core Ryzen with a nice OC on both, for example, or the same, but with fan RPM's turned down to the 750 range, and lower pump speeds for an even quieter system.

In either case, with the sharp rise in TDP we've seen with the latest generation of GPU's, I think the headroom will be welcome by many who like to not ride the thermal edge of their chips, or those who enjoy overclocking, and want to do a shunt-mod on their 3080 or 3090.

As for what you choose to do with that space, that's entirely up to you as the person choosing to build a system in this thing.

Ricky

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 23, 2016
It's all about giving people more headroom. Some people will use that headroom to drop temps, or fan RPMs, and others will use that headroom to overclock, and get an extra couple % in performance.

Having the choice to do either one is not a bad thing. :)

@Dawelio is right that in practical terms it doesn't mean too much, as dropping temps from 70-50º isn't a meaningful difference, except in edge cases, if you are running at stock clocks. But that extra headroom (280's are a significant amount of area over 240's) can be used for many things --- water blocked 3090 + 16 Core Ryzen with a nice OC on both, for example, or the same, but with fan RPM's turned down to the 750 range, and lower pump speeds for an even quieter system.

In either case, with the sharp rise in TDP we've seen with the latest generation of GPU's, I think the headroom will be welcome by many who like to not ride the thermal edge of their chips, or those who enjoy overclocking, and want to do a shunt-mod on their 3080 or 3090.

As for what you choose to do with that space, that's entirely up to you as the person choosing to build a system in this thing.
Would be an excellent opportunity to update compatibility details, if time is found.

EDIT: how are NVME temps, particularly on the backside of the board? I expect a lot of people might make use of them with next-gen games.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Would be an excellent opportunity to update compatibility details, if time is found.

EDIT: how are NVME temps, particularly on the backside of the board? I expect a lot of people might make use of them with next-gen games.

I'll have more specifics as soon as the CAD for the recently discussed design tweaks is done (that's been most of what I've been doing this weekend), and i'll have that data soon, as I have some data from the beta program I still need to analyze :)

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
What ever happened with bifurcation riser support? I know it was mentioned quite a while back, but I don't recall it ever coming to any sort of conclusion. This would be an exceptional feature to have for productivity-focused builds.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What ever happened with bifurcation riser support? I know it was mentioned quite a while back, but I don't recall it ever coming to any sort of conclusion. This would be an exceptional feature to have for productivity-focused builds.

I'll consider supporting it in the future, but it won't be something we do at launch. The added complexity and difficulty sourcing parts, and airflow optimizing it, is the main reason I decided "not this year"

Also, bit of a side note, Solid Side Panels will stay... They're excellent for a quieter system.

Last edited:

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
I'll consider supporting it in the future, but it won't be something we do at launch. The added complexity and difficulty sourcing parts, and airflow optimizing it, is the main reason I decided "not this year"

Also, bit of a side note, Solid Side Panels will stay... They're excellent for a quieter system.

Any updates on the new dimensions and beta testing update? Can't wait for the kickstarter to launch! :D

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
KS is going live next week, unless something catastrophic happens.

The big financial confirmations (related to corporate tax ID's and other mind numbing paperwork stuff) were just completed, and we're now in final review ?

Over the next few days, I'll be pushing updates to the website, and posting a LOT more information about parts compatibility, configurations, pricing, etc. Linus of Tech Tips fame also has a prototype and they're working on a video ?

I'm still trying to get a hold of Ali from Optimum Tech, so if anyone knows him please poke him and ask him to get in touch with me.

-------------

Not quuuittteeee ready to post formal thermal testing results, but here's a really fun sneak peek:

@Qzrx 's Custom Loop Beta Build is *utterly silent* with Bottom >> Top Airflow.

Temps when running an OCCT GPU and CPU power stress test:
  • 42C water
  • 75C 3900X
  • 52C 2080ti

NF A12x25's are spinning at 1400rpm, and the acoustically optimized panels make it hard to even tell that the case is on. This is with a Swiftech MCP50X and dual Magicool 240 G2 Slim Radiators.

Picture of the build in question:

IIRC they've already shared this, and a few other images in the thread ^-^ Image credit goes to Qzrx, of course.

Last edited:

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020

The big financial confirmations (related to corporate tax ID's and other mind numbing paperwork stuff) were just completed, and we're now in final review ?

Over the next few days, I'll be pushing updates to the website, and posting a LOT more information about parts compatibility, configurations, pricing, etc. Linus of Tech Tips fame also has a prototype and they're working on a video ?

I'm still trying to get a hold of Ali from Optimum Tech, so if anyone knows him please poke him and ask him to get in touch with me.
??

• Love
Reactions: WinterCharm

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

OH yessss! ??

• Love
Reactions: WinterCharm

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
It's aliiiive!

The Aquaero6 wound up squeezing in nicely against the front panel

Fired it up in the middle of a heatwave in a room approaching 30ºC / 85ºF. Not bad, and hopefully I can have some days with reasonable temperatures to get some more-useful numbers for y'all.

So far I can't hear the pump or fans under general usage or while gaming, and the airflow design means there’s virtually zero noise from the fans as the airflow experiences very little turbulence--even at these speeds I would say it's quieter than my Cerberus was with a similar loop and NF-A14's at ~900RPM. I really cannot emphasize just how unbelievably quiet this thing is despite the NF-A12x25's running at the speeds they are, and this is with sub-optimal 240mm radiators. Napkin math says 280mm GTS radiators should perform ~40% better...

...testing pre-heatwave?

42ºC water
75ºC 3900X
52ºC 2080ti

This case is bonkers.

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
It's aliiiive!

The Aquaero6 wound up squeezing in nicely against the front panel

Fired it up in the middle of a heatwave in a room approaching 30ºC / 85ºF. Not bad, and hopefully I can have some days with reasonable temperatures to get some more-useful numbers for y'all.

So far I can't hear the pump or fans under general usage or while gaming, and the airflow design means there’s virtually zero noise from the fans as the airflow experiences very little turbulence--even at these speeds I would say it's quieter than my Cerberus was with a similar loop and NF-A14's at ~900RPM. I really cannot emphasize just how unbelievably quiet this thing is despite the NF-A12x25's running at the speeds they are, and this is with sub-optimal 240mm radiators. Napkin math says 280mm GTS radiators should perform ~40% better...

...testing pre-heatwave?

42ºC water
75ºC 3900X
52ºC 2080ti

This case is bonkers.

What pump have u used? Is there space to mount a standard DDC pump when using dual rads?

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
@Qzrx Did you drill the mounting holes yourself? Seeing this picture I kind of want to mount a 2,5" SSD there. Looks like it could fit.

Also my initial plans was to go with the ASUS Uefi, a temp. sensor and set the 4x fans according to water temp. Do you happen to have any experience with that?

Edit: Nevermind lol. Was checking if the Barrowch Flow sensor is somewhat ok to get (it's not btw), when I found out about the new high flow sensor next :) Totally going to try fitting it and using the quadro with it. I mean waterquality display - how cool is that ?

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

NVME Temps are a bit worse than expected due to the standoffs being a bit too short, which hurts ventilation on motherboards with a backplate (in the Beta). but this will be fixed in the production version.

What pump have u used? Is there space to mount a standard DDC pump when using dual rads?

The pump being used is a Swiftech MCP50X

@Qzrx Did you drill the mounting holes yourself? Seeing this picture I kind of want to mount a 2,5" SSD there. Looks like it could fit.

Those mounting holes are tapped and threaded, as a nod to modders. They're designed for the Drive Cage and Pump Bracket attachments which you can get with Winter One, but you can also 3D print your own bracket to get a single 2.5" SSD in there. Because they're part of the front panel, the other end is an exterior surface, so you cannot access the back of those holes to easily mount a drive. That's why some sort of bracket will be required.

I'll be making a small CAD file with the exact hole spacing, to make it easy for people to create their own STLs for that mounting point. And if you need something more robust that can hold 4 x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDDs or 4 x 4TB Ironwolf SSDs, for all your crazy storage needs, the drive cage is a nice option.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

The pump is an MCP50X, as Wintercharm pointed out. I expect a DDC pump will fit as it’s slightly shorter than an MCP50X (~45mm MCP50X, ~41mm EKWB DDC+XTOP), but I don’t have a DDC pump on-hand to actually verify this.

The Aquaero6 is just held with a friction fit there actually. It sits nicely on the radiator below and the tube simply holds it in place. I believe the plan is for the retail unit to have better support for things like pumps or Aquaero via the drive cage mounting points.

Also my initial plans was to go with the ASUS Uefi, a temp. sensor and set the 4x fans according to water temp. Do you happen to have any experience with that?

Aquasuite makes it pretty easy to do this, and with some more-advanced logic to boot if you want!