Motherboard Will there be interference ? Asus ROG Strix Z490-G

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Heya everyone,

Probably a bit random to most of you, but I was scourching the web yesterday and I came across this motherboard from ASUS, which I noticed something...

I’ve experinced this issue before on an ASUS motherboard, when the top PCIe slot is so high up, that an GPU won’t fit. Due to it’s backplate will interferre with the I/O cover shield.

Atleast on the picture it looks very tight, when comparing to something like the MSI MAG B550M MORTAR, where the slot is lower and you can clearly see there’s clearance for this.

What do you all think?:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I reckon the relative location of a PCIe slot is standard and is highly unlikely to be placed too high. Instead, the issue is that the IO shield is just too large.

For the Asus Z490-G Gaming Wifi shown, maybe it is the perspective of the pic that gives the impression that a display card will hit the IO shield? The clearance has to be very close. I suppose, unless the backplate of a display card is unusually thick, the card should clear the IO, even just barely.

The 2 cards below seem to have 'normal' thickness backplate.

An EVGA 2080 Super 8GB XC Ultra Gaming sits in the first slot here:

An Asus 2080 Super 8GB Gaming OC sits in the first slot here:

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I reckon the relative location of a PCIe slot is standard and is highly unlikely to be placed too high. Instead, the issue is that the IO shield is just too large.

For the Asus Z490-G Gaming Wifi shown, maybe it is the perspective of the pic that gives the impression that a display card will hit the IO shield? The clearance has to be very close. I suppose, unless the backplate of a display card is unusually thick, the card should clear the IO, even just barely.

The 2 cards below seem to have 'normal' thickness backplate.

An EVGA 2080 Super 8GB XC Ultra Gaming sits in the first slot here:

An Asus 2080 Super 8GB Gaming OC sits in the first slot here:

Nice one! Highly appreciated and thank you for that! :)

For some reason I didn't manage to find a picture of a build with this motherboard in it, rather interesting that you managed to find 2 as well! ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This image shows better clearance:

Though it looks like it won't accept much more than a few millimeters beyond the PCB.

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
This image shows better clearance:

Though it looks like it won't accept much more than a few millimeters beyond the PCB.

It is an better picture of it, thank you. But I agree, why would they even design it this way?...