Will RAM intersect with U9B-SE2 cooler on Asus B450-I?

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I have almost all my components ready for building, just waiting for the AM4 mounting kit from Noctua. However I've been restricting myself to getting Corsair Vengeance LPX memory because its the lowest profile. BUT is this essential?

My concern is that the cooler and cooler fan on the side of the RAM module, will intersect with the position of the RAM modules. Therefore preventing me from either using one of the fans, or having to buy lowest profile memory so that it sits underneath the fan.

Does anyone have this motherboard and cooler? Can you tell me how much clearance there is between the edge of the cooler fan and the RAM modules?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have almost all my components ready for building, just waiting for the AM4 mounting kit from Noctua. However I've been restricting myself to getting Corsair Vengeance LPX memory because its the lowest profile. BUT is this essential?

My concern is that the cooler and cooler fan on the side of the RAM module, will intersect with the position of the RAM modules. Therefore preventing me from either using one of the fans, or having to buy lowest profile memory so that it sits underneath the fan.

Does anyone have this motherboard and cooler? Can you tell me how much clearance there is between the edge of the cooler fan and the RAM modules?
I am afraid not many people would have this cooler+mobo combination as U9B-SE2 is too old to go along with a relatively new B450-I motherboard.

What I have found is an U9B-SE2 sitting on this AM4 motherboard (ie Gigabyte X570-I Aorus Pro Mini ITX). (I believe the position of AM4 socket relative to the memory slots is the same as that of an Asus B450-I.)
1. front push fan will hit the RAM module (even using Corsair Vengeance LPX low profile ones)
2. from the pics, it seems you might solve this by positioning the fan higher up. 10mm higher should be enough. But I am not sure if the fan clipping system of the U9B-SE2 allows this upward shift.
3. If the fan cannot be installed higher, the solution used by that Hennes84 guy is to orient the cooler 90-degree around (as shown in his pics), thus clearing the memory modules and the potential heatsink near the rear IO.

You can examine the pics here:-