Why has no-one made an N64 style NUC? (PCI-e slot)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It would have to be bigger than just a larger NUC: with the PSU removed from the external GPU enclosure, a PSU powerful enough to power the NUC and the highest rated GPU would need to be housed inside the 'main' chassis instead. Even a regular non-L SFX PSU would triple the volume of the NUC, possibly quadruple once you include the volume of the hardware to convert m.2 to PCIe.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The main reason is for portability. External GPU's are bulky and a pain (most externals are still bigger than a mITX system). This could make an even smaller system with a dedicated GPU of your choice. As I mentioned earlier the hotswap was just a random idea, and its been put to rest (I should edit the op). Of course, you would be getting a slightly larger nuc to keep a lower center of gravity but it would still be smaller than most options (a <1L nuc + a GPU on top).

The other reason is cost. Why would you want to buy an external GPU enclosure and get 90% of your gpu for $300-500 extra when you could just buy an i7 nuc for $600-750 that has the option to add any dedicated GPU and keep all of your performance?

I could see this being a very nice LAN or portable VR rig that could easily fit in just about any bag.

That's all fine, but the particular thought of inserting a GPU like that seems unpractical, as I've stated. Not the thought of having two separate units for GPU and main unit in general.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
That's all fine, but the particular thought of inserting a GPU like that seems unpractical, as I've stated. Not the thought of having two separate units for GPU and main unit in general.

Either im misunderstanding or something was lost in the transit... but what i was suggesting is exactly how we use GPUs now.
There would simply be a pci-e slot on top that you slot a gpu into just like you would with a motherboard. The cartridge idea was something someone else mentioned because of the N64 in the title.

And i mentioned it to my friend at Asus because i know they would be able to design a nuc with a PCIe slot daughter board that connects to a custom 5x5 (nuc motherboard) to put it on top for easier access. This idea is simply adding a PCIe x16 slot to the top of a nuc to use some of the PCIe lanes that you cant use right now due to how locked the nuc ecosystem is.

It would have to be bigger than just a larger NUC: with the PSU removed from the external GPU enclosure, a PSU powerful enough to power the NUC and the highest rated GPU would need to be housed inside the 'main' chassis instead. Even a regular non-L SFX PSU would triple the volume of the NUC, possibly quadruple once you include the volume of the hardware to convert m.2 to PCIe.

I was told that they are looking into a dual brick system for 2x250w pico psu's. The plan is to take 150w for the nuc itself and use the remaining power for the gpu. They actually liked my idea of having 2 psu modular ports on the side of the nuc to power the GPU if you decide to use something that cant take the power from the PCIe slot itself, and 350w is more than enough for current day GPUs even after an overclock. The thought is that if you are using a gtx1050 or equivalent you would only need to use 1 power supply, and 2 if you are using something more power hungry.

The prototype layout I was sent actually seems quite small. The plan is to flatten out a nuc to just a bit more then the skull canyon and to add width to accomodate the extra power supply. The proposed design is currently at around 180mm x 116mm x 36mm but will probably grow a bit. This is still quite small from what we have now. Im just hopping that it gets through the first design process and we can actually see this come to market.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That or slap an MXM slot on the back. 1080 full fat fits on that format now. Couldn't really get any smaller than that IMO.

Reactions: EdZ

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Either im misunderstanding or something was lost in the transit... but what i was suggesting is exactly how we use GPUs now.
There would simply be a pci-e slot on top that you slot a gpu into just like you would with a motherboard. The cartridge idea was something someone else mentioned because of the N64 in the title.

Ah I see, so only slot powered GPUs in the first place. That's of course a more interesting idea, but most GPUs have exposed circuitry on the back, so you'd have to shroud them somehow.

And once that's the case, having the GPU lay flat on top or below the whole thing seems more sensible.

custom 5x5 (nuc motherboard)

NUCs are not 5x5, but 4x4, this formfactor is also called UCFF (which is not to be confused with the general UCFF for "ultra compact form factor"). 5x5 is now mSTX.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Could you use a PCIe external host card with the matching cable ?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Looks like my friend wasnt able to the idea past his design leader for how i was wanting it. He brought it up at a design meeting and it was shot down but given a "good start" rating, he says he is going to try again with a different design and see what happens. I threw him the idea of having an upright style with the GPU on the front with the backplate/pcb facing the main unit (kind of stole the Nintendo Switch design a bit when I sent him a mock drawing lol)

We wont know anything until Jan 15th tho when the next meeting is scheduled.