Which way did you mount for psu?

Brock

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
About to order some cables an I need to specify which way I’m going to mount my sf600 gold. Is there a perk to running you psu facing in or out?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Lot of it depends on how you have your case set up. If you have intake fans on the side bracket most people have the PSU fan facing the side bracket for fresh, filtered air. If you are using a TG side panel face the fan the other way so you can intake air through the vents on the other side.

Brock

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Lot of it depends on how you have your case set up. If you have intake fans on the side bracket most people have the PSU fan facing the side bracket for fresh, filtered air. If you are using a TG side panel face the fan the other way so you can intake air through the vents on the other side.

Going to be running an aio so no tempered glass. So you think have fan on inside?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Going to be running an aio so no tempered glass. So you think have fan on inside?
I think I would face it away from the AIO. If you are intake it will feed hot air into the PSU and if exhaust might be fighting with the AIO fans for airflow. Maybe someone else will comment with suggestions.

When I had my Ncase it was watercooled with the radiator fans set as intake and I had the PSU facing away, worked good for me.

Maz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 17, 2018
If you decide to have the fan intake on the inside, you will probably want the right-oriented power cable as well. You can just barely get a bend on the regular cable to make it fit, but it's probably not good for the cable and would get in the way of an optical drive.

I have mine set up that way, though it's an air-cooled setup only and my GPU doesn't dump a ton of heat, so the PSU is not pulling in preheated air.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I have the fan facing inwards. Mainly because I find it easier to manage the 24pin that way. However, I also run a side radiator with the fans intaking pretty directly into the PSU.

My thoughts on it are that the PSU facing inwards will pose less resistance to the airflow than if it was blowing against the flat back on the PSU. I'm planning to swap it around soon and have the radiator fans exhausting out the side with the fan on the PSU facing outwards though, just to try different things.

Reactions: rfarmer