Which CAD software most optimal for designing cases?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Hello,

I was just wondering which software you would suggest learning if I want to stat designing cases (and even components for that matter)? I thought AutoCAD was the standard, but apparently at my University, they teach Siemens Solid Edge. Since I atm do not know anything about CAD-software, is there any real difference, or is this just like any other preference of software (e.g. Blender vs Maya vs Cinema4D)?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
at my college we went from auto cad > solid edge > solid works
solid edge and solid works are very close, but I liked SW better. in part, a tool is a tool, there are good ones and very good ones, but I think the ability to really understand and make technical drawing is what will get you going on whatever software you choose.

for me SW works wonders for matching parts and test fitting stuff but It would be basically the same with inventor, for ex.
I've never used autocad 3d so I can't really say much about it

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
Altough i mainly use solidworks to model and don’t really use any other program. I can’t recommend it, because of it’s instability and all around problems and the fact that if you were to make your case available for purchase you better not use pirated software and solidworks is not cheap (10k +1k yearly maintenance) plus the licence is personal so you can’t sell it.

That being said it’s a relatively easy program to learn and a great steppingstone to more advanced CAD programs like Siemens nx.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
agree with you both. Solid works is really not worthy for small projects. for learning tho, its quite nice
fusion is also free for small companies (<100k revenue per year) so for indie devs like us it looks like a really great choice

Reactions: 1461748123