Cooling Where to find 92mm rgb fan?

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
ive been looking and searching but no avail besides this giant tower cooler with 3 of them, currently trying to buy one. But I’m wondering why 92mm and 80mm rgb fans aren’t popular? Are they too small? There are like a million 120mm and up even rings to add to non rgb but not many if any 92mm. If I can’t find one I’ve seen a few videos of people making their own own with strips and poking holes, I don’t particularly want to do that. Another question which do you think look better, white black or clear fan blades for rgb? or noctua brown?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
If you want quiet, efficient cooling: Noctua.
If you want it in Black/White/Sometimes Purple: Noiseblocker.

Otherwise, whatever works :) RGB is a mainstream thing and smaller fans really aren't these days. They tend to be louder, though good ones aren't by much, and also don't make much sense on the typically large cases that are quite prevalent.

Reactions: Damascus

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018

Good news, finally received the fans, very quiet and move a fair amount of air. Bad news they are static rgb all 4 colors at the same time. The ring came off easily.

so there is a little silver wire attached to the led strip heading into the fan housing, will clipping it affect the fan? I want to pull the leds and put in an actually rgb strip and run it off the mobo header.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
If the led strip comes off you can pretty easily replace it, I recomend try to pull the whole thing off as opposed to a few wires

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah the plan is to pull the strip out completely and put the rgb one in, but I’m worried about cutting that wire lol

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
Okie dokie I’ll take the plunge tomorrow getting late here, will post results.

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
7.59 x 3 for fans
8.99 for the rgb strip roll 16ft
7.99 for a pack of rgb cable connectors
Yeah I agree, happy with the results.

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
noise wise they are very quiet even with all 3 running full speed, have been thinking about switching out my noctua fan that i have a cryorig c7 cu copper block but havent gotten around to it, but have upgraded the 12v rgb to 5v argb.

Update, so they after further testing, it's slightly louder then the noctua fan, and about 10 degrees worse at idle, I'll be keeping them as case fans lol

Last edited:

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
They still work well then? I had some cheap fans that I bought and I had issues with them cracking through the center of the fan casting. Nothing like that here?

mtspark

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
They work alright, ending up breaking part of the outer casing in order to fit an argb strip, so I could daisy chain them. No problem with the fan section.

Reactions: TristanDuboisOLG

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
If anyone else is wondering where to easily find a 92mm RGB fan, a (slightly wasteful) way is to buy a Coolermaster Masterair G200P CPU cooler. It's basically bit like a Noctua NH-L9A but the heatsink isn't quite as good or efficient. The Fan itself is ok, a tiny little bit louder than a Noctua, but its standard RGB not ARGB so basic effects only.

I just took the fan and mounted it onto the heatsink from my NH-L9A. No appreciable difference in temps, and looks nicer :D

Reactions: Da_Korn