Where to buy Anodized M3 countersunk screws & washers?

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
So I've seen in some builds floating about that people replace standard m3 screws with some nice anodized ones and I'm wondering where I'd be able to get some? I cant seem to find any m3 ones, really only m5/6 so I'm wondering if there are PC specific stores that would sell them?

Also what length would they need to be?

Thanks.

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
Try McMaster Carr or a local fastener store if you're in a large city (not a hardware store... you'll need more of an industrial supplier).

Anodizing is for aluminum only, which is too soft for fasteners. So the keyword you want for the finish is black oxide.

You'll want to measure your current hardware before ordering, there are a ton of different head types and lengths available.

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Try McMaster Carr or a local fastener store if you're in a large city (not a hardware store... you'll need more of an industrial supplier).

Anodizing is for aluminum only, which is too soft for fasteners. So the keyword you want for the finish is black oxide.

You'll want to measure your current hardware before ordering, there are a ton of different head types and lengths available.
Thanks for the reply, I found some on eBay although they ship from China. M3 6mm seem to be the smallest I could find which should work out fine hopefully.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Aluminium doesn’t have to be soft and you can get anodized machine screws (bolts) via motorcycle factors. They are used to keep fairings on (so strong). Lots of pretty colours. However I think you’ll struggle to find 3M size, commonly they are 5M or 6M.

You can buy them via eBay/Amazon. Also you wont find nuts so easily as the nut is usually part of the restraint for the fairing. That said I’ve used them for cases where you are making a feature of the machine screw and the bolts which are hidden can be useful for cable management. I have never actually searched out 3M so maybe find a supplier of such machine screws and just ask if they have 3M.

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Aluminium doesn’t have to be soft and you can get anodized machine screws (bolts) via motorcycle factors. They are used to keep fairings on (so strong). Lots of pretty colours. However I think you’ll struggle to find 3M size, commonly they are 5M or 6M.

You can buy them via eBay/Amazon. Also you wont find nuts so easily as the nut is usually part of the restraint for the fairing. That said I’ve used them for cases where you are making a feature of the machine screw and the bolts which are hidden can be useful for cable management. I have never actually searched out 3M so maybe find a supplier of such machine screws and just ask if they have 3M.
Yeah its hard to find M3 bolts but I managed to order some, got the washers but still waiting for the bolts. Washers seem decent.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah its hard to find M3 bolts but I managed to order some, got the washers but still waiting for the bolts. Washers seem decent.
Yes the 3m, the 6m are too big for most designs. The benefit is the colours, loads of colours available.

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Yes the 3m, the 6m are too big for most designs. The benefit is the colours, loads of colours available.
Got the bolts the other day and they look pretty awesome, I've only swapped out the Ncase name plate on the back and it looks super nice, I'll post a pic of it when I have chance.

Now I'm wondering what screws are used for my Corsair AIO as I wouldnt mind switching to bolts and washers for those but I cant seem to find what bolt I would have to buy (M4/5/6 etc)

• Love
Reactions: xSDMx

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Thought I'd post a couple pictures of them if anyone is interested in doing the same :)

Looks great. I see that you also have a side-mounted AIO radiator. Did you, by chance, also look into countersunk 6-32 screws for your radiator? I am specifically interested in finding a solution that allows the magnetic side filter to sit flush.

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Looks great. I see that you also have a side-mounted AIO radiator. Did you, by chance, also look into countersunk 6-32 screws for your radiator? I am specifically interested in finding a solution that allows the magnetic side filter to sit flush.
I tried to find some but I gave up pretty much. I think the ones I did find I'd have had to order from Germany and they were pretty costly so I never ended up ordering them.

I don't run dust filters on my M1 though but I can see what you mean about the bolts protruding. If I do end up finding some I'll let you know if the dust filter is an issue. :)

Reactions: xSDMx