Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
When it comes to technology, I have two rules:
  1. Keep it in use as long as possible
  2. See Rule #1
This started off as a Mid-2006 Apple MacBook and within five years, became much less:
  • Removed the battery
  • Removed the keyboard
  • Removed top case (kept)
  • Removed Bluetooth card
  • Removed IR board
  • Removed the SuperDrive (DVD drive)
  • Cut down the bottom case to the area of the logicboard
So what's left?
  • Logicboard
  • RAM
  • Airport card and antennas
  • Connector for the keyboard
  • SATA cable
I did that during a failed project to turn the system into a HTPC. The person whom it was meant for did not like it. I took it back, hooked up the top case, and used it as a Mac for a while. I then tried OS X Mavericks (10.9.x) on it. Did. Not Want.

So now what? I build it into something new.

Thankfully, I do not have much to start with.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, I have a 2008 version that I still use occasionally as a backup computer. I put Windows 10 on it though which wasn't a great idea since several drivers don't work, like the touchpad :p

The graphics power on these models is lacking for modern applications but they're still suitable for surfing the internet and such.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Apparently the left RAM slot is better than the right one :p

It will be interesting to see what you turn this into!
Heh. Actually, Apple had a proper build classification system. The downside? Only the 'Best' configuration came in black. :mad: I am also interested as to exactly what I turn it into next. ;)

Haha, I have a 2008 version that I still use occasionally as a backup computer. I put Windows 10 on it though which wasn't a great idea since several drivers don't work, like the touchpad :p

The graphics power on these models is lacking for modern applications but they're still suitable for surfing the internet and such.
That they are. I prefer to use Linux on mine as everything more or less works (especially the touchpad with the Synaptics driver). Only real issue (as with most 12"-13.3" laptops at the time) is the poor cooling system. Even my ThinkPad X200s from 2009 (the X200 is not exempt) has the issue. Only one fan, one heat pipe, and one array of fins with little ventilation. The Sony VAIO Z (2011) and now the VAIO Z (and the Z Canvas as well) have cooling systems belieing their size.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Lego and a torn down MacBook? Well if that's not interesting I don't know what is.
It hurts to see the blue 2x4 in the front being broken on the side though. :(
It hurts me too as that was not the only broken piece I found. (Note to self: Remind other kids not to 'modify' the pieces when they are building something)

Those mains plugs looked pissed off
I did not plug anything into them for over a year and I just bought an electronic device near them without plugging it in. They probably do have a right to pissed at me. :p

Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have a 2008 Macbook and that version does not officially support OS X Mavericks. So yeah you'd have to expect a hard time to get it to run well on 2006 Mac hardware :eek: I'm just content with Snow Leopard on mine.

That piece of hardware you got would look great in a mounted AIO PC enclosure to the back of the monitor. But I'm guessing your LEGO box will be a regular desktop case?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I have a 2008 Macbook and that version does not officially support OS X Mavericks. So yeah you'd have to expect a hard time to get it to run well on 2006 Mac hardware :eek: I'm just content with Snow Leopard on mine.

That piece of hardware you got would look great in a mounted AIO PC enclosure to the back of the monitor. But I'm guessing your LEGO box will be a regular desktop case?
As much as I would like to do an AIO enclosure, I will just make it a regular desktop or open frame.

I wanted to do a vertical case but that proved to be difficult during my prototyping so the case will be horizontal.

So far, everything fits.

There is even space under the board for my hard drives!

And now the board is locked in.

Last update until later this week.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
+1 for using Technic pieces. I've seen several LEGO cases before, but very few use these pieces to their advantage.
That is true. I'm still working over how to the finish the Technic frame.

Which is strange as they are the only ones you can use to actually make your case rigid. Relying purely on the stud friction force is fine for stationary use, I guess, but you better not be moving that thing too much.
I do not intend to move the computer much if at all.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
After getting home last night, I decided to tackle part of the front of the case.

At this point I decided to test fit the drives that I am going to use in the system. Unfortunately, they do not fit in the intended orientation.