What do you want in an ITX GPU case?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've been drafting a case designed for ITX video cards like the Nano and short GTX 970s so I can make sure it's compatible with the custom front audio for Nova that we're working on.

So I was wondering what you all are looking for in an ITX GPU case?

My thoughts so far are short GPU only (~180mm length), 2 x 2.5" mounts, and SFX-L support in ~9L.

Edit: Also, I was planning to put the PSU at the top instead of over the motherboard. Makes for a larger, taller case but doesn't suffocate the CPU like most other short GPU cases.

Last edited:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Given it's barely longer than an ITX motherboard, you might consider provisioning enough space for a Fury X

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd prefer the PSU on top of the motherboard too, to allow a decent CPU air cooler to be used. Be mindful of the PCIe power connectors, since the Nano has them located at the right side (instead of on top like most) when viewing the graphics card facing the core.

Since Z170 is all about back-mounted M.2, make sure there is a large cutout that allows install of an M.2 drive without disassembling the entire PC.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I've been getting impressions from build logs of compact ITX cases with a PSU-over-the-mobo layout that builders are struggling with GPU exhaust affecting both GPU and CPU temps, and I don't know if having a PSU at the top instead with a better (probably tower style) CPU cooler will automatically resolve this problem, but if not then I hope you will come up with a way of handling the exhaust of an ITX GPU.

I'm curious if you are thinking of the PSU fan intake to be facing up with case vents at the top, or facing down with no case vents at the top.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Given it's barely longer than an ITX motherboard, you might consider provisioning enough space for a Fury X

I thought about the Fury X but the problem is the tubing comes out the front so the depth would have to increase quite a bit for both that and to make room for its thick radiator. Of course, with a custom block it's only 194mm or something, but there really isn't much room for a custom loop and the extra depth is wasted space for all the other ITX cards so I'm hesitant to add more volume just for a custom blocked Fury X.

I'd prefer the PSU on top of the motherboard too, to allow a decent CPU air cooler to be used. Be mindful of the PCIe power connectors, since the Nano has them located at the right side (instead of on top like most) when viewing the graphics card facing the core.

Since Z170 is all about back-mounted M.2, make sure there is a large cutout that allows install of an M.2 drive without disassembling the entire PC.

Since there has to be a bit of space between the front of the motherboard and the front of the case for clearance, that leaves enough room for the Nano's power plugs.

Yes, I'm going to put a backplate cutout that extends down more than normal to give easy access to a M.2 drive on the back of the motherboard.

I've been getting impressions from build logs of compact ITX cases with a PSU-over-the-mobo layout that builders are struggling with GPU exhaust affecting both GPU and CPU temps, and I don't know if having a PSU at the top instead with a better (probably tower style) CPU cooler will automatically resolve this problem, but if not then I hope you will come up with a way of handling the exhaust of an ITX GPU.

I'm curious if you are thinking of the PSU fan intake to be facing up with case vents at the top, or facing down with no case vents at the top.

I'm concerned about the GPU exhaust heating up the case too. But unlike the PSU-over-mobo designs, there will be a rear 92mm fan to help exhaust. Also, I've found with Nova, with a large side intake fan, the positive pressure from that really helps keep the hot air from building up.

I'm thinking PSU facing up. Gives better airflow for the PSU obviously, but also means there doesn't need to be a separate top panel for handle mounting holes. And top exhaust should help with the internal heat issue.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Enough width and depth in the board space to handle M-DTX and maybe a little wider.
Smooth edges (not razors like the Jonsbo C2)
3 slots? (M-DTX again)
cable routing/hiding room
Vibration dampening on the 2.5" mounts (some of use laptop mechanical drives in these mounts you know!)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm leaning to no Mini-DTX support to save space. The M-DTX and pseudo M-DTX boards currently out aren't that compelling. If someone did come out with a truly enthusiast M-DTX board (two x16 slots) then I think a case designed around that would be more appropriate.

I'm planning on 160mm width, which is about the minimum to fit the ITX GTX 970s. SFX/SFX-L is only 125mm wide so with the PSU offset away from the motherboard that leaves a little pocket to stuff excess cable length. But that's about the extent of the cable management. I've considered adding more width for room behind the mobo tray but it just doesn't seem that helpful since the case is so small. Like the 24-pin, on ITX boards with the 24-pin on the right edge of the board, it's a straight run from the end of the PSU to the connector anyway, so trying to run it behind the tray is pointless.

I'll have to think about 2.5" drive vibration dampening. I was just going to have them mount directly to the frame front. With longer screws you could fit a rubber grommet between the drive and the frame.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
My thoughts so far are short GPU only (~180mm length), 2 x 2.5" mounts, and SFX-L support in ~9L.

The only reason I'm quoting you is because I just want to emphasize the point that I think this should be it for peripherals (that's not the right word, but you know what I mean). So, no optical, and no 3.5". Other than that, I'll just say keep it as small as you can :).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I tried fitting a 3.5" in the design but it just isn't that feasible and there's definitely no ODD support planned.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Definitely keep it aimed at the how small can you go air cooled gaming crowd - accommodate too many things and you become just another case with nothing distinguishing it.

Want a longer GPU? Get something else.
Need more storage? Get a NAS.
Need an ODD? Get a USB one.

Leave the cases that pander to every imaginable use case scenario for Asia to make.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm finding with SFF case design it's just as important to figure out what features shouldn't be included as it is what should.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
2.5" HDDs are plenty in my eyes, but I could see some people wanting to use such a case as an SFF NAS or HTPC with internal storage, so I wouldn't keep them from installing 3.5" HDDs on the bottom instead of a GPU or maybe even on the side. Having options like that is setting the barrier to entry a bit lower.
If you can stuff a slim ODD in there without increasing the volume, why not? From what you say about width and depth of the case, one should fit in front of the motherboard, it could eject to the side or the top.

I think having the SFX PSU as an exhaust at the top will really help temps. Something to worry about is good airflow for the GPU, though. It seems like the Osmi is having problems there.
Maybe compartmentalisation would work wonders? Have an acrylic piece above the GPU that sections it off from the other components?
Also take into account that most ITX cards are open-air (heck, the Gigabyte 970 has a completely closed back), so having vents for them to exhaust at the side of the case might help with temps.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's a good point, I was checking and there really isn't anything that can take 3.5" drives and a large CPU heatsink at this size. NCASE M1 would be the closest, though it has the advantage of being able to fit both two 3.5" drives and a GPU.

ODD would either interfere with the front IO or the front 2.5" mounts so I won't bother.

The GPU exhaust is probably the part of this design I'm most unsure of. I could add vents to the bottom edge of both side panels. Compartmentalization would certainly improve CPU temps but that's tricky to implement.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
You know, I was just thinking that it would be really nice if you somehow managed to design an orientation-neutral aesthetic. Most cases are designed as either towers, or desktops, and you can't really change your mind once you've chosen. I know most people will probably want it in tower form, but being able to move the feet to the side and turn the case orientation would be fantastic! I would love to do that with something like the Nova, and to a lesser extent the ncase M1, or Dan A4. I don't want the case to be as wide as most HTPC cases are (to fit in with other AV equipment).

To be honest, I'm going to buy a Nova (when I get the chance) even though I really don't need a tower and I'll have to find some kind of space for it somewhere, but really I'd love to be able to turn it on it's side and slide it onto a shelf, or stand it back up as a tower as the space dictates. I'm probably the only one thinking this, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway just to see.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What I'm thinking for the exterior panels on this case would allow for basically any orientation. Downside is it just uses simple rubber stick-on feet.

Nova will basically be stuck standing up though. The feet are semi-permanent.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
What I'm thinking for the exterior panels on this case would allow for basically any orientation. Downside is it just uses simple rubber stick-on feet.

Nova will basically be stuck standing up though. The feet are semi-permanent.

Well, I did consider the idea that I could turn it on its side and put it up on some alternative feet, it would just look funny :)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's an interesting idea. Too bad the ones with a useful height are 10-32 thread.