Concept What do I do with a Phanteks Evolv ITX???

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
A friend who knows that I like SFF and ITX kit very kindly donated his surplus Evolv ITX to me when he re cased his small rig.
At 34L it has a top 10 spot in the Space Inefficiency League TM, and has left me wondering what I can do with it.
I had it down from the attic last night, and it's bigger than my TJ-08E and ridiculous next to my SG-06!
Even my mATX board looks lost in there, never mind having to cut the mid plate to accommodate it.
I feel a responsibility to my friend to use it, but am lost as it will be SO full of empty, and I'm not into water cooling.
Maybe the HD 5970 that my LAN buddy has may use up some room.
What ideas have you SFFFers?

Last edited:

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
Come on guys! I think he was being serious!! XD I would say RGB the crap out of it if has a window and you can turn it into a party PC of some sort. Can be a fun project actually.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Mod it to be a desktop beer tap. Put a growler on the inside and tap out the front. You could probably retrofit some refrigeration equipment inside as well.
Think you'd get a feature on PCPartPicker?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the input guys!
It has no window, so I suppose I can shut in the emptiness!
I have been thinking about putting an LCD screen in the side and make it a 'luggable' rig...
Still could be room for some RGB goodness there though ;)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
"slipperyskip and Biowarejak like this"
Thanks Jeffrey, I'm not worthy...

I got the Evolv down from the attic the other day, while I was getting the SG06 for my daughter's upcoming build.
She [and neither could I for that matter], could not believe it was designed for the same size of motherboard. "It's bigger than the main home PC, Dad" she said, "that's mad".
So, it's still up there haunting me, and I still have no great inspiration of what to do with all that room in there

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Bookshelf ? BBQ ? Beer chiller ?

Merci, Guille - some more great off the wall suggestions.
My wife might be amused with it as a BBQ! I think that an old beige 90s case with heavy gauge steel would be better in that role, but a bookcase for paperback might be nice, with LED lighting, of course!
I did wonder about doing a charity build and sending it of as a competition prize...

Beer chiller does sound good, as I am sure that a mid level ITX 1080p gaming rig could coexist with a beer store with cooler. I wonder how many watts it needs? Hehehehe

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Aibo, I like your style! Take the opposite end of the thermodynamic spectrum to what's been suggested already.
My friend bought an old dual Radeon recently, that allegedly runs hot - maybe it could mine and heat food at the same time as suggested! Bye Bye microwave... It would of course be a Craptomining rig in this case ;)
I was impressed/shocked at the heat from a mining rig, when I visited a friend (ironically, the one who gave me the Evolv ITX...) at the change in temperature from one room to another, when I stepped into where his rig was. Open rack shelving and 6x R9 290/390 cards buzzing away. Fine in the winter, but not good in the summer!