What are you using to cut your case?

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, and if it's been posted before as I couldn't find a thread on this. I'm curious as to what people have used to cut their cases with, specifically aluminum cases. Most of what I've seen has been with a Dremel, but no real consensus on the bit used. So what are you all using and what do you think gives you the cleanest, most precise cuts? Thanks in advance.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I personally rough out with a Dremel and then hand file the details.

Reactions: jmarin

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Reactions: owliwar and jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
I use this: http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1369&groupID=1412

It allows to munch a little over 1mm thick panels and doesn't deform them. I like to use manual tools more than power tools. One of the precautions needed is to protect the surface for scuff marks but it allows quite some precision and lacks the tennancy to skip across the surface.
Can you use that to cut a hole in something? (After starting it with a drilled hole) I can't tell if you can get the tool into a tight spot or not.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I use the power of well placed pokes.

In all seriousness, my go to is a jigsaw for rough work (much better with bulk cutting aluminium than any rotary tool), dremel for finer work, and then file to fit.

Reactions: jmarin

phaelax

Caliper Novice
Jul 7, 2017
For metal, you can use an angle grinder and cutting wheel if you know what you're doing and still get clean straight cuts. I did a lot of steel fabrication in the army, so I'd use a plasma cutter if I had real thick metal or intricate shapes to cut. I've used a torch too, but that usually leaves me with a lot to grind afterwards.

At home, I'd probably just use a jigsaw as well. For aluminum, some tin snips would probably work pretty easily. Just remember to wear gloves, metal splinters suck!

Reactions: jtd871