What are you reading?

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
I figured that if we have a games thread why not have a books thread?
Recently I've been reading the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton.

Reactions: Phuncz

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Ive just finished reading "High Tech Espionage" by Jay Tuck. It was written in 1986 and is about soviet technology smuggling / embargo running, covers stuff from old mainframes like system360, 370, pdp11, to laser optics and machine tools to all kinds of other high technology (at the time). well worth a read

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Sounds interesting. I enjoy reading sci-fi from different eras to see how technology has changed.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Ive just finished reading "High Tech Espionage" by Jay Tuck. It was written in 1986 and is about soviet technology smuggling / embargo running, covers stuff from old mainframes like system360, 370, pdp11, to laser optics and machine tools to all kinds of other high technology (at the time). well worth a read
Sounds interesting. You might like Blind Man's Bluff, about the use of submarines for espionage during the cold war.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Currently reading 3 books.

L'épopée de Gilgamesh (epic of Gilgamesh):

Very interesting book about the epic of Gilgamesh. I love very old myths and writings, next book after this one will be the Edda (Nordics mythology).

Hiragana - Katakana:

Great book to learn the kanas (Hiragana and Katakana).

Physically based rendering:

This is THE book about physical principles of light transport for developers. A new edition has been issued, but I don't know what've been added.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've been slowly going through two books:

1. The Signal and the Noise. If you read FiveThirtyEight or have followed Nate Silver's work in the past ~8 years, his book is basically a compilation of a lot of that, with a focus on "data journalism" more broadly.

2. Becoming Wise. Krista Tippet's podcast On Being is wonderful if you find yourself interested in philosophy or ethics, and the book is more of the same, albeit more focused on her own personal anecdotes and philosophy (usually she's interviewing other folks, so the introspection is an interesting departure).

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
I kind of expected more science fiction books, but I guess that's my own bias. :p

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Speaking of which, I should actually finish Red Mars and Tarkin (and someone remind me to pick up Thrawn when it comes out).

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Speaking of which, I should actually finish Red Mars and Tarkin (and someone remind me to pick up Thrawn when it comes out).

Red Mars (Kim Stanley Robinson) is a good book, wasn't a big fan of the following ones (Blue, Green) though.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That's a shame.
Did you happen to read the Coyote series by Allen Steele? So far I've only read the first three books and Spindrift. Been meaning to read the rest.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Alas I kind of fell out of reading some time ago, haven't had the time!

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Post on whatever media (online, offline, book, magazine, and more) you've been reading. :)

I've been reading the Iliad/Odyssey, the manual for the SuperMicro X8DTG-QF, and (yes, you are reading this properly) Overwatch fanfictions. Some of them are actually very well-written (Hang the Fool, thanks dad love hana, and to a lesser extent Popcorn Redemption), others are really creative (Dads being one of them), and others are hilarious (Professionalism Not Included has me chuckling every time there's a new post).

Either way, what are y'all SFFers reading? :)

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The button I'm reading says "BAN".

Just kidding. Not so much reading, but proofing my latest review before publishing :)

Reactions: Choidebu

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
The button I'm reading says "BAN".

Just kidding. Not so much reading, but proofing my latest review before publishing :)
lol. I'll be refreshing the SFF Network reviews page every minute to see if I can catch it.