What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WadeAK78, Jul 28, 2016.

1. WadeAK78

WadeAK78 Master of Cramming

I figured that if we have a games thread why not have a books thread?
    Recently I've been reading the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton.

Phuncz likes this.
  2. jØrd

jØrd SCSI for life
    Moderator Gold Supporter Supporter of Efficiency LOSIAS Digital Seppuku

Ive just finished reading "High Tech Espionage" by Jay Tuck. It was written in 1986 and is about soviet technology smuggling / embargo running, covers stuff from old mainframes like system360, 370, pdp11, to laser optics and machine tools to all kinds of other high technology (at the time). well worth a read

3. WadeAK78

Sounds interesting. I enjoy reading sci-fi from different eras to see how technology has changed.

4. EdZ

EdZ Virtual Realist
    Gold Supporter

Sounds interesting. You might like Blind Man's Bluff, about the use of submarines for espionage during the cold war.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic SFF Guru
    Moderator LOSIAS

#5 GuilleAcoustic, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Currently reading 3 books.

L'épopée de Gilgamesh (epic of Gilgamesh):

[​IMG]

Very interesting book about the epic of Gilgamesh. I love very old myths and writings, next book after this one will be the Edda (Nordics mythology).

[​IMG]

Hiragana - Katakana:

[​IMG]

Great book to learn the kanas (Hiragana and Katakana).

Physically based rendering:

[​IMG]

This is THE book about physical principles of light transport for developers. A new edition has been issued, but I don't know what've been added.

6. PlayfulPhoenix

PlayfulPhoenix Just another human
    Site Staff Chimera Industries SFFLAB

I've been slowly going through two books:

[​IMG]

1. The Signal and the Noise. If you read FiveThirtyEight or have followed Nate Silver's work in the past ~8 years, his book is basically a compilation of a lot of that, with a focus on "data journalism" more broadly.

[​IMG]

2. Becoming Wise. Krista Tippet's podcast On Being is wonderful if you find yourself interested in philosophy or ethics, and the book is more of the same, albeit more focused on her own personal anecdotes and philosophy (usually she's interviewing other folks, so the introspection is an interesting departure).

7. onlyabloke

onlyabloke Cable-Tie Ninja

Only thing I've read recently was a Graphic Novel - Terminal Lance: The White Donkey by Maximilian Uriarte.

While overseas I read Good Omens (amazing book), The Book Thief (also amazing) and a couple of others I unfortunately can't remember the name to, but that was awhile ago.

Kind of want to start the Redwall series again though.

8. WadeAK78

I kind of expected more science fiction books, but I guess that's my own bias. :p

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey Standards Guru
    Silver Supporter

Speaking of which, I should actually finish Red Mars and Tarkin (and someone remind me to pick up Thrawn when it comes out).

10. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Site Staff LuxIndustries

Red Mars (Kim Stanley Robinson) is a good book, wasn't a big fan of the following ones (Blue, Green) though.

11. BirdofPrey

Silver Supporter

That's a shame.
    Did you happen to read the Coyote series by Allen Steele? So far I've only read the first three books and Spindrift. Been meaning to read the rest.

12. confusis

Site Staff LuxIndustries

Alas I kind of fell out of reading some time ago, haven't had the time!

13. Soul_Est

Soul_Est SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

Currently going through this book:
    [​IMG]

Going to start reading this:
    [​IMG]

14. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia aka James
    Chimera Industries

From what I've been reading, RTK has some really memorable mnemonics but the order the Kanji are presented in and the accuracy of the mnemonics to the actual meaning is lacking.

So if you haven't bought Heisig's already, you may consider The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course.

Soul_Est likes this.
  15. Soul_Est

Soul_Est SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

Thanks for the link. Checking it out now.

16. el01

el01 King of Cable Management

Post on whatever media (online, offline, book, magazine, and more) you've been reading. :)

I've been reading the Iliad/Odyssey, the manual for the SuperMicro X8DTG-QF, and (yes, you are reading this properly) Overwatch fanfictions. Some of them are actually very well-written (Hang the Fool, thanks dad love hana, and to a lesser extent Popcorn Redemption), others are really creative (Dads being one of them), and others are hilarious (Professionalism Not Included has me chuckling every time there's a new post).

Either way, what are y'all SFFers reading? :)

17. BirdofPrey

Silver Supporter

I am currently reading The High Cost of Free Parking

el01 likes this.
  18. el01

Nice! Never heard of it, but after a Wikipedia search, I've found that it's... interesting to say the least.

19. confusis

Site Staff LuxIndustries

The button I'm reading says "BAN".

Just kidding. Not so much reading, but proofing my latest review before publishing :)

Choidebu likes this.
  20. el01

lol. I'll be refreshing the SFF Network reviews page every minute to see if I can catch it.