Water cooling 1060/70 mini??

Zer0Sync

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
Hey guys,
I had to cut the heatsink of my 1070 mini to fit into my node 202, now I'm looking to have it water cooled in a custom loop.
I was hoping that anyone knew of a water block for it? or possibly a way to rig one on it and then a solution to cool the VRAM.
If you have any solutions or ideas I would love to hear them.
Thanks guys

-Cody Green

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
You can use a universal block. Just make sure to have airflow over your VRM's and memory, if you go that route, like this:

Brokoii

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2017
If you want a waterblock for the 1060 reference pcb I have one lying around. You can send your card to alphacool and they'll make a waterblock for it(it's pretty high quality)

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
They used a custom PCB design so the use of a full coverage waterblock looks bleak. Using a VGA water block and providing separate cooking for the VRM and RAM seems the quickest/affordable option, like @||| suggested.

Brokoii

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2017
If you have some time (I think it takes about 6 weeks) you can get a custom fullcover waterblock made for your card by alphacool for free.

Reactions: Curiosity

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
If you have some time (I think it takes about 6 weeks) you can get a custom fullcover waterblock made for your card by alphacool for free.
If I understand it correctly, the alphacool custom waterblocks aren't "full cover" in the traditional sense, i.e. no water flows over the VRM/memory heatsink. It's basically a beefy universal block with a custom machined heat sink around it. Still better than nothing, but not quite "full cover". Probably comparable in performance to the "hybrid" cards, but instead of a fan to cool the VRM/memory the either rely on passive cooling or maybe the waterblock is supposed to conduct heat from the heatsink, too?

Either way, the only reference to that offer I could find was old press releases and a reddit user saying he couldn't get any answer from them about it roughly a year ago so the chances of it still being a valid offer probably aren't great. :(

Reactions: ricochet

Brokoii

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2017
If I understand it correctly, the alphacool custom waterblocks aren't "full cover" in the traditional sense, i.e. no water flows over the VRM/memory heatsink. It's basically a beefy universal block with a custom machined heat sink around it. Still better than nothing, but not quite "full cover". Probably comparable in performance to the "hybrid" cards, but instead of a fan to cool the VRM/memory the either rely on passive cooling or maybe the waterblock is supposed to conduct heat from the heatsink, too?

Either way, the only reference to that offer I could find was old press releases and a reddit user saying he couldn't get any answer from them about it roughly a year ago so the chances of it still being a valid offer probably aren't great. :(
I sent my 1060 in and got one build. They responded to my requests within 2 days. The block is not a fullcover like ek blocks, but its kinda like the hybrid solution from EVGA where a heatsink touches the vrm&Vram and the waterblock with no direkt contact between heatsink and components. The rest of the waterblock acts as a big passive heatsink so temperatures should be no problem at all.
Where are you from? Maybe they're only offering this to germans since shipping (which alphacool will cover) is gonna be more expensive to other countrys.

Reactions: ImperialAlex

waster

Case Bender
Feb 17, 2017
This 1070 WCed question gives me headache !
At the moment, 4 different models/PCB :

Gigabyte GTX 1070 mini ITX OC http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/OTA...BYTE-GeForce-GTX-1070-Mini-ITX-OC-UDV-_57.jpg
Zotac GTX 1070 mini https://s13.postimg.org/l6ww9mi87/IMG_1972.jpg
MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX
Palit/Galax/KFA2 1070 OC mini (also 1080 !) https://cdn.videocardz.net/cache/473ee5000577fbb344733a54ed8da809-1200x900.jpg

The three first are tall cards. With most existing blocks, this is messing with bottom G1/4 coolant holes.
The last one is close to GTX970 PCB, but it still may take some serious customization to fit a 970 block, starting with the mounting holes !

Brokoii

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2017
So i had the same idea to watercool an ITX gtx 1060
If its a reference modell i'd have an option for you that requires less modding and is probably also cheaper, because i have the waterblock that i got still around here and its not being used.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
AWESOME thank you :p

I see you purchased it (or someone did). I was kinda planning to get it myself someday soon- hopefully it gets relisted. If not, I might just wait until someone makes a block to fit that Zotac 1080 mini.

Like I said, you'll have to cut off the black part if you want it the same length as the PCB. I've helped someone do something similar in the past- if you don't know your way around shop tools, find someone who does! To safely cut the waterblock you need a precise saw (like a miter saw) and preferably some kind of lubricant. I can't quite tell if you'll be cutting through metal or not, but even if the black part is just plastic, it would be way too easy to clip the edge of the metal part by accident, which you do NOT want to do with something like a bandsaw. Be careful.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Anyone have any pictures of the Gigabyte 1070 mini with the waterblock on it? I have one and I'm considering this route. The one that @Ganelon mentioned is out of stock at the moment. @Genesiss which block did you purchase?

Apparently someone finally sent their Gigabyte 1070 mini card to Alphacool, because now they have one up on their site:
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-...ia-geforce-gtx-1070-m04-mit-backplate-schwarz

It's right here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LN0VGY4/?tag=theminutiae-20

You have to click "see all buying options".