Wanting to do a ryzen nuc.

Blindfack

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
I'm thinking the R5 2400g in an M350 mini itx. I'm also wanting to do some good gaming on the system too, so a small over clock may be optimal. Any cooler suggestions? I'm assuming a better cooler will mean a higher watt requirement. Would the. 250wat pico be needed or just like a 150?

Reactions: cleveland

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
While a NUC-sized rig (less than 1 liter) will be quite difficult, you can get smaller than mITX easily thanks to ASRock's recent DeskMini A300: https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini A300 Series/

With that barebones kit, you already have case, motherboard and power supply checked. With a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 you'll have the cooler figured out as well. The ASRock site also has RAM suggestions for the 2400G, so you're basically done :)

Blindfack

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
While a NUC-sized rig (less than 1 liter) will be quite difficult, you can get smaller than mITX easily thanks to ASRock's recent DeskMini A300: https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini A300 Series/

With that barebones kit, you already have case, motherboard and power supply checked. With a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 you'll have the cooler figured out as well. The ASRock site also has RAM suggestions for the 2400G, so you're basically done :)

That sounds nice. what chip set is the MOBO? Like I said I'd like to overclock a bit.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
That sounds nice. what chip set is the MOBO? Like I said I'd like to overclock a bit.

A300 chipset, which is not even really a chipset, but the integrated I/O in the APU itself...

X300 is the "virtual chipset" needed to OC, hopefully ASRock will give us a bios update someday for the A300 Deskmini that will allow limited OC abilities (limited due to the 120W power brick)...?

Reactions: Phuncz

Blindfack

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
Hmmmmm perhaps the M350 with an itx 450 bored and a 250w Pico would be better option then. and that would also kind of future proof it. as long as the 3000 series wothh go into the am4 and open it up for a decent OC

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If you're looking to OC STX is definitely not right for you - it's not built for it, the VRM would likely struggle, and the power brick would quickly become a limiting factor (and upgrading to a bigger brick would likely soon have you run into issues with the power input jack).

As for the M350, what's the biggest cooler you can fit into that?

Other than this definitely not fitting the term 'NUC' no matter what, I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress :)

Reactions: Phuncz