Production Wallye Tactik Duffle for SFF carry (M1, A4, SG13, Laptop + eGPU)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2020-09-15: Introducing iteration 3, the EDC (every day carry) Backpack, see this thread!

Wallye Tactik Duffle

I created this duffle to make moving, traveling and flying with SFF systems less miserable. The idea and product design is based on inputs within the original "NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community" thread.

2018-06-24 Update:

DAN Cases A4 packed inside the Duffle
* The folded padding on the top left corner is meant to stop lateral movement inside the bag.

NCASE M1 packed inside the duffle.
* The folded padding on the top left corner is meant to stop lateral movement inside the bag.

A video for those that had questions about how to install the Modular Padding Kit:

Also confirmed that a 21.5" monitor with thin bezel should fit:

2018-06-12 Update:

One bag for the entire PC and using my laptop as a monitor.

Best of both worlds, Mac and PC, Battery Life and Performance.

2018-02-22 Update:

For those that prefer the V1 look, we made the removable Luggage Strap Kit to bridge the gap.

Introducing Version 2 (click photo for high resolution).

Shoulder Strap (click photo for high resolution).

Full size keyboard and TKL keyboard bags (click photo for high resolution).

For folks concerned about backpack strap comfort, there is cushion preventing the metal attachments from aching your back (click photo for high resolution).

Interior

On The Go

Small Bags

Version 1

Notable features:
- Water-resistant 1680D Ballistic Nylon, YKK zippers, carry-on ready 40x30x20cm / 16x12x8in
- Front pouch sized large enough to fit most ten-key-less (TKL) mechanical keyboards.
- A removable gadget tray that neatly secures your gadgets in one place
- Padded main compartment proportioned to fit with the following solutions:
. NCASE M1​
. Dan Cases A4-SFX​
. SFF systems smaller than 370 x 260 x 170mm​
. The Razer Core or other eGPU dock with laptop​

↑ NCASE M1 inside the bag and traveling/moving setup with a 31" LG 31MU97 Monitor

↑ Dan Case A4-SFX, Laptop + Razer Core eGPU, SilverStone SG13 (A4 and Razer Core are similar in size) also fits. I have also used this bag for my drone and every day carry.

↑ The front pocket can fit a TKL mechanical keyboard or a gadget tray. Full size keyboard can be strapped to the top of the bag.

I believe there is an optimal combination with the duffle and carry-on. The duffle qualifies as a personal item based on it's dimensions, so you can technically bring both the duffle and a carry-on suitcase onto an airplane.

For example:

Combination M1 / A4 / Ghost / laptop + eGPU / other SFF systems smaller than 370x260x170mm :
- Personal Item (Tactick Duffle): M1, TKL Mechanical KB, Mouse, Cables, Battery banks
- Wheeled Carry-on Suitcase (Tactik Frequent Flyer 45L, still prototype stage): 24" monitors, HTC VIVE, Clothing + Shoes (like Vans, something low profile)

Combination PCX / Sentry / Node 202 / other console PCs :
- Personal Item (Tactick Duffle): Clothing+ Shoes, Battery banks
- Wheeled Carry-on Suitcase (Tactik Frequent Flyer 45L, still prototype stage): 24" monitors, HTC VIVE, TKL Mechanical KB, Mouse, Cables

Basically, M1 in the duffle and the monitor in a suitcase. Alternatively, PCX and monitor into the suitcase, the duffle for cloth.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice product, it seems to be well thought out and a valuable accessory for an M1 or A4 user on the go !

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I have a Joey backpack and it is my favorite back pack ever.
I travel a lot and I like the idea of a SFF plus Monitor.
I confirmed my backpack can hold an NCase m1 in the main compartment, and an Ipad 9.7inch.
Why an ipad?
Well, because of packedpixels
The only portable monitor that accepts display port that I have found happens to be Ipad sized.
They were kind enough to confirm to me that it works just like a regular monitor.

So basically, I am set for now, but if you can make the 24 inch monitor + SFF case combo a reality, I am all over it.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I have a Joey backpack and it is my favorite back pack ever.
I travel a lot and I like the idea of a SFF plus Monitor.
I confirmed my backpack can hold an NCase m1 in the main compartment, and an Ipad 9.7inch.
Why an ipad?
Well, because of packedpixels
The only portable monitor that accepts display port that I have found happens to be Ipad sized.
They were kind enough to confirm to me that it works just like a regular monitor.

So basically, I am set for now, but if you can make the 24 inch monitor + SFF case combo a reality, I am all over it.

The prototype is in the mail, will show some pictures after I do some test.

Reactions: grumpyrobin

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

I'm hoping see more about the 24" carry-on. What's the planned thickness limit for the PC?

This is the Tactik Frequent Flyer carry-on bag protoype. You can see it below with the Asus VX24AH (2560x1440, IPS, 23.8"), M1 and monitor, M1 and monitor zipped up. Keep in mind, in order to fit a 24" monitor, there is minimum padding (~5mm), b/c there is no more space. This is also the reason why I made the duffle, some people like more padding.

* I'm sure you noticed that the monitor stand is sticking out. For those using a monitor with VESA, it's less of an issue. For the Asus monitors, you CAN remove the stand, just follow this video guide. I'm going to remove the stand on my VX24AH and attempt to put a VESA bracket into the monitor, will make a video assuming I don't destroy the monitor and fail miserably.

Obviously, the bag will also hold 24" monitor and A4 / Ghost / SG13 / Razer Core / eGPU, console size desktops like PCX / Sentry / Node 202 will also fit. The following images should help.

* The Razer Core eGPU is an approximate size for A4 / Ghost. The 15" MacBook Pro (w. Touch Bar) is an approximate size for PCX / Sentry / Node 202.

I will be flying to Computex with some of the forum members. Based on the trip and feedback from these forum members, I will need to make more changes, so no ETA until the product development is done.

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
This is the Tactik Frequent Flyer carry-on bag protoype. You can see it below with the Asus VX24AH (2560x1440, IPS, 23.8"), M1 and monitor, M1 and monitor zipped up. Keep in mind, in order to fit a 24" monitor, there is minimum padding (~5mm), b/c there is no more space. This is also the reason why I made the duffle, some people like more padding.

* I'm sure you noticed that the monitor stand is sticking out. For those using a monitor with VESA, it's less of an issue. For the Asus monitors, you CAN remove the stand, just follow this video guide. I'm going to remove the stand on my VX24AH and attempt to put a VESA bracket into the monitor, will make a video assuming I don't destroy the monitor and fail miserably.

Obviously, the bag will also hold 24" monitor and A4 / Ghost / SG13 / Razer Core / eGPU, console size desktops like PCX / Sentry / Node 202 will also fit. The following images should help.

* The Razer Core eGPU is an approximate size for A4 / Ghost. The 15" MacBook Pro (w. Touch Bar) is an approximate size for PCX / Sentry / Node 202.

I will be flying to Computex with some of the forum members. Based on the trip and feedback from these forum members, I will need to make more changes, so no ETA until the product development is done.

It is very nice, and I like it.

Can you share with us the 3 sizes please?
most carry-on limits witdh limits are 25cm but many european airlines only have 20cm allowed.

Of course, Imagine getting a thinner monitor and thinner case can keep me within 20cm, but I also see side paddings to give it structure, but can it fit within 20cm?

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
55x35x20cm, unzip to expand to 55x35x25cm.

At 20cm, it's enough for console PCs like the PCX / Sentry / Node 202.

At 25cm, it's enough for M1 / A4 / Ghost.

Yup, should be good
What is bugging me is the 55cm length though. I realize its the limit for 24inch monitor, but there are many Airlines that have 50cm (21.5 inch monitor limit) or even 45cm (no 1080p and over monitors fit this) as length limit. Of course, the length isn't really noticeable once you get past check in because you can put it under the chair in front of you or even in the overhead compartment just fine.................but there is always THAT ONE JER...check-in clerk that makes you put it the size checker and ruins your day.

I think the only way to work around this is to be confident enough in your bag that it will keep the contents intact even when you are forced to check it in.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Yup, should be good
What is bugging me is the 55cm length though. I realize its the limit for 24inch monitor, but there are many Airlines that have 50cm (21.5 inch monitor limit) or even 45cm (no 1080p and over monitors fit this) as length limit. Of course, the length isn't really noticeable once you get past check in because you can put it under the chair in front of you or even in the overhead compartment just fine.................but there is always THAT ONE JER...check-in clerk that makes you put it the size checker and ruins your day.

I think the only way to work around this is to be confident enough in your bag that it will keep the contents intact even when you are forced to check it in.

Agreed, now if there were more better 21.5" / 22" monitors, that could also work.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg problem. I want a 22"-24", 2560x1440, 144hz, Freesync/Gsync monitor. But I can't talk to Samsung or LG unless I can proof there is demand. So I need to create a bag to show the possibility, so they will entertain the idea of making better 22"-24" monitors. As consumers, we win by having more choices.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Manufacturers don't need to go down to 22" for carrying on if they'd just ditch the stupid bezels. A nice bezelless 24" monitor with aforementioned features would be the Holy Grail IMO. As an example, this LG is 541mm

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP88HV-S-led-monitor

The Asus monitor Wahaha is using is also frameless. Even frameless it's too big.

I did find a 21.5 inch frameless super light weight dc powered 1080p monitor by viewsonic
And a 23.8 inch somewhat thin and light 1080p 144hz monitor by acer
But...they aren't a solution.

Right now the best thing we can do to fit in the 45 cm limit is to make DIY monitors. DIY Perks made a 1080p screen using a 15.6 laptop panel.
So I was looking into making maybe a 17.3 inch 4k diy screen, but because there are no forerunners I don't know which lcd controller boards on ebay to use. All the controller boards that can do 4k are chinese, and there is no info on the input lag etc.

There is one custom made Godlike controller board that can do 270hz 1080p -144hz 1440p - 4k 60hz and freesync, from a guy on Hardforum, but he can barely make 3-4 boards at a time. plus they are a bit expensive for some1 to use in a DIY project with no prior experience.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Agreed, now if there were more better 21.5" / 22" monitors, that could also work.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg problem. I want a 22"-24", 2560x1440, 144hz, Freesync/Gsync monitor. But I can't talk to Samsung or LG unless I can proof there is demand. So I need to create a bag to show the possibility, so they will entertain the idea of making better 22"-24" monitors. As consumers, we win by having more choices.

It's annoying As F.. isn't it.

If I knew someone with lcd monitor knowledge I would make a kickstarter for a portable freesync 17.3inch 120hz monitor. The panels are easy enough to purchase, but the controller boards need to be designed from scratch I imagine.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
A separate display that can attach magnetically to the case (like an ipad cover ) would be very cool.

In another conversation, I been told that the Gsync / response time on a laptop is not as good as a desktop panel.

On the other hand, a 20-22" screen attached to a casing might be interesting.