Visual Stim's Travel Rig, S4 Mini 6700k / 1080 mini

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I'm still not done with this build, but here it is.

Current

- i7 6700k (will move to 7700k when the price is right)
- ASUS ROG Strix Z270I
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB
- Noctua L9i
- ZOTAC 1080 Mini
- G-Unique Arch Daemon
- Lian Li USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 20pin Header UC-01
- Lian Li USB 3.1 Type-C PW-IC01NH45
- Ultra Slim SATA cables
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- 512gb Samsung 960 Pro

Future (waiting for Thanksgiving)

- 512gb Samsung 960 Pro

The wire running under the motherboard is the Type C port cable from Lian Li. I didn't think the cable was going to be that thick. You might be able to take a razor to cut off the rubber shielding on it.

Wire Organization

Basically searched Prismatic Powders for the colors I wanted for powdercoating. Make sure you ask Josh for a S4 Mini that is already finished for powdercoating.

You want to buy 1lb increments of powder (you won't even use it all)
My 2 powders came out to $35 overnight'ed
To get them coated, it was $40

I carefully made a template that wouldn't show the inner wall of the case, it came out great. If you goes this route you need to be VERY patience and a steady hand.

Somewhat finished.

Wrap is now flush with the GPU with no need for a 3D Bezel.

My biggest complaints / upgrades I would want for this case.

- Lift the motherboard posts just a tad to allow cabling under
- Expand the height to allow 4x 2.5" HDD / SSD
- Expand the height to allow a better CPU fan (NF-A9)
- Mount for Lian Li PW-IC01NH45 Type C cable
- G-Unique with 4x SATA Power
- USB3.0 HEADER to Type C port / cable
- Honeycomb venting
- Run a longer PCIE extension / shorter PSU cable, flip the GPU where the fans are facing the same way as the CPU fan.
- Wrap that is cut for a longer GPU OR Expand the inner case just a tad to accommodate the ZOTAC GPUs

Will be cutting the Wrap to accommodate these between the power button and GPU.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Fabulous job you did, the cable management and the cut out for the 1080 are very well done.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Inspiring stuff, really like some of the mods here, especially the USB-C. Makes me actually want to take some time and post my build so far...

Reactions: Jonny727272

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Fabulous job you did, the cable management and the cut out for the 1080 are very well done.

Inspiring stuff, really like some of the mods here, especially the USB-C. Makes me actually want to take some time and post my build so far...

Thanks guys. I still need to go back and file the inside of the power button area (button wont fit) waiting for black friday to see whats up with Samsung deals.

I still want Ram Slots like Josh did for Linus

Will I upgrade to coffee lake? I’m not sure I would like to see 8700K runs on Premiere before I do and I believe the Asus Strix board (dual m.2) doesn’t come out till December.

My biggest gripe is there’s no Thunderbolt 3 and the board with TB3 only has 1 M.2.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks guys. I still need to go back and file the inside of the power button area (button wont fit) waiting for black friday to see whats up with Samsung deals.

I still want Ram Slots like Josh did for Linus

Will I upgrade to coffee lake? I’m not sure I would like to see 8700K runs on Premiere before I do and I believe the Asus Strix board (dual m.2) doesn’t come out till December.

My biggest gripe is there’s no Thunderbolt 3 and the board with TB3 only has 1 M.2.

The Z370 Strix is out already, at least here in the US. I think you are going to have trouble cooling it with the limited coolers available in your case. Reviews are showing even with a Delid they run hotter than the 7700k.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
The Z370 Strix is out already, at least here in the US. I think you are going to have trouble cooling it with the limited coolers available in your case. Reviews are showing even with a Delid they run hotter than the 7700k.

thought it was December guess not. I'll most likely move to a 7700K when the price is right and its pretty much 100% hackintosh-able now

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I thought I would open up the Lian Li Type C come connector and was surprised they are using the same type of data wire my SATA cables are. But is this unshielded cable live?

Last edited:

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
First I dremeled some of the GPU shroud and it didn’t look great at all, so I pulled the whole thing apart and will cut some of the shroud to make it look nicer and not have problems with a vent plate

Last edited:

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Did some tidying up.

Before

After

- Cutting the GPU shroud has allowed more air to vent through the front which is a plus.

- I used gaffers tape on the Lian Li Type C connector allowing the cable to be more "flat" and now it fits better when putting the sides back on.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Did some tidying up.

Before

After

- Cutting the GPU shroud has allowed more air to vent through the front which is a plus.

- I used gaffers tape on the Lian Li Type C connector allowing the cable to be more "flat" and now it fits better when putting the sides back on.
Love it. You should gaffers tape the back of those SSDs bro. :D

Also, in your OP, that Wire Organization pic... WOW DUDE. I love it. Can you PM me exactly what you ordered from gury to get that Power Supply and those cables? I have almost an identical rig to yours (same mobo and GPU but a 7700k) And I'd like to have more managed cables and a more capable PSU/Powerbrick in case I ever decide to drop some cash on an 8700K/1080ti/new mobo. (highly unlikely, but theres a 5% chance)

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Love it. You should gaffers tape the back of those SSDs bro. :D

Also, in your OP, that Wire Organization pic... WOW DUDE. I love it. Can you PM me exactly what you ordered from gury to get that Power Supply and those cables? I have almost an identical rig to yours (same mobo and GPU but a 7700k) And I'd like to have more managed cables and a more capable PSU/Powerbrick in case I ever decide to drop some cash on an 8700K/1080ti/new mobo. (highly unlikely, but theres a 5% chance)

I bought the Arch Daemon PSU setup he sells. (bought it from a member here though) overall I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I was able to get enough slack to do the cable management with what he sends you for a S4 mini.

- I like my setup as is right now but will jump on a 7700K when I find one for a good price used
- still deciding on 2x Samsung 2TB SSDs though. HDDs will have to do for now since I use those to dump RAW video / photos.

Reactions: CubanLegend

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Im going to order 3 more standoffs and pin them down in the vise / grind them down for the 3 threads at the bottom that connect the panels.

- you might be able to get away with 1/4 standoffs (6-32) with 2x more HDDs and full size 92mm cpu fan.

- ALSO if you float the panel you might be able to get a USB C to 20pin in the front under the panel you will need to make a mount out of thin aluminum angle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSVMJC/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Im going to order 3 more standoffs and pin them down in the vise / grind them down for the 3 threads at the bottom that connect the panels.

- you might be able to get away with 1/4 standoffs (6-32) with 2x more HDDs and full size 92mm cpu fan.

- ALSO if you float the panel you might be able to get a USB C to 20pin in the front under the panel you will need to make a mount out of thin aluminum angle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSVMJC/?tag=theminutiae-20

This is really neat. Could also allow you to fit in a taller CPU Cooler...

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
This is really neat. Could also allow you to fit in a taller CPU Cooler...

that Im not sure of.

NH-L9x65
Height (with fan) 65 mm

NH-L12S
Height (with fan) 70 mm

NH-L9i
Height (with fan) 37 mm

raising the panel by .5 inches isnt much

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

You want to buy
- 7x stand offs (91075A442)
- 7x 6/32 nuts, no nylock (ACE Hardware)
- box of screws (25) (92220A141)
- 1/16" Allen Key

The panel that wraps around the bottom you must use 3x 6/32 nuts to hold in the stand offs

here is the S4 Mini with the standoffs

so the standoffs are not even because of the wrap panel that offsets, I was going to grind down the standoffs but realized that I could just use a nut / spacer to do the spacing. I think I can use a nut on the 2.5" side and the middle, ACE closed so ill have to wait for tomorrow.

Last edited: