• SFF.N will be offline briefly for planned maintenance on May 24th, from 11:00 PM to 11:30 PM EDT.

Vintage radio project needs a redesign, looking for help

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
Editorial Staff
Gold Supporter
May 9, 2015
In the past I've made an internet radio out of the shell of an old radio:

Raspberry Pi 1st gen on the right, crappy power supply on the right.

It has been updated by then. The problem is, I have a amplifier that only plays one channel and a lot of issues I'd like to fix. But most of it can only be done by a full redesign. So I'm planning on changing almost everything except the case, speakers and RPi 3.

So let's start with the different issues. I need a new amplifier. Most likely a new power supply (currently 90W 19V laptop charger). A new solution for the audio source. I hope to get some advice about this.

Speakers:

High-end: 120-20.000Hz. Just the speakers, the PCB was broken.
Unsure but I believe 9W RMS at 4 Ohms

Low-end: 20-120Hz
About 50W RMS at 4 Ohms

I'd like a recommendation for an amplifier that will allow me to have low and high tones split. Something not too high-end in price as this is for streaming radio 50-70s music.

Audio Source:

I've used a Raspberry Pi 3 with the MusicBox distro. While it does everything, it doesn't do it without issues and isn't being updated. So I'm looking for a solution that can be controlled through web-interface and allows to play streams. Ideally it would also be an Airplay target. The older Raspberry Pi I had needed a seperate audio card to be remotely enjoyable but I found the 3rd generation Pi to be a lot better and I'll try and get good sound without it. Or use an USB DAC / Amp to keep the signal digital as long as possible.

Issues:

There are several things that need to be addressed but are not too huge:
  • potentiometers working a correctly sized.
  • easy to work with (connectors) but using quality wiring and layout. Recommendations to avoid electrical noise would be welcome.
  • keep most of the wait at the middle, but I might make a box for the "subwoofers".
  • figure out something for the old glass display so it is visible. I already have a warm LED strip in there but it's dispersing.