Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
First post. I was looking at the install manual for the VK-3...

Given that you're demonstrating a rear-mounted NVMe slot on the diagrams, these types of motherboards appear safe - but are they actually functional as opposed to just not interfering with the riser cable installation? No plans currently on installing there but would like to know if there is an opportunity.

Also, is fan support on the VK-3 strictly 80mm x 10mm thickness, or 15mm allowable?

Edit: My forum title is funny yet depressing at the same time

There is space for M.2 on the back side and maximum fan thickness is 10 mm.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
VK-3 looks very nice, but could you clarify PSU compatibility. You say modular flex PSUs won't work, how so? The bottom tray is longer than 150 mm to accommodate non-modular cables to bend out and upward. Many modular PSUs have up facing ports so additional horizontal space for cables to bend is not needed. Something like this one from taobao is an extra 24mm (174mm total). Not doable?

Semi-modular PSUs from Seasonic & FSP fit the 150mm requirement.

TheMissingPiece

Efficiency Noob
Feb 14, 2018
Glad this is finally out!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but how would I go about cooling an i9 9900k in the Velka 5? It's the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
I'm kinda similar - the vk5 is around the same size as a dan a4 (nearly half the weight and cheaper of course) but the a4 has the option of the asutek aio for the 3900x I'd stick in it!

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
All I can say is: holy fuck Im so excited for my VK3 case thats on the way! Cant wait to assemble, it looks fucking amazing!

Great job @VELKASE Michael , the case is worth every penny?

IMO rev1.1 pretty much nailed everything that could be improved upon.

If I had to nitpick - I would say universal slots instead of holes on the rear GPU chamber L-panel
Hoping that gets addressed in v1.2 ?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
There are some delays due to pending purchases/ unpaid invoices. If you have submitted a response through the form but have not yet received an invoice yet, there is still a chance that a case will be available for you. It will just take a little bit more time. Sorry about the slow and inefficient process.

Edit: silver and gray vk-3 and vk-5 have been sold out. If you chose a silver or gray color and have not been contacted yet, you should be contacted soon about a possible color change if one of the pending purchases of a black case is cancelled or September pre-order for the color originally requested.

Last edited:

wallysimmonds

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2018
I finally finished my Velka 3 build with the 3700x and Galax 2070 Mini. Overall, I'm happy with the case, but there are a few minor concerns for me. Putting in the GPU with both screws required quite a bit of force. The backplate on the Galax card seemed to barely fit, which may have been the cause. Would leaving the screw closer to the IO out be okay?

The Strix B450-I has its 8-pin power connector in a position that blocks the back 80mm fan when the case is in a more compressed position. This doesn't bother me much, as in the fully extended configuration the fans are free to move.

Finally, the L9a is struggling to cool the 3700x for me, even in open air. With everything at stock, a single Cinebench R20 run brings CPU temps into the 90s. Once the case fans are under control, the L9a is the loudest part of the system. I applied probably more thermal paste than necessary, but I feel like having a bit too much is better than having too little, and I'm unsure that reapplying will help much.

Digging up an old comment...

I'm looking at doing a similar build to you with the Velka 3 with a Ryzen 2600 and L9a.

Question for you is did you end up with the Enhance Flex PSU? I've just ordered it in as it was the last day they would ship them apparently, and didn't want to miss out.

On a semi related note, I'm running the Dancase A4 with the L9a and 3700x right now and my experience regarding temps has been the same as yours. I've got a Asetek 645 ready to be installed once all the Velka related goodies arrives =)

Mcw83

Cable Smoosher
Aug 2, 2019
Digging up an old comment...

I'm looking at doing a similar build to you with the Velka 3 with a Ryzen 2600 and L9a.

Question for you is did you end up with the Enhance Flex PSU? I've just ordered it in as it was the last day they would ship them apparently, and didn't want to miss out.

On a semi related note, I'm running the Dancase A4 with the L9a and 3700x right now and my experience regarding temps has been the same as yours. I've got a Asetek 645 ready to be installed once all the Velka related goodies arrives =)

Which Velka case are you putting the Asetek cooler in? Or is that for your Dan case?

wallysimmonds

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2018
Will be putting the AIO in the Dancase - the L9A which is currently cooling the 3700x in the Dancase I'll move over to the Velka/2600 (the 2600 runs a bit cooler from experience).

kofapox

Case Bender
Aug 15, 2019
VK-3 looks very nice, but could you clarify PSU compatibility. You say modular flex PSUs won't work, how so? The bottom tray is longer than 150 mm to accommodate non-modular cables to bend out and upward. Many modular PSUs have up facing ports so additional horizontal space for cables to bend is not needed. Something like this one from taobao is an extra 24mm (174mm total). Not doable?

Hello, nice power supplys, can you talk a little about realiability noise and quality of these, never saw one of these power supply, do you have any datasheet, manual? i bought one DPS-400AB-20C that failed after two months and now I am trying to repair... dont wanna to get scammed again at taobao.

Thanks!

AlanHolk

Case Bender
New User
Jun 5, 2019
First post. I was looking at the install manual for the VK-3...

Given that you're demonstrating a rear-mounted NVMe slot on the diagrams, these types of motherboards appear safe - but are they actually functional as opposed to just not interfering with the riser cable installation? No plans currently on installing there but would like to know if there is an opportunity.

I am using a VK-3 with ASRock X570 ITX/TB3 motherboard. The only NVMe slot is on the back of the motherboard. A M.2 drive mounted there will be sandwiched between the motherboard and the GPU riser cable with no air flow and no room for a heat sink.

If you want to use that slot (I had to since it was my only one), use an M.2 extension cable. I used
NGFF M.2 PCIe M-Key Extension Card with 20 CM Cable, part number M2-1442-EXT
(search for the part number, several places sell them)

I used it and put my M.2 drive and heat sink on top of the PSU. There is also plenty of room for it above the graphics card.

papasan

Case Bender
Aug 12, 2019
has anyone tried printing a stand for the VK-5 and flipping it upside down so the cables come out the bottom? seems like a better idea than a shroud.

AZengus

Cable Smoosher
Aug 5, 2019
Was confused by the package I received today... Smaller and lighter than a shoebox ?

Turns out it was the case ? Too bad the rest of my parts haven't arrived yet...

Edit: Thanks for the tip on the rear m.2 slot!

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Got the VK-5 and my second hand 2080 today. Literally laughed out loud when I saw that the VK-5 package is smaller than the EVGA box. Testing some parts in the old case before I install over the weekend. Verdict on the Black Ridge compatibility incoming as well!

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
Got the VK-5 and my second hand 2080 today. Literally laughed out loud when I saw that the VK-5 package is smaller than the EVGA box. Testing some parts in the old case before I install over the weekend. Verdict on the Black Ridge compatibility incoming as well!

what motherboard do you have that lets you use the BR with no riser? just curious