Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
On another note, I now have a source of internal power supply extension cables. They will make it possible to create slim cases, where the power supply is not on the back panel. One of the next designs that I am going to work on will be like a smaller Node 202.

Need to decide at some point whether slim cases should be part of a separate console case lineup as opposed to the performance per liter and portability focused Velka lineup. I would imagine that consoles tend to be moved around less frequently than desktops, need some front IO, and need to be better looking.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
Recommended Hardware
Power supply:
If using a graphics card that requires power connector:
  • (~$90) SilverStone SST-FX350-G
    • 350 W, black casing, braided cables, 6 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold
  • (~$90) FSP Group FSP400-60FGGBA
    • 400 W, 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold. Quieter than other options, less cable clutter compared to 500W variant below. Best value.
  • (~$110) FSP Group FSP500-50FGGBN
    • 500 W, dual 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold
  • ($~130) Enhance ENP-7660B
    • 600 W, dual 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Platinum. Can be found on eBay, ships worldwide

Hi, are you really sure that the FSP400-60FGGBA has a GPU power connector?
Specs here: https://www.fsp-group.com/en/product/ipcpsu/1487906449-150.html

Marbolite

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2019

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
One online store in Europe that sells this power supply says that this power supply does not have a 6+2 pin connector due to it being a region specific variant.

However, this seems like nonsense because the only region dependant feature there should be in this power supply is the replaceable input cable. The part number that they sell is exactly the same as the part number sold in North America, which is accurately described on FSP's website.

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
One online store in Europe that sells this power supply says that this power supply does not have a 6+2 pin connector due to it being a region specific variant.

However, this seems like nonsense because the only region dependant feature there should be in this power supply is the replaceable input cable. The part number that they sell is exactly the same as the part number sold in North America, which is accurately described on FSP's website.
I actually purchased the Fsp psu 400w from that store that claims that it doesn't have a 6+2 pin connector. I will post pictures of the model number and pics of the PSU itself so we can all verify if there really is any difference lol

pavemsx

Case Bender
Aug 8, 2019
Hi Michael,
I am going to buy the Velka 5 tomorrow,
what do you consider the most effective CPU cooling solution for Ryzen 3000 in this case ?
Considering the 48mm cooler height I thought about a blackridge or cryorig c7 heatsink with an Noctua fan.
Are you going to ship these cases to europe until the end of august or is this just a preorder tomorrow?

Thank you for your awesome work so far ;)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I have not personally tested the Black Ridge cooler, so the only coolers I can recommend for Ryzen 3000 are the Cryorig C7, its variants, and the Noctua NH-L9. There are AM4 incompatibility issues with some version of the Black Ridge cooler that I would suggest looking into if you are considering the Black Ridge.

Cases will most likely start shipping as early as the next day after orders open. Some orders may ship up to a week later depending on the demand.

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
@pavemsx I have a new (purchased two months ago) black ridge that I have installed on an Aorus B450i and 3600 that I intend to use in the VK5. The Black ridge doesn't overhang the pcie slot or the edge of the motherboard so it should work assuming all heights are accurate. I'll report back when can I get my hands on this case.

Reactions: Sunkend

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Launch is slightly delayed. Cases should be ready for order no later than Monday, August 12.

Those who have signed up for notifications will receive an email 24 hours before launch.

DevoJS44

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 8, 2019
I'm also curious about the state and design of the Velka 7. I'd like the extra expansion slot but I also really like the design of the Velka 5 and I don't want to wait for a 7 if it will be significantly different than the Velka 5

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I will share my design idea for the VK-7 a little bit later in August because much of it depends on how well VK-5 is received. It will likely be released in October instead of September, which would help continue the pattern of releasing something new every second month.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The order form for VK-3 and VK-5 mini ITX cases will open in about 28 hours at 21:00 UTC Monday, August 12. All information on these cases in the top post has been updated to reflect the final models. User manuals will be available soon.

VK-3 without riser: 99.99 USD
VK-3 with riser: 119.99 USD
VK-5 without riser: 149.99 USD
VK-5 with riser and two angled HDMI adapters: 159.99 USD
Free shipping to USA (1-3 days) and 29.99 USD shipping to all other countries (1-3 weeks)

VF-8010 fan: 15.99 USD
Free shipping to USA and 5.99 shipping to all other countries.

Changes in VK-3 rev 1.1:
-new black color
-thumbscrews for riser and power supply installation
-zip ties replaced with reusable cable ties for internal and external cables
-top and bottom gaps now closed when case is extended
-one 2 x 16 cm back panel gap now closed when case is used in single slot mode
-one 2 x 16 cm back panel gap now closed when case is used in dual slot mode without expansion card
-no bend lines on front panel (cosmetic defect on rev 1.0)
-VF-8010-PWM fans now have heat-shrink cover for wires for easier management
-more symmetrical side panel
-easier 2.5" drive installation on CPU side
-honeycomb perforation on case bottom
-improved compatibility with rear mounted M.2 SSD
-additional mount for AC wifi antennas in place of expansion slot

Some renders show the old, inaccurate gray color. Here is a more accurate representation of this color.

Last edited:

OvoFox11

Case Bender
Aug 11, 2019
Honestly a little disappointed by the price of the VK-5, but happy to see it released! Both of the cases look great, super hyped to see them in action.

LiYonJin

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2019
just to confirm if this will fit a HDplex 400W + Dell power brick set up? if so I may consider giving up my Dan case and go even smaller