Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
It only covers the motherboard gap and a PCI slot cover will not be compatible. I can 3D print it or give you a 3D printable file.

3D print is more than sufficient if 1 piece covers the entire 2-slot gap - you might want to consider giving a breakaway line so that single-slot configurations can simply cut/snap the piece in 2

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
New expected availability date for Velka 3 and 5 is August 9.

What is everyone's preference for assembly instruction format? User manuals, photo guides, or video guides?
Those who want to answer without replying to the thread can answer this as a multiple choice question in a few seconds here.

I think a video couldn't hurt, but a detailed pdf manual with some pictures can go a long way to address most questions of experienced and newer builders alike that are interested in the product. The sentry 2.0 I've seen gets praise for the detailed pdf manual so I'd imagine something like that would be a great starting point

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
@VELKASE Michael what's the maximum supported width for graphics cards in the VK5? Two slots is specified in the specs but I didn't know if a graphics card over that would still fit. Mine is two slot but 53mm wide.

Thanks

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Exciting case and exciting to see progress for flex cases and PSUs.

I assume the new FSP Flexguru 300w fits as well?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Exciting case and exciting to see progress for flex cases and PSUs.

I assume the new FSP Flexguru 300w fits as well?

Yes. Did this model become available just now?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
yes, see https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/fsp-modular-flex-atx-psu-computex-2019.10924/#post-157933

I hope it's reasonably quiet -- should be a great fit for this case and a medium-spec build.

Nice find. Hopefully the 500W model comes out soon. I personally find the usefulness of the modular 300W modular model to be limited, considering that a non-modular 400W model can be bought for less and can support cards more powerful than a GTX 1650. This one seems to offer little more than improved looks.

Reactions: dotch

TheMoeBlob

Chassis Packer
Jan 13, 2019
I can't seem to find any exact dimensions of the v5 anywhere. I just want to know the footprint in terms of lengths of sides not area if possible, got to see if it fits exactly how I want on my desk

**edit: never mind, seems I didn't look hard enough**

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The other issue is that even though it's modular, the cables use shared connectors, so you still have to plug in a lot of stuff you won't use. If you have just one 2.5" drive, you still have to have all 6 SATA connections in your case, kind of defeats the purpose. And 300W/no 8-pin is underwhelming, I hope they release the 500W with proper modular connections.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The other issue is that even though it's modular, the cables use shared connectors, so you still have to plug in a lot of stuff you won't use. If you have just one 2.5" drive, you still have to have all 6 SATA connections in your case, kind of defeats the purpose. And 300W/no 8-pin is underwhelming, I hope they release the 500W with proper modular connections.
There is also the Silverstone 350W unit, which has a 6 pin PCIe connector (but not 6+2) and on the other hand the cables are not detachable.

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
New expected availability date for Velka 3 and 5 is August 9.

What is everyone's preference for assembly instruction format? User manuals, photo guides, or video guides?
Those who want to answer without replying to the thread can answer this as a multiple choice question in a few seconds here.
For me any is fine as long as I can assemble it hahah ...

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
@VELKASE Michael

Do you have any screws that come with the case for the 8010 fans please? I know it's probably not but it'd help me a lot if you'd include them so I don't have to loose another 3-4 weeks to find/buy them and then wait till they come :D

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael

Do you have any screws that come with the case for the 8010 fans please? I know it's probably not but it'd help me a lot if you'd include them so I don't have to loose another 3-4 weeks to find/buy them and then wait till they come :D

Silver cases come with 8 silver fan screws. Gray and black cases do not come with fan screws.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Michael,

IIRC you were going to detail the quality improvements with the August batch - do you have any updates on that ??

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Michael,

IIRC you were going to detail the quality improvements with the August batch - do you have any updates on that ??

I will post about that here after QA is complete. Everything depends on it, actually.

Quality assessment -> Updated specifications and compatibility -> Updated explanations and guides

Reactions: sid21177