Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Any internal structural changes planned for the VK3 in the august release ??

If I may suggest the following
1. The sets of mounting holes on the rear L-bend can be replaced by a set of 3 slits similar to the ones on the front L-bend. That will give a lot of flexibility in terms of mount spacing

2. If the slits were close enough to the rear bend - you could give 3.5" HDD side mounting holes on the rear metal strip. One could then use both the side & bottom mounts of the 3.5" HDD to mount it vertically - 4 screws holding the HDD would solve the current instability problem for that class of HDD.

Last edited:

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017
Has Velka 5 support for 120mm AIO or 92mm AIO (Asetek 645lt) using an Sfx Psu and mini itx gpu?
Or it's possible to use a flex atx(150mm) like Velka 3, a mini itx gpu and a 92/120mm radiator? Basically reducing height from Sfx to Flex for the 92mm radiator

If not is going to be difficult to cool an i7/i9/ryzen 7 with 48mm cooler.

Btw, a great case and excellent space optimization for components!

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
Hey guys,

can anyone recommend me a good pair of 2 80mm fans for Velka 3 case please? There's one video on YT that recommends this one:

Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2500 RPM

But this one isn't available in my area... Are there any other fans that I could consider using that are silent and efficient? I'm looking for the best of best...

Edit: I found 2 of these on ebay... Are these the best for velka 3 case? :D

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Any internal structural changes planned for the VK3 in the august release ??

If I may suggest the following
1. The sets of mounting holes on the rear L-bend can be replaced by a set of 3 slits similar to the ones on the front L-bend. That will give a lot of flexibility in terms of mount spacing

2. If the slits were close enough to the rear bend - you could give 3.5" HDD side mounting holes on the rear metal strip. One could then use both the side & bottom mounts of the 3.5" HDD to mount it vertically - 4 screws holding the HDD would solve the current instability problem for that class of HDD.

Both are good suggestions. It is too late in the process to implement these changes. Next time, #1 can be implemented for a small ease of use improvement and #2 can be done if adding holes does not make that rear strip of metal too fragile. Rev 1.1 is mostly meant to deliver the same rev 1.0 case as before with some small improvements to the build quality (more details on that soon), so no significant structural changes have been made. There will be a honeycomb pattern spanning the bottom of the case for weight reduction, making it possible to include for free a 1) metal cover the large rear opening and 2) rear HDPLEX plate. I have yet to personally test how well these two parts work; they should be considered experimental features for the time being.

Has Velka 5 support for 120mm AIO or 92mm AIO (Asetek 645lt) using an Sfx Psu and mini itx gpu?

No.

Or it's possible to use a flex atx(150mm) like Velka 3, a mini itx gpu and a 92/120mm radiator? Basically reducing height from Sfx to Flex for the 92mm radiator

It should be possible with a Flex ATX PSU and I am going to work on this later.

Hey guys,

can anyone recommend me a good pair of 2 80mm fans for Velka 3 case please? There's one video on YT that recommends this one:

Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2500 RPM

But this one isn't available in my area... Are there any other fans that I could consider using that are silent and efficient? I'm looking for the best of best...

Edit: I found 2 of these on ebay... Are these the best for velka 3 case? :D

Please note that the fan compatibility for this case is 80 * 10 mm , so the Noiseblocker 80 * 10 mm fans will not fit. I sell compatible PWM fans but they were probably out of stock and not listed on the order form when you came across it. They cost 21.98 USD each with international shipping (43.96 USD for two) and you can read about them in the top post now.

You can get 80 * 10 mm on Aliexpress to save money, but they will have a lower maximum speed, 2 or 3 pin connection instead of a 4 pin, and a less durable bearing. All of the 80 * 10 mm fans you will come across (including mine) have the same fan blade design and only vary in the bearing, power connection, minimum and maximum speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sid21177 and Raxe

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Both are good suggestions. It is too late in the process to implement these changes. Next time, #1 can be implemented for a small ease of use improvement and #2 can be done if adding holes does not make that rear strip of metal too fragile. Rev 1.1 is mostly meant to deliver the same rev 1.0 case as before with some small improvements to the build quality (more details on that soon), so no significant structural changes have been made. There will be a honeycomb pattern spanning the bottom of the case for weight reduction, making it possible to include for free a 1) metal cover the large rear opening and 2) rear HDPLEX plate. I have yet to personally test how well these two parts work; they should be considered experimental features for the time being.

Would be awesome to see them in rev 1.2

I was down at my local parts store and I saw there are a few 10mm options in 70/60/40mm - can we add mounting points for at least 1 such class of fan - centered in relation to the 80mm points

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would be awesome to see them in rev 1.2

I was down at my local parts store and I saw there are a few 10mm options in 70/60/40mm - can we add mounting points for at least 1 such class of fan - centered in relation to the 80mm points

Do you remember which models you saw there? I would like to find out the price and whether they are 2, 3 or 4 pin fans.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Do you remember which models you saw there? I would like to find out the price and whether they are 2, 3 or 4 pin fans.

Evercool was one brand - frys electronics is the store
I know noctua has a 40mm PWM fan

Long term I would hope to see the VK5 bar+bracket system/variant incorporated into VK3 ?

Last edited:

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
@VELKASE Michael

thank you for the suggestions ^_^ ... Any news regarding restocking the velkase 3 ? :D Can't wait to buy one yay!

Edit: Michael, are the fan dimensions that can fit Velka 3: 80mm x 80mm x 10mm ?

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Evercool was one brand - frys electronics is the store
I know noctua has a 40mm PWM fan

Long term I would hope to see the VK5 bar+bracket system/variant incorporated into VK3 ?

I will think about this. Sacrificing large ventilation holes for small mounting holes trades a little bit of performance for hardware compatibility. 70 mm fans will probably cost about the same as 80 mm fans, so I do not see a reason at this time to support them. If there is something useful that can fit at the top of the case alongside 40, 50, or 60 mm fans, then adding support for them might be beneficial.

The bar and bracket system and the VK5 needed to be changed to this two-piece flat bar and angled bar system with slots. The previous implementation did not work well in the prototype. Having a simplified version with two flat bars may be useful in a future VK-3 revision for mounting a 3.5" drive specifically, but there is no way that it will be possible to include it for free due to the added weight

@VELKASE Michael

thank you for the suggestions ^_^ ... Any news regarding restocking the velkase 3 ? :D Can't wait to buy one yay!

Edit: Michael, are the fan dimensions that can fit Velka 3: 80mm x 80mm x 10mm ?

No news yet. Expected availability is still early August.

80mm x 80mm x 10mm fan dimensions are correct.

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
I will think about this. Sacrificing large ventilation holes for small mounting holes trades a little bit of performance for hardware compatibility. 70 mm fans will probably cost about the same as 80 mm fans, so I do not see a reason at this time to support them. If there is something useful that can fit at the top of the case alongside 40, 50, or 60 mm fans, then adding support for them might be beneficial.

The bar and bracket system and the VK5 needed to be changed to this two-piece flat bar and angled bar system with slots. The previous implementation did not work well in the prototype. Having a simplified version with two flat bars may be useful in a future VK-3 revision for mounting a 3.5" drive specifically, but there is no way that it will be possible to include it for free due to the added weight

No news yet. Expected availability is still early August.

80mm x 80mm x 10mm fan dimensions are correct.
Great thanks a bunch! Could you also confirm to me that Velka 3 case (4L one that I will purchase) can fit GPU that is up dual slot) and with length up to 18.3 cm (183mm) ?

Thanks!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Great thanks a bunch! Could you also confirm to me that Velka 3 case (4L one that I will purchase) can fit GPU that is up dual slot) and with length up to 18.3 cm (183mm) ?

Thanks!
Yes, you will just need to slide the back panel to make the case about 3.9 - 4.0 L instead of 3.7 L.

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
I was all set on a dan case build with a 3900x and a 2080 (or similar) until I happened upon this thread again. 5ish liters sounds pretty great though if the case can do a decent job of cooling the cpu without throttling. I bought a 650w evga sfx psu and have a 1070 mini from a previous build that I was going to transition over into the smaller case so might just pick up the amd and an itx mobo, @VELKASE Michael I don't suppose you've gotten your hands on any of these cpu's to see what they'd be like in the 5? I take it the 3 with something this hot and a 2070 super instead would be a pipedream?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I was all set on a dan case build with a 3900x and a 2080 (or similar) until I happened upon this thread again. 5ish liters sounds pretty great though if the case can do a decent job of cooling the cpu without throttling. I bought a 650w evga sfx psu and have a 1070 mini from a previous build that I was going to transition over into the smaller case so might just pick up the amd and an itx mobo, @VELKASE Michael I don't suppose you've gotten your hands on any of these cpu's to see what they'd be like in the 5? I take it the 3 with something this hot and a 2070 super instead would be a pipedream?

I think I will pick up a 3900X after it becomes readily available at retailers. That may be a month or two away.

If the 3900X runs at about the same temperature under load as the 2700X, it will be possible to cool it with an L9a and two of the VF-8010-PWM case fans at high speed. The VK-3 case itself does not have a great negative impact on cooling, so if someone makes an ITX size 2070 super that can cool itself in a typical ITX case, it will work here too.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I will think about this. Sacrificing large ventilation holes for small mounting holes trades a little bit of performance for hardware compatibility.

You only need to reduce the size of 4 holes (1 alternate size 40mm?? should be sufficient) :) - but I do agree the vent pattern will have to be rejigged

Having a simplified version with two flat bars may be useful in a future VK-3 revision for mounting a 3.5" drive specifically, but there is no way that it will be possible to include it for free due to the added weight

That would be fair - most cases offer such stuff as accessories. Maybe these bars can be made dimensionally same between VK3 & VK5

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
If the 3900X runs at about the same temperature under load as the 2700X, it will be possible to cool it with an L9a and two of the VF-8010-PWM case fans at high speed. The VK-3 case itself does not have a great negative impact on cooling, so if someone makes an ITX size 2070 super that can cool itself in a typical ITX case, it will work here too.

Oh cool! So I'd have to get a different psu to fit the vk-3 pending a 2070 mini that'd fit, the only downside might be that the fan noise might be a bit louder due to higher speeds than I'd need to use in a vk-5?

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
Anyone with a velka-3 build, what's it like in terms of noise?

I'm getting one soon and I will post my experiences here. My idea is that for example even thoguh I got an i5 8500, I will delid it and apply thermal grizzly conductonaut on the die + kryonaut on top oh the IHS - paired with Noctua NH-L9i. On the gpu side I will apply conductonaut + undervolt it and overclock as much as possible on lowest voltage.

I think it's gonna be veeery quiet!

Reactions: joconnell