Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Wire mesh would be good for ventilation, but how durable/simple will it be to secure ??

I was thinking a simple rectangular plate with vertical or horizontal slats for airflow, aligned with the 4 holes in either pattern

The wire mesh would be tricky to keep in place without extra parts. What do you think of plastic 3D prints? Keeping metal parts in stock at low quantities would not really make sense, but can be done in the future.

Reactions: sid21177

TheDrifter363

Efficiency Noob
Sep 26, 2018
Hi Michael,

I'm assuming that's your name. My apologies if it's not. I was wondering if it'd be possible to get some sort of cutout for a DC DC PSU like the HDPlex or G Unique. I have the G Unique and don't currently have plans to go for a Flex Atx PSU. Just an idea that I was wondering about. Thanks for helping me out if possible!

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Hi Michael,

I'm assuming that's your name. My apologies if it's not. I was wondering if it'd be possible to get some sort of cutout for a DC DC PSU like the HDPlex or G Unique. I have the G Unique and don't currently have plans to go for a Flex Atx PSU. Just an idea that I was wondering about. Thanks for helping me out if possible!
You can buy adapter plates for flex-atx mounting from several sources, taobao should have some other options as well if thus GEEEK one doesn't work

Reactions: Weredawg

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi Michael,

There will be an add-on adapter from Flex ATX to common DC-ATX power supplies available some time, just not immediately at launch.

My name is Michael; you were correct :)

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
The wire mesh would be tricky to keep in place without extra parts. What do you think of plastic 3D prints? Keeping metal parts in stock at low quantities would not really make sense, but can be done in the future.

Plastic works fine as long as it is durable/won't warp due to the heat generated in the case

TheDrifter363

Efficiency Noob
Sep 26, 2018
There will be an add-on adapter from Flex ATX to common DC-ATX power supplies available some time, just not immediately at launch.

My name is Michael; you were correct :)

Awesome! Thanks Michael! :D I'll make sure to keep a look out for your adapter. I don't know if you'll have holes for the XT90 or 8 pin Molex connector that Gury likes to use. There's such a wide variety of connectors, I don't know how you'll fit all of them on your case.

You can buy adapter plates for flex-atx mounting from several sources, taobao should have some other options as well if thus GEEEK one doesn't work

I remember checking out the GEEEK one, but it didn't have holes for Gury's G-Unique PSU. I think I have the XT90 connector? Also I have an adapter for the 8 pin Molex connector, I think. But it's good to know taobao has one. I was thinking of getting like a Dremel, or other rotary tool, and cutting away at the existing holes and widening it for my PSU connector. No idea if that'd work though. Plus I'm kind of nervous about using a rotary tool.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Speaking of Geeek, will their Custom FlexATX PSU with the modular connections fit in the Velka 3?

Maybe. The maximum internal clearance in this case is 183 mm, and that power supply will take up 170 mm without cables. Do you know of any cases not made by Geeek that are compatible with those power supplies?

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Maybe. The maximum internal clearance in this case is 183 mm, and that power supply will take up 170 mm without cables. Do you know of any cases not made by Geeek that are compatible with those power supplies?

Hm, sounds like it wouldn't fit then. I don't know the length of the power connectors when they're plugged in. Is 13mm enough for the connectors and cables? It would be great for cutting down on cable clutter if you could use that PSU though.

I don't, I actually can't even think of a case that uses FlexATX. I know one guy has used the Geeek FlexATX in the A4-SFX and it fits there vertically.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Hm, sounds like it wouldn't fit then. I don't know the length of the power connectors when they're plugged in. Is 13mm enough for the connectors and cables? It would be great for cutting down on cable clutter if you could use that PSU though.

I don't, I actually can't even think of a case that uses FlexATX. I know one guy has used the Geeek FlexATX in the A4-SFX and it fits there vertically.

There's another which is modular - and the connectors point upwards - I forget the brand

orella

Cable Smoosher
May 15, 2019
Hi @VELKASE Michael Amazing cases! Good Job!

I have 2 questions about the vk-3:
- I'm planning to use the gigabyte 2070 itx (dual slot, 42.1mm height). If I use the noctua NH-L9a but changing the fan for the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWN (1mm higher), will it fit?
- You know the cost of shipping the case to Spain?

Thanks!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi @VELKASE Michael Amazing cases! Good Job!

I have 2 questions about the vk-3:
- I'm planning to use the gigabyte 2070 itx (dual slot, 42.1mm height). If I use the noctua NH-L9a but changing the fan for the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWN (1mm higher), will it fit?
- You know the cost of shipping the case to Spain?

Thanks!

Have you already tested this fan with your motherboard? Depending on the shape of the IO, it may sit higher above the NH-L9 heatsink and take up more than 1 mm extra space. If you know that it will only be 1 mm taller, it should work fine in the VK3.

30 USD to ship to Spain.

orella

Cable Smoosher
May 15, 2019
Have you already tested this fan with your motherboard? Depending on the shape of the IO, it may sit higher above the NH-L9 heatsink and take up more than 1 mm extra space. If you know that it will only be 1 mm taller, it should work fine in the VK3.

30 USD to ship to Spain.
I haven't tested because I don't have those components. I'm planning to buy them. That's why I was asking.
If 1mm more is ok, what's the max extra height for the fan that I can use?

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
For the Velka 3, the top vents not being uniformly milled with circles and the bottom being 2 halfs screwed next to each other instead of a single unibody shell is bothering me a lot. Any chance those improvements can offered with slight price hikes?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I haven't tested because I don't have those components. I'm planning to buy them. That's why I was asking.
If 1mm more is ok, what's the max extra height for the fan that I can use?

The clearance is exactly 37.6 mm, which is the tallest CPU cooler that can fit without interfering with the side panel. Any taller than that, and the side panel will need to be either left incompletely screwed into the frame to leave a gap or flex slightly. For 38 mm, this is not a problem because 0.4 mm will be unnoticeable. For every millimeter over 38, you would need to leave a gap equal to the difference and possibly get slightly longer replacement screws. The maximum extra height will depend on the gap distance between the frame and side panel that you can tolerate.

For the Velka 3, the top vents not being uniformly milled with circles and the bottom being 2 halfs screwed next to each other instead of a single unibody shell is bothering me a lot. Any chance those improvements can offered with slight price hikes?

Top vents: I would do this, but it would not make a substantial appearance upgrade without other refinements to complement it. Once the lineup of the current cases is complete with a focus on portability, variants focused on appearance with neat vents, perfect lines, concealed screws, etc. can be made.

Bottom being two halves screwed in next to each other: This feature has been changed. The top, front, and bottom are one piece and side panels are flat.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Also, another thing I've noticed is that almost all itx gpus vent out their hot air via the front and back, which is why similar cases like the M4X and the ZS-A4M both have vents on the front panel. It would be interesting if you could make versions of the Velka 3 with both vented and unvented front panels, and see what the temperature improvement would be and whether it'd be worth the cosmetic hit.