Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I just noticed in the pictures near the edges of the side panels the material is frayed, see picture 13.jpg on the left hand side. Is the material in that picture the steel mesh? - is there a frame around the mesh or is it just the cut edges? Will all cases have the frayed edges visible or was that just the prototype? Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
That is a picture of a prototype, and that is the steel mesh. It does not have a frame. Quality of the edges has since improved so shipped units shouldn't have frayed edges, but they are still bare.

This may not be best response, but also the reason why the left edge stands out so much in that photo is because it hangs off into the contrasting background. If the mesh were positioned properly, it would only be as visible as it is on the other 3 sides in that photo.

Reactions: Day VReamer

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
To increase exposure, a listing has been made on eBay for US buyers. The case ships with only one extension kit when bought there, and the price is increased from $115 to $135.

For those who buy using the order form, the price is unchanged.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
First of all, I love the simple industrial design work here. Kudos! But there is one thing I don't really get, will the mesh cover the extended parts as well? Apologies if you mentioned that, but I couldn't find any info.

Thanks!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
First of all, I love the simple industrial design work here. Kudos! But there is one thing I don't really get, will the mesh cover the extended parts as well? Apologies if you mentioned that, but I couldn't find any info.

Thanks!

It may cover the intakes if positioned properly while using only one set of extensions and having 191 mm graphics card clearance, but not if using any more extensions.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
As of November 2018, you can get aluminum side panels only by ordering a fully custom case. If you decide to go for this option, note that you can increase graphics card clearance, increase CPU cooler clearance, and have a custom ventilation pattern. You can message me for a price estimate.

Just a few questions:

For a custom case:
  • What side panel vent options would we be able to get with aluminum side panels?
  • Is it possible to get a case without screws or screw holes on the front panel for a cleaner look?
  • If the case was lengthened enough is it possible to add an additional fan mount?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Just a few questions:

For a custom case:
  • What side panel vent options would we be able to get with aluminum side panels?
  • Is it possible to get a case without screws or screw holes on the front panel for a cleaner look?
  • If the case was lengthened enough is it possible to add an additional fan mount?

-Vents can be anything at all.
-Yes, if the internal layout is changed. This would require the overall case size to increase slightly.
-Yes.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The post has just been updated to include information about a new case planned for release, Velka 3.

It will exist alongside Velka M and sacrifice the ability to expand for a smaller size of 3.5 L - 3.6 L. Please keep in mind that it will still fit 80 mm fans, a Flex ATX PSU, and dual slot graphics cards, making it much more space efficient than any other competing cases.

Reactions: comagoosie

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
I love what you're doing! The Velka M is on a shortlist for me to try and I can't wait to hear more about the APU build you have planned.

I'm wary of how built-in custom fans for the Velka 3 will turn out. Is the plan for them to be optional or swappable? I think it'll be great experiment to have custom fans, but the fan market (imo) seems like it would be tough to beat! Not to mention, 56 CFM at 3800 RPM sounds loud XD

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The fans will not be optional but they will be removable. One thing that I didn't mention about these fans is that they will be 80 x 10 mm and have ball bearings. All other existing 80 x 10 mm fans use sleeve bearings.

I could give them a speed limit below 3800 RPM, but there is really no point in doing that when you have PWM control.

Reactions: comagoosie

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
With the release of Velka 3, optional steel sheet side panels for both cases may become available for pre-order. For some reason that I will never understand, a lot of people really want sheet metal side panels instead of mesh side panels.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
With the release of Velka 3, optional steel sheet side panels for both cases may become available for pre-order. For some reason that I will never understand, a lot of people really want sheet metal side panels instead of mesh side panels.
It's the A E S T H E T I C my dude. Personally I'm having loads of fun with my side panels, annealed steel + hardwood is looking like the best route.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
I like the concept of this case, but without side panels it looks more like a frame than a full case :) I like the small complexity of the design to reach the goal. It is always a challenge.

What I do not like is the way you keep your GPU in its place. Even if you have this "lock" on the back of the case, I think while transporting your GPU will still be moving in the fan axis and may damage pci-e socket. You can consider fastening gpu at the back of your case in the future. Also flex PSU is a drawback in terms of silence if you advertise your case as a 4K consoles competition (but I understand the small volume needs sacrifices).

We are currently updating the design of our own case and I have to ask: Why the price of your "Velka" case is so high?

You have like:
- 3 elements,
- 10 bendings,
- 35 laser holes,
- 10 threaded bushing/threaded holes.
If I am right, you sell this case without pci-e riser (option +$40) and without side panels, and you do not have welding points, punched holes, rivets, plastic feet, rubber plugs, etc. There is also no need for additional cables like internal PSU cable, USB cable, etc. Why without all those things your case is still so expensive? Is it a small, sub-50 pcs manufacturing batch?

I'm asking, because for the last 2 years everything in the machining industry became way more expensive (inflation, dollar fluctuation, costs of work in EU, etc.), and we work very hard to keep the price of our case at the same level as it was those 2 years ago, still including all the improvements we made... but when we calculated our case according to the costs of your production, our Sentry final price for customer would be like $500 per unit (with 500+ pcs batch). It's waaay too much for such a niche product and noone would buy it. Brushed aluminium became so expensive at your place or is it just because of small batch costs (I don't know how many of cases you are going to make)?

Thanks for answer.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you for your input.

What I do not like is the way you keep your GPU in its place. Even if you have this "lock" on the back of the case, I think while transporting your GPU will still be moving in the fan axis and may damage pci-e socket. You can consider fastening gpu at the back of your case in the future.

The graphics card is secured internally. It does not move during transport. I am considering adding a mount to the outside as suggested.

Also flex PSU is a drawback in terms of silence if you advertise your case as a 4K consoles competition (but I understand the small volume needs sacrifices).

With the correct power supply choice, it is not a drawback in terms of silence. For example, I am using an FSP Group 500W Gold power supply. The Noctua fan on an NH-L9i/a is more audible than the power supply fan regardless of the fan curve at both idle and load.

Why the price of your "Velka" case is so high?

It is not high.
-PCI-E risers cost as little as 20 USD
-The total cost of this case for a US buyer would be 135 USD. For a European buyer, it would be about 170 USD (150 EUR) after import fees. That is still less than comparable cases.
-The fact that there are no welding points, punched holes, rivets, plastic feet, rubber plugs, etc means little. The demand for a product, not its cost to manufacture, largely determines its price. The product's manufacturability determines whether it is viable to produce and sell such a product at the price that people are willing to pay. Over-engineering a design by welding, making unnecessary components, etc cannot be used to justify a higher price.
-The mesh replaces the side panels. Just because it doesn't have sheet metal on each side doesn't mean that the components inside are not protected. It actually feels fairly solid when attached to the case. When you use this case, the fact that the side panels are mesh is not something to cross your mind because the case looks like a plain black box (unless if it is right in front of your face for some reason). Either way, I might introduce sheet metal side panels soon for those who want them.

but when we calculated our case according to the costs of your production, our Sentry final price for customer would be like $500 per unit (with 500+ pcs batch).
First, you do not the know my production costs. Second, this is already the least expensive case that uses brushed and anodized aluminum of a decent thickness. My batch size is much smaller than 50 units. If you would like, I can head over to your case discussion and ask some thought-provoking questions. For example, why is a case produced in the hundreds priced as high as it is, at the same time forcing any buyers to wait an undetermined amount of time for availability?

I cannot believe the amount of negativity this design has received about its price. All of other design elements, yes, please go ahead and criticize them so that they can be improved. But criticizing the price? Why choose this case to criticize and not the $200+ cases that use the same or cheaper materials and have been made in the thousands? And no, the mesh was not a cost-cutting decision. Not to point fingers, but NFC, if I recall correctly, sells power buttons for $25 that can be bought for $5-15 elsewhere and no one seems to be complaining about that. They are not doing anything wrong because the demand determines how a product is priced. However, when there are so many examples of high profit margins in this market, for some reason my design is being criticized for its price despite the fact that it is less expensive than any comparable offerings and the fact that I am literally NOT MAKING MONEY OFF OF THIS.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I'm kind of surprised there's negativity on the price. You can get a similar setup on Taobao, but the velka M pretty price competitive with the various Chinese options, with a nice fit & finish. It's also made in the USA, meaning that you'll get it faster and support a somewhat local business (if that's your jam)

Reactions: InfernoZeus

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
It's funny since no one is forcing anyone to buy case x, y, z. The case builder wants to sell cases, while valuing his own time and sets a price. If it's too high, no one will buy. If no one buys, then the builder will need to reassess. If people buy, then awesome! I agree, there doesn't really need to be a discussion on price. The discussion is automatically held when there are or aren't any buyers.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
It's funny since no one is forcing anyone to buy case x, y, z. The case builder wants to sell cases, while valuing his own time and sets a price. If it's too high, no one will buy. If no one buys, then the builder will need to reassess. If people buy, then awesome! I agree, there doesn't really need to be a discussion on price. The discussion is automatically held when there are or aren't any buyers.

If you think this is funny, you should come see the degenerate comments people make on my Reddit posts. They will leave your stomach hurting from laughter. Many call this case nothing more than a "folded piece of metal".

With that being said, Velka M will probably be my first and last case to be sold publicly. It's too cheap to appeal to people who would rather have a pretty metal and glass hotbox for a computer case and too expensive for those who don't see the benefit of something like this over a cardboard box.