Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
I was originally thinking of

I can see the advantage of offering compatibility for larger coolers in terms of adaptability, but the problem is that some people would still choose the short Noctua NH-L9i/a due to the better noise profile. The Cryorig H7 is kind of a side grade in that sense.

But there is a new alternative that's better cooling than the Cyorig C7 and with a much better fan profile at 47mm...the Alpenfohn Black Ridge

rifter

Caliper Novice
Oct 26, 2017

There is another one that was highlighted by KSliger awhile back: https://www.dynatron.co/product-page/l6-1
The radiator dimensions are 106.30 x 70.0 x 42.0mm (probably, since I think it is using https://www.dynatron.co/product-page/ra70 )
But there is a new alternative that's better cooling than the Cyorig C7 and with a much better fan profile at 47mm...the Alpenfohn Black Ridge

If it fits on your motherboard....

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
It fits on most motherboards to my knowledge...
All MSI and Asrock AM4 boards have compatibility issues with the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. This is very unfortunate, since the MSI boards are regarded as having the best VRMs and the Asrock boards have great features for the price.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
All MSI and Asrock AM4 boards have compatibility issues with the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. This is very unfortunate, since the MSI boards are regarded as having the best VRMs and the Asrock boards have great features for the price.
I think the high end asrock boards have the best VRM, no?

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
What if side panels are replaced by a U shaped aluminum shell, sold as an add-on item for those who want it to look prettier? One that is perhaps made from 5-6 mm Aluminum plate? Doing so would keep the case at its core purely functional and compact for those who want it for those qualities.

The volume of the case would be increased to 5.25 liters from 3.6 liters, but the shell gives it a nice look (at least in my opinion).
Vert nice look, and you keep complexity down

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

Unfortunately it is not available in the United States, which is the largest market for these cases.

One other thing that I can do is make it possible to use taller CPU coolers up to 53 mm if using only a CPU/ APU in the case, without increasing its size. If the optional shell is implemented and used, then it will also be possible to use taller coolers up to 50 mm with some space left between them and the aluminum plate.

Last edited:

Bjornyyy

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2017
Could you show a panel with the rectangles turned 90 degrees so the rectangles are vertical instead of horizontal?

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Kind of off-topic but I actually liked the functionality of the mesh side panels, my concern with this case was that without proper side panels it could be easily damaged in transit, and regular transit is the main reason I went SFF in the first place.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
100 responses have been collected and 62% of respondents chose the honeycomb pattern as one of their top two from the six available choices. Rectangles and staggered circles were next at 31% and 29%, respectively.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Kind of off-topic but I actually liked the functionality of the mesh side panels, my concern with this case was that without proper side panels it could be easily damaged in transit, and regular transit is the main reason I went SFF in the first place.

Thicker panels will most likely be made interchangeable with the mesh if people are content with the current magnetic mount, so the mesh probably won't go away.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Just for fun: here is a 3D model for a case with a redesigned structure and "windowed" panels that can go over the mesh. The goal was to make it as inoffensive looking as possible without reducing acoustic efficiency. In real life, the mesh would look more transparent.

This would achieve the idea Damascus had without glue; just mesh mounted magnetically as in the Velka M with a side panel over it. The tradeoff this would make is increased manufacturing costs with no airflow sacrifice for the CPU and GPU but a large sacrifice in airflow for the PSU.

There would have to be ~2.5 mm gaps between the case body and side panels that can be seen in the render and the panels would be held down by 3 countersunk screws on the sides and 1 on top. There can still be exhaust fans and you can see their honeycomb grill in the reflection on the bottom of the render. M.2 only for storage.

This case would be 3.6 L in volume with just mesh in non-extended form. It could be extended by up to 12 mm to increase GPU clearance from 172 mm to 184 mm, and the side panels can be added onto the mesh. It would be larger than 3.6 L when extended and used with panels, of course.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I like it, that render is looking great! In regards to the PSU situation, one possible solution would be to add ~10mm of clearance under the motherboard, pulling the top of the psu casing off and using two 80x10mm fans. This would help both the total system performance and largely eliminate the noise concern raised when using flex-atx psus.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm going to resume working on Velka 3. It may be necessary to take pre-orders for it. It will basically be the same as the Velka M, but $100 more expensive, more space efficient, have fans, riser, and optional aluminum side panels included, have more available colors, and be made in a smaller batch size.

I've also run the numbers and if the concept works out, it will be possible to make two more derivatives, Velka 5 and 6.
5 can be the same as 3 but support SFX PSUs and 3.5"/2.5" drives at 5.2 L in size. 6 can be the same as 3 but support SFX PSUs, 3.5"/2.5" drives, CPU cooler up to 56 mm, and graphics card up to 297 mm, 6.2 L in size. How competitive would that be in terms of specs to existing cases?

Reactions: comagoosie

SocketKing

Efficiency Noob
Jan 3, 2019
I have been interested in laptop gaming for a while due to portability and this the first mini-itx case I decided to get (just recently ordered). Haven't got it yet but if mesh yields a temp benefit and being lighter I would prefer that much more over a more desirable/trendy side panel. My only concern is if the magnetic mounts are secure during transport. If the mesh is soldered to a thin aluminum frame(also makes edges more finished looking and makes mesh rigid) then screw mount it to case, is this similar idea to the window panels mentioned above? If the frame border has the same thickness as current case border it wont limit PSU airflow either right? The previous pic is no longer available so I can't see.