Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Maybe try a mesh "window" with an aluminum border? Thermal performance will remain strong and you gain a much more trim look to the panels. (Similar to the ncase m1 glass window)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Maybe try a mesh "window" with an aluminum border? Thermal performance will remain strong and you gain a much more trim look to the panels. (Similar to the ncase m1 glass window)

It's a good idea but I'm not sure if there is any effective way to implement that.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'd look at how the old glass windows were made, cut a hole in the side panel and then fasten the mesh behind it using glue or metal tabs.

Metal tabs of the right size may be difficult to manufacture, but glue might do the trick. Interesting idea.

If this project can be continued (will have to see after reviews are up), then either mesh bonded to panels or having two different types of compatible panels may be the solution.

To keep the price reasonable, it may be necessary to have powder-coated steel panels that attach magnetically instead of aluminum panels. Otherwise, it would involve more countersunk holes, self clinching inserts, and screws.

Last edited:

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Metal tabs of the right size may be difficult to manufacture, but glue might do the trick. Interesting idea.

Another idea could be to thicken the side panel a little bit and have rails cut on the back of the panel for the mesh to slide in from the top.

Personally I'm a fan of a metal mesh. But it would be good if the mesh could be more securly and cleanly attached.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Another idea could be to thicken the side panel a little bit and have rails cut on the back of the panel for the mesh to slide in from the top.

Personally I'm a fan of a metal mesh. But it would be good if the mesh could be more securly and cleanly attached.

Do you mean making a cutout in the middle of a sheet? That sounds like something that can only be made by casting but I may be misunderstanding.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I have a design that keeps a little bit of expandability to accommodate for graphics cards slightly longer than true ITX size, around 183 mm. This design would make it possible to use the plain mesh featured in Velka M interchangeably with side panels if they are steel and mounted onto the same magnetic strips. There may be gaps around 1.5 mm in size in the front between the front panel and the side panels in some places.

The case would also be a bit smaller at 3.7 liters if using mesh and 3.8 liters if using panels compared to the current 4.0 liters. This leaves CPU cooler clearance at 38 mm, enough for a Noctua NH-L9 i/a. It could be bumped up 9 mm to support the Cryorig C7, making the case volume 4.1 liters with mesh and 4.2 liters with panels, but I'm not sure if that's worth the 10% volume difference. Or a Noctua NH-D15 at 8.7 liters (lol).

The 4 screws on the front panel will be moved to one of the side panels and be flush with the surface, so that should be a cleaner look. The case could still be flipped over depending on whether the user wants the fan holes (now cut directly in sheet metal) to be on the top or the bottom. When the fans are on the bottom and the one side panel with the screws is on the side farthest away from you, there would only be two screws visible on top.

What do you think of the ventilation pattern? For this design to work, the four slots on the outside of the inner rectangle need to be kept, but the rest of the slots could be changed to a different shape, whatever would look best. In the render they are 7.5 mm wide and 18.4 mm long.

Last edited:

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
I have a design that keeps a little bit of expandability to accommodate for graphics cards slightly longer than true ITX size, around 183 mm. This design would make it possible to use the plain mesh featured in Velka M interchangeably with side panels if they are steel and mounted onto the same magnetic strips. There may be gaps around 1.5 mm in size in the front between the front panel and the side panels in some places.

The case would also be a bit smaller at 3.7 liters if using mesh and 3.8 liters if using panels compared to the current 4.0 liters. This leaves CPU cooler clearance at 38 mm, enough for a Noctua NH-L9 i/a. It could be bumped up 9 mm to support the Cryorig C7, making the case volume 4.1 liters with mesh and 4.2 liters with panels, but I'm not sure if that's worth the 10% volume difference. Or a Noctua NH-D15 at 8.7 liters (lol).

The 4 screws on the front panel will be moved to one of the side panels and be flush with the surface, so that should be a cleaner look. The case could still be flipped over depending on whether the user wants the fan holes (now cut directly in sheet metal) to be on the top or the bottom. When the fans are on the bottom and the one side panel with the screws is on the side farthest away from you, there would only be two screws visible on top.

What do you think of the ventilation pattern? For this design to work, the four slots on the outside of the inner rectangle need to be kept, but the rest of the slots could be changed to a different shape, whatever would look best. In the render they are 7.5 mm wide and 18.4 mm long.

Vent design and pattern looks good! and I don't think anyone else has done anything similar.

It would be worth it to get cpu cooler clearance to 47mm to get the c7 or blackridge coolers on there.

Is there any plans to have 2.5" drive mounts? With the extra 7mm in width for the CPU cooler it looks possible to put 1 or 2 drives on their side beside the PSU (and under the GPU)

Reactions: rifter

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Is there any slim liquid cooling solution that can be implemented with 38 mm of CPU cooler clearance?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Vent design and pattern looks good! and I don't think anyone else has done anything similar.

It would be worth it to get cpu cooler clearance to 47mm to get the c7 or blackridge coolers on there.

Is there any plans to have 2.5" drive mounts? With the extra 7mm in width for the CPU cooler it looks possible to put 1 or 2 drives on their side beside the PSU (and under the GPU)

At the current size, it's possible to fit one 2.5" drive without a mount but keep it firmly in place if using mesh. To do add actual mounts, holes on the outside of the case would have to be added and that will only be possible if the case is made wider. However, I have some concerns for the effect increasing the width would have on structural integrity and manufacturing/ shipping costs.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
You could use a pump/block on the cpu and run it to a 2x80mm radiator on the top of the case (rad sitting externally, Dan's in the stock mounting position)

Would you happen to know what the slimmest 80 mm radiator is, excluding fans?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
What if side panels are replaced by a U shaped aluminum shell, sold as an add-on item for those who want it to look prettier? One that is perhaps made from 5-6 mm Aluminum plate? Doing so would keep the case at its core purely functional and compact for those who want it for those qualities.

The volume of the case would be increased to 5.25 liters from 3.6 liters, but the shell gives it a nice look (at least in my opinion).

Last edited:

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
What if side panels are replaced by a U shaped aluminum shell, sold as an add-on item for those who want it to look prettier? One that is perhaps made from 5-6 mm Aluminum plate? Doing so would keep the case at its core purely functional and compact for those who want it for those qualities.

The volume of the case would be increased to 5.25 liters from 3.6 liters, but the shell gives it a nice look (at least in my opinion).

That looks really nice. Great work! I think mesh could be used to cover the gaps. It would minimise the mesh needed and the mesh can act as a quasi filter to prevent debris from getting in the case.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
At the current size, it's possible to fit one 2.5" drive without a mount but keep it firmly in place if using mesh. To do add actual mounts, holes on the outside of the case would have to be added and that will only be possible if the case is made wider. However, I have some concerns for the effect increasing the width would have on structural integrity and manufacturing/ shipping costs.

Oh, I just noticed you don't have case feet! I was going to suggest recessed screws on the bottom for hard drive mounting...

Your case may be more popular if you allow slightly larger coolers.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

First, I want to say great work. I like your original design and love that you went straight to production behind closed doors.

The full cover wrap does look a bit like this
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ccd-mi-6-microtower-case-performance-in-less-than-7l.1091/
I like the industrial look you had, raised screws and all. I know that will vary based on taste. What about embracing the industrial look and screwing down your screens, to make the appearance of permanent "panels?"

Ultimately, this is your project. You do you! Any input or criticism, take what you will, including mine.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Oh, I just noticed you don't have case feet! I was going to suggest recessed screws on the bottom for hard drive mounting...

Your case may be more popular if you allow slightly larger coolers.

I can see the advantage of offering compatibility for larger coolers in terms of adaptability, but the problem is that some people would still choose the short Noctua NH-L9i/a due to the better noise profile. The Cryorig H7 is kind of a side grade in that sense.

Also the case doesn't have built in feet like you said, but I include a pack of adhesive feet so that the user can place them wherever they want. Because the case is intended for use either upright or upside down, making mounts on both sides wouldn't look very appealing. I'll still try to add hard drive mounts if there is space anywhere.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
First, I want to say great work. I like your original design and love that you went straight to production behind closed doors.

The full cover wrap does look a bit like this
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ccd-mi-6-microtower-case-performance-in-less-than-7l.1091/
I like the industrial look you had, raised screws and all. I know that will vary based on taste. What about embracing the industrial look and screwing down your screens, to make the appearance of permanent "panels?"

Ultimately, this is your project. You do you! Any input or criticism, take what you will, including mine.

Because the wire mesh is flexible, it would need many screws spaced a small distance apart to be held down properly. If this weren't the case, screwing it down would have been a very viable solution. For this type of mesh, the magnetic strips hold it down better and also allow for super quick and easy maintenance (no need to get a screwdriver out).

Yes, the cover would have approximately the same shape. It wouldn't have any vent holes or IO ports, but a ~15 mm gap on each side of the main body.