Using the slim HP EliteOne PSU for other systems

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I believe these are the same sort of PSUs that @guryhwa is using for bundles with his G-Unique PSUs and modifying them. I already have a DC-DC board, though so I'm curious about just getting the HP PSU and putting it in a custom brick-less build. What really interests me is its slim form factor of less than 30mm in height, even slimmer than Flex-ATX.

The PSUs are sold on Ebay like this one, and pretty affordable prices. I'm thinking of getting one of the 160W or 180W sort and trying to figure out the DC output.

It should be enough to power a system with a 35W CPU (like my i3 4130T) and a GTX1060 for decent gaming at 1080p. That's the system I have right now and it's running with a HD-PLEX adapter and a Dell 150W power supply. I've thrown a lot into it and it runs well, from games to benchmarks and even some GPU mining!

The connector looks almost like a regular 6 pin PEG connector but if you look closely at the pictures there is one green wire. I wonder if that also serves as a power-on signal like the green wire in ATX power supplies. I'll have to buy one to poke around with it, and if I want to get ahead quickly, I need new batteries for my multimeter too XD But I'm just curious if anyone else knows about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yep, for screws, but I don't know what kind of screws they are though. You'll have to ask @guryhwa or maybe post on his G-Unique thread for help.

I bought one of those 160W PSUs and look forward to seeing how I can get it to work with my system. Possibly will go into some detail also for the custom case I'll plan to make.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I got my PSU in the mail :) it's almost like the one used for the G-Unique plug-in units, minus the modding for 300W power. The connector is a 6 pin mini fit connector, in other words the same ones used for graphics cards. There are three ground wires, two 12V wires and one green wire that I suspect to be the PS_ON signal. It's very similar in size to my 150W Dell power brick.

Because my HD-PLEX is not the right voltage, I have this cheap Pico-style plugin board that I want to test it on.

It supports up to 160W peak but 120W normal usage. Sooooo I will probably need to distribute the power from the AC-DC PSU to split the GPU power apart from the plugin board.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I got my PSU in the mail :) it's almost like the one used for the G-Unique plug-in units, minus the modding for 300W power. The connector is a 6 pin mini fit connector, in other words the same ones used for graphics cards. There are three ground wires, two 12V wires and one green wire that I suspect to be the PS_ON signal. It's very similar in size to my 150W Dell power brick.

CC Ricers, you're confusing me.

why do you need to use 2 different PSUs, & how exactly do you plan to do that ??

are you saying that one PSU will power your video card, while the other will power everything else ??

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It should be explained further with pictures that I'll post as I work on it eventually. But yes, essentially I require two separate parts to make it work.

But it seems like you're mostly new to the world of DC power supplies, and many of us here are using unique power setups that require several different parts. Here's an introduction to how it works. Hopefully some other people are following this- there are others with more experience than me who are messing around with power supplies like @Thehack and @aquelito.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Hi @CC Ricers, how did the HP 160W slim PSU work out for you?

I'm looking at one to possibly power my DeskMini A300 + GTX 1050Ti combo, if it has enough grunt

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Hi @CC Ricers, how did the HP 160W slim PSU work out for you?

I'm looking at one to possibly power my DeskMini A300 + GTX 1050Ti combo, if it has enough grunt
@REVOCCASES has used the HP AIO power supplies before, might be able to help.

1050Ti is officially 120W, no? So that doesn't leave a lot for the APU + board + accessories, I'd be more inclined to get a more powerful AC/DC brick myself. (E.g. Chicony have a 200W brick, though it is huge to be fair).

If it's a 75W 1050Ti, then you should be laughing.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks @SFFMunkee, I should have said that it's a 75W 1050 Ti with no 6 pin power connector.
If it had been the 120W one, I'd not have considered that psu, as you said it'd be too underpowered.

Reactions: SFFMunkee