Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
This is a very interesting case, will there be enough space to have water cooling fittings for the GPU?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
This is a very interesting case, will there be enough space to have water cooling fittings for the GPU?
I think with low profile fittings you should be able to do it. Once I get it in hand, I'll post the clearances for you.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
I was going to suggest adding support for a 280mm AIO... But realised it would need 25mm thick fans and the change would make the case at least 11.8L just to accommodate a 280mm rad plus 25mm fans! Huge difference in size!

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I was going to suggest adding support for a 280mm AIO... But realised it would need 25mm thick fans and the change would make the case at least 11.8L just to accommodate a 280mm rad plus 25mm fans! Huge difference in size!
Ye that would kind of defeat the purpose of what i want to achieve here... Though i am targeting that for another project hopefully.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Ye that would kind of defeat the purpose of what i want to achieve here... Though i am targeting that for another project hopefully.
Question based off the renders - how to the side panels secure at the front? I can see they have push pins at the back but there's just a recess at the front, do they slide on like a Ghost panel or something else?

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017

Yeah I think it would be pretty awesome to get a small compact case that can do a 280mm radiator. But it seems difficult.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Question based off the renders - how to the side panels secure at the front? I can see they have push pins at the back but there's just a recess at the front, do they slide on like a Ghost panel or something else?
Basically the side panels have tabs that extend outwards... Those slot into a rectangular cutout in the front side (if you can reference the picture with the front panel off) .... So it sort of creates a door like hinge if that makes sense?

Reactions: Tazpr

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Basically the side panels have tabs that extend outwards... Those slot into a rectangular cutout in the front side (if you can reference the picture with the front panel off) .... So it sort of creates a door like hinge if that makes sense?
Yep cool, that's what I had in my head but wanted to be sure!

If you were looking to fund the project - how many cases do you need reserved to enable you to get a batch produced?
I'm assuming there's a minimum quantity for it to be financially viable?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Yep cool, that's what I had in my head but wanted to be sure!

If you were looking to fund the project - how many cases do you need reserved to enable you to get a batch produced?
I'm assuming there's a minimum quantity for it to be financially viable?
Ye, would need around 500 units as a moq..
the support from all of you would be appreciated to make it a reality.

Reactions: Kordron and Tazpr

oliveoil

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2019
Ye, would need around 500 units as a moq..
the support from all of you would be appreciated to make it a reality.

Given the huge success and shortage of T1s and that this is in the same category, I think that should be achievable. Especially if you can send a unit to optimum tech for review, that should get the word out.
Do you have an estimate of pricing?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
very interesting design, although dual slot GPU is a deal-killer for me. not your fault at all, it's just custom AIB cards are bigger than ever. best of luck!

Reactions: Daemos

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
That's the other concern...even if you can air cool the CPU...the next gen GPUs may need 3 slots to be cooled adequately
yeah, and watercooling GPU is not as trivial as the CPU, for example removing the cooler from the GPU voids all warranty where I live. BUT if people are strictly buying reference design then this case is of pretty great size actually, plus greater clearance in the AIO/radiator chamber than the T1 for more compatibility/easier installation.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Given the huge success and shortage of T1s and that this is in the same category, I think that should be achievable. Especially if you can send a unit to optimum tech for review, that should get the word out.
Do you have an estimate of pricing?
I wont be able to price anything yet, as I need to get the first sample out first, then i should have a better idea of what's feasible.

That's the other concern...even if you can air cool the CPU...the next gen GPUs may need 3 slots to be cooled adequately
Unfortunately I can't really predict the upcoming cards, but from the new Nvidia leaks with the weird fan placement they have, i feel i have enough space in the front of the case between the GPU and PSU for it.. Also, wasn't it dual slot design? But you might be right.

yeah, and watercooling GPU is not as trivial as the CPU, for example removing the cooler from the GPU voids all warranty where I live. BUT if people are strictly buying reference design then this case is of pretty great size actually, plus greater clearance in the AIO/radiator chamber than the T1 for more compatibility/easier installation.
That's the idea... Most AIOs out there are 30mm thickness or less, the popular ones at least... I am looking at the possibility of having just the right amount of clearances for standard fittings on the GPU side without increasing the volume, though it will be tricky... Again, it comes down to having it made and physically testing it... But you are correct, the main design for this case was around reference/dual slot GPUs and AIO for the CPU, since i feel like most sff case suffer on the CPU side of cooling more.... And creating a negative air pressure by exhausting from the top will also help cool the GPU.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Is it 61mm from CPU die surface to the side panel or is 61mm allowing a few mm of breathing room? Only ask cos BlackRidge with a slim 15mm fan on top is 62mm tall in the event you wanted to put an AIO on the GPU.

Just thinking about additional use cases haha

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Is it 61mm from CPU die surface to the side panel or is 61mm allowing a few mm of breathing room? Only ask cos BlackRidge with a slim 15mm fan on top is 62mm tall in the event you wanted to put an AIO on the GPU.

Just thinking about additional use cases haha
61mm is safe size... But u should have some breathing room, 2mm if my math is right

QuattroSportGmbH

Efficiency Noob
Jan 31, 2020
This case is quite compelling. Persistently, there seems to be one to two elements of boutique SFF cases that make them imperfect (seams / tophat necessity for AIO, space optimized volume but incompatible with mainstream hardware, extremely limited availability).

I’ll also be watching this one, especially as the Dan C4 stalls out, my F4 key now being broken from T1 Friday refreshes, the NR200 being just a bit too large, and Ghost always being “SOON”.

Reactions: Z33 and Lytnin