Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
Yes i will update both here and on the forums once i get the new dark walnut front panel! Read below for instructions to change to 220mm version.

Yes of course you can change to the 220mm version. This might be a little further away in terms of delivery, but I'll have to barter with my manufacturer - And update you about it. If you'll just send me an e-mail to contact@densium.net (with the same e-mail used to place order) I will tag your order and make the necessary arrangements before they are fulfilled. If you'll just let your order be for now, i will update the information regarding this regularly. I will not forget this request, but if you feel anxious about it do not hesitate to send me an e-mail anytime regarding this.
If the smaller version is coming first then I might just be ok with that. I want what ever gets shipped first. I'm impatient. 😊

.... But if the extra wait is only a few weeks.....

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
If the smaller version is coming first then I might just be ok with that. I want what ever gets shipped first. I'm impatient. 😊

.... But if the extra wait is only a few weeks.....
I’ll update the thread, and from what i undertand you’re here regularly, so you’ll find out!

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I think the 220cm extended version is going to keep confuse people if you are not putting it up as a clear order alternative on the website. Will it be available on the website once you get more information from the manufacturer, or is it only available for local "forumers" here? I have no doubt that you'll succeed with the funding if you offer both as clear alternatives, and get it exposed by a reviewer on youtube. Perhaps an additional marketing/assembly video of the case, as well.

Thanks for your dedication to this project. :)

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I think the 220cm extended version is going to keep confuse people if you are not putting it up as a clear order alternative on the website. Will it be available on the website once you get more information from the manufacturer, or is it only available for local "forumers" here? I have no doubt that you'll succeed with the funding if you offer both as clear alternatives, and get it exposed by a reviewer on youtube. Perhaps an additional marketing/assembly video of the case, as well.

Thanks for your dedication to this project. :)
It'll get a dedicated product page with real photos of a 220mm prototype! You're just hearing about it very early :_)

Reactions: Fueled By Yams

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
It'll get a dedicated product page with real photos of a 220mm prototype! You're just hearing about it very early :_)

Thanks. :)

Btw, I left some feedback in an earlier post, including the 4mm motherboard standoffs. Today there was also a post on reddit regarding this:

A link to the SFF thread is there as well, where some interesting calculations are made. If you use a really large cut out for the motherboard plate, as you do, you probably eliminate much trouble. But if the M.2 socket is 4mm tall, and you use a GPU with a 3mm backplate, I guess they could basically touch each other. And no room for heatsink on the SSD. And what about a GPU without backplate, that could possibly be mounted a bit hastily and make contact with the case? Do you again rely on the powder coat to prevent short circuit? And CPU mounting stuff that exceeds 4mm?

I also think customers will not really know whether their motherboard clears the "4mm backplate max", that you write on the website. An interesting case could be the Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Ax motherboard that has a backplate. I don't know the distance of it to the pcb, but I suspect it could be in the 4-4.5 mm range.

Anyway, I am just bringing this up again to make sure you have considerered the possible consequences.

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020

Btw, I left some feedback in an earlier post, including the 4mm motherboard standoffs. Today there was also a post on reddit regarding this:

A link to the SFF thread is there as well, where some interesting calculations are made. If you use a really large cut out for the motherboard plate, as you do, you probably eliminate much trouble. But if the M.2 socket is 4mm tall, and you use a GPU with a 3mm backplate, I guess they could basically touch each other. And no room for heatsink on the SSD. And what about a GPU without backplate, that could possibly be mounted a bit hastily and make contact with the case? Do you again rely on the powder coat to prevent short circuit? And CPU mounting stuff that exceeds 4mm?

I also think customers will not really know whether their motherboard clears the "4mm backplate max", that you write on the website. An interesting case could be the Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Ax motherboard that has a backplate. I don't know the distance of it to the pcb, but I suspect it could be in the 4-4.5 mm range.

Anyway, I am just bringing this up again to make sure you have considerered the possible consequences.
To be honest: I feel like making sure your parts fit is the customers responsability. If things don't work out, they should send feedback to Densium that a particular motherboard doesn't work, but other than that I don't think you can expect a low volume case producer to anticipate dimensions of every possible mini-itx board, intel or amd. Fortunatly, the aurus vanity back panel is removable and you'll find on reddit that is exactly what a lot of users do, particulary when they are doing a watercooled gpu build.

As for the rear m.2 slots, don't forget with the huge cutout you'll also have some space for running the riser cable behind the gpu on the other side, with some wiggle room. That should leave plenty of space for a regular m.2 storage. Also, unless i'm mistaking, most rear m.2 slots are 3.0 so they are quite a lot less prone to having heat issues compared to the 4.0 slots on the front of the itx motherboards.

Now back on topic: great new renders on your website! Particularly like the detail of the spine: how you can mount everyting to that and then just slide it into the case. Great design for wiring everything up and managing the cables before you attach the front! (Scroll down to simple and sturdy design: https://densium.net/products/densium-4)

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021

Hello,

I understand your concern, but you should be able to fit a rear mounted SSD without heatsinking on the back. The clearance between motherboard and GPU PCB is about 9mm (4mm standoffs for both + 1.2mm motherboard tray thickness,) so you should be able to fit an M.2 snuggly. That being said, if i had the choice i would definetly choose the front mounted SSD with heatsinking every time - as i have done with my personal rig. As a 4 liter case, the Densium 4 was never intented to be without compromise, as it's inevitable at this size. It seems the majority of current generation ITX boards have a front mounted SSD slot, so hopefully it wont be a dealbreaker for all people.

Regarding the short circuit prevention, the powdercoat is not conductive, and it's very durable. I would say the risk of accidentally scratching it down to bare steel while carefully installing your components is negligeble. Also if you view a technical drawing from the mini-fit headers (from molex,) you'll see their pins are 3.5mm long, minus the thickness of the motherboard, resulting in about ~2mm pin height on the back of the motherboard and GPU [attachement 1]. If bought with the ADT-link riser we sell, it comes in a neat anti-static plastic bag, which can be placed between the GPU and motherboard tray as an extra safety measure against shorts.
I have dismounted the backplate on my MSI Aero 3060 Ti, so the back is fully exposed, and i've yet to run into any problems with it, and I've traveled with it a few times and have yet to run into any problems.

If you view the PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification the component height on the back of the GPU PCB is restricted to ~2.67mm component height. [page 84] [attachement 2]

Attachments

• Bilde_2022-01-08_184056.png
    Bilde_2022-01-08_184056.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Bilde_2022-01-08_184553.png
    Bilde_2022-01-08_184553.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: pwnedundies

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Hello Audun,

Congratulations on reaching 76% funding on your beautiful compact case! Your customers will be having fun starting their builds soon.

Hugo
Thanks man! Looks like we're going to reach it pretty comfortably!
8 more units to go!

Slowly but surely we are heading towards production. Looking forward to it.
Yeah man, I will have to make an update on the thread about it. But I'll have to confirm with my manufacturers before i can give any promises!

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Good news guys!

Great to hear they are going for production. :)

What is the plan for the extended version, will you put it up on the website once you get the prototype, and require a second funding for a second minimum order? I made an order for the normal version some days ago, but probably plan to use it as a NAS, and the extended one as the main computer. Just want to make sure I can get hold of both versions, in the end.

Reactions: Bakaban

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020

What is the plan for the extended version, will you put it up on the website once you get the prototype, and require a second funding for a second minimum order? I made an order for the normal version some days ago, but probably plan to use it as a NAS, and the extended one as the main computer. Just want to make sure I can get hold of both versions, in the end.
Now that is going all in, wanting both versions!

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021

Hey,

Yeah i will put it up for sale once i recieve the prototype and take some photos of it!

I'll ask my manufacturers about manufacturing it concurrently with the Densium 4 cases, as they're pretty much the same.
It will then be shipped at the same time as the regular Densium 4.

I'll put them up for pre-order, but i think I'll just cover the production cost myself as after my recent success I'm confident they'll sell, and it seems quite a few are gonna pre-order it anyway!

Regards,
Audun

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
Finally the 4+ is available for preorder 👏👏👏
I'm going to wait for pictures just because I want to see it for real, but you'll definitely have my preorder!

Quick couple questions though: for the Z39 cooler, is it available now or are we still waiting for the goal to be reached? Do we have to purchase the riser separately or is it included? Thanks