• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Please have that judgement of differentiating between a cheap copy that reeks of it and a thought-through retake/redesign around the same component layout as another.

A general agreement on this would really help the SFF community to grow :)

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I found the link to that case build log (you know, Dan A4 layout before Dan A4). Turns out it's not that old, only 2012: http://www.overclock.net/forum/50-small-form-factor-systems/1256109-build-log-velociraptor.html
Pic links are dead now but the guy's Youtube channel is live: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISFO7LfMMZYrmu3WaHs3JA
Googling "build log velociraptor" gives you some cached pic results...

EDIT: LOL, I just noticed the very last post on that thread :D

Woah that really interesting!

If people here want, we can post some simulated proof of optimal layout in such an enclosure :thumb: Perhaps it can function as evidence that mathematics / rules of our universe invented the layout originally XD

Reactions: eggDK

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
- Direct plug to PCIe slot (ie. NCase M1)
- PCIe riser with motherboard and GPU in line (ie. NFC S4M)
- PCIe riser with motherboard and GPU back to back (ie. Dan A4 SFX)
- Other

Good idea, but any identification would need to be neutral in naming, not per an existing case; I refuse to flag my designs as based on another companies.

Perhaps using something like Above MB, Behind MB, Standard Slot, Bifurcation, Other, etc?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Good idea, but any identification would need to be neutral in naming, not per an existing case; I refuse to flag my designs as based on another companies.

Perhaps using something like Above MB, Behind MB, Standard Slot, Bifurcation, Other, etc?

What you wrote is what I was trying to say. I just did the examples so people knew what I was talking about with respect to the terms I was using. I do think a proper nomenclature on design would be helpful here.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The conversation on intellectual property rights and common SFF layout types has been copied here. Please continue conversation on that topic in that thread. This thread will continue specifically for the MJOLNIR case.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I'll post the update schedule here to bring focus back to MJOLNIR I:
  • Update 6 - Finished tolerances (may)
  • Update 7 - User manual (case & hardware assembly) (may)
  • Update 8 - Prototype of the enclosure (june)
  • Update 9 - Prototype of the internal frame (june)
  • Update 10 - Thermal tests (july)
Now you know what to expect in the following updates :) There will of course be updates 11, 12, 13, etc ... but we'll leave them "secret" for now in case there is a change of plans or something.

Best,
Alex

Reactions: dlal1520

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hey guys,

Here is a mini-update - This time it's regarding the distance between the PSU and AIO fan. We have added the option to add 4mm of extra space between those components if you wish to use modded cables or something of that sort. This is once again a tip we've got from you, thanks a lot for making MJOLNIR I better and better.

Check it out

You can see that the PSU was very close to the AIO fan before (below image), this should be quite a bit better now.

Apart from this, we're 100% finished with tolerance adjustments for the Internal frame (equal to about 80% of all MJOLNIR I tolerances). Getting really close to making MJOLNIR I production-ready in other words.

Best,
Alex

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
A small but impactful change. Looking forward to see the first prototypes!

Thank you, If I'm not mistaken this was your idea? Or at least, you were the first one to mention it to us. Thanks a lot for that!

Love the design, keep it up!

Thanks a lot, really happy that you like it!

Hoho indeed you were XD But if you happen to back MJOLNIR I in the future there is a chance you'll win (also, I promise we'll never spam). In any case, just let me know if you want your email removed from the list. Though I really hope you want to stay despite the bait :)

* EDIT

@dlal1520 I read through the old comments in this thread, saw that you mentioned the PSU raise idea. Thanks a lot buddy!

Last edited:
Reactions: ebc92

dlal1520

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2017
Thank you, If I'm not mistaken this was your idea? Or at least, you were the first one to mention it to us. Thanks a lot for that!

Thanks a lot, really happy that you like it!

Hoho indeed you were XD But if you happen to back MJOLNIR I in the future there is a chance you'll win (also, I promise we'll never spam). In any case, just let me know if you want your email removed from the list. Though I really hope you want to stay despite the bait :)

* EDIT

@dlal1520 I read through the old comments in this thread, saw that you mentioned the PSU raise idea. Thanks a lot buddy!

Glad you guys went through with the suggestion, looks great!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Have you evaluated the strength on this frame in torsion or with an applied bending force?
Two screw to fasten a out of plane bar is going to be VERY weak.

23 parts and 45 screws is going to be an expensive nightmare just in support issues.

When was the last time you had your design quoted to confirm the price point?
Look how simple Loques case is and how expensive it is.

I know you've put a lot in this design, but that frame needs a redraw IMO

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Have you evaluated the strength on this frame in torsion or with an applied bending force?
I agree on this. Off plane supports are weak. I don't see why they need to be out of plane in the first place :)

Edit: this reminds me of the Hyatt Regency Hotel Walkway Collapse incident

Last edited:
Reactions: Saudsvartur

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

If possible, please mark the points you are worried about on this image :)

23 parts and 45 screws is going to be an expensive nightmare just in support issues.

60% of the screws / 40% of the parts are for the simple LED / PSU / Drive Bay frames. There are no custom screws. Tolerances are optimized and 100% of the units will fit. I don't see why it can't be managed.

When was the last time you had your design quoted to confirm the price point?
Look how simple Loques case is and how expensive it is.

We have ballpark figures from different manufacturers. I can't speak for how Loque manages their costs and if they do it efficiently, nor do I know what constitutes their costs or how they define their markup. In short, there are too many uncertainties to do a meaningful comparison based on their price & complexity and ours.

Last edited:

catpuke

Cable Smoosher
May 14, 2017
I'm just a collector. I have nothing worth contribution but my money, I'm just wanting this to be released soon. Keep up the great work!

Reactions: AP2

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hey guys,

Quick question
  • What are your thoughts on funding through Kickstarter vs the project-creators website? (let's assume that they use PayPal and the site is encrypted and secure)

The reason I ask
  • Possibility to avoid 5% Kickstarter fee (use the money to develop new projects etc)
  • Have to stop depending on Kickstarter sooner or later
* Please note: this doesn't mean that we won't use Kickstarter for MJOLNIR I, or that we'll launch the campaign before you've seen prototypes. Just a thought our team has had :)

Cheers,
Alex

Reactions: VegetableStu

dlal1520

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2017
Hey guys,

Quick question
  • What are your thoughts on funding through Kickstarter vs the project-creators website? (let's assume that they use PayPal and the site is encrypted and secure)

The reason I ask
  • Possibility to avoid 5% Kickstarter fee (use the money to develop new projects etc)
  • Have to stop depending on Kickstarter sooner or later
* Please note: this doesn't mean that we won't use Kickstarter for MJOLNIR I, or that we'll launch the campaign before you've seen prototypes. Just a thought our team has had :)

Cheers,
Alex
I think kick starter may be your safest bet imo. Kick starter is just a interface most of the sff community is used to from what I've seen (but I could be mistaken on that). Especially the subreddit, a lot of kickstarter's get posted on there. Plus kickstarter has a lot of traffic compared to most other project-creator websites that will draw in a fresh set of eyes. (I guess that speaks to the kickstarter fee). Moving from Kickstarter, im not sure how the sff labs work but maybe set up something similar to that or go through that? Maybe just sell from your own website. I'm sure i'm over simplifying some aspects of it, but just wanted to get the conversation going and put in my two cents

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I think kick starter may be your safest bet imo. Kick starter is just a interface most of the sff community is used to from what I've seen (but I could be mistaken on that). Especially the subreddit, a lot of kickstarter's get posted on there. Plus kickstarter has a lot of traffic compared to most other project-creator websites that will draw in a fresh set of eyes. (I guess that speaks to the kickstarter fee). Moving from Kickstarter, im not sure how the sff labs work but maybe set up something similar to that or go through that? Maybe just sell from your own website. I'm sure i'm over simplifying some aspects of it, but just wanted to get the conversation going and put in my two cents

Great reflection! MJOLNIR I will definitely be a Kickstarter project. We'll most likely do Kickstarter until we have gathered peoples trust and can move to funding through our own website or something similar.

Thanks for your advice, it's always greatly appreciated!

Best,
Alex

Reactions: dlal1520