Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Maybe do a virtual build, download some GPUs and AIOs, and put them in the virtual case

Isn't everything virtual during Covid???

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
BTW, have you done any airflow testing? Maybe use some software

You can probably lower the height to 220mm while still supporting a 45mm thick rad+fans, as the 216mm high FormD T1 supports a 42mm thick rad+fan. You should even have 1mm leftover!

I really like the T1 IO, check it out!

It's in 3 slot mode with 50mm left for the CPU
Since your case is 129mm wide, the CPU cooler limitation should be around ~47 for a 3 slot, enough for a black ridge or c7
With 2 slots, there should be 67mm for the CPU cooler but it's 61mm right now

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Maybe do a virtual build, download some GPUs and AIOs, and put them in the virtual case

Isn't everything virtual during Covid???

Would like too, but 1) I'm a complete beginner when it comes to 3d, I just taught myself the basics to have a model of what I'm going for lol, still learning... and 2) I'm away on business so my rig isn't with me currently.

BTW, have you done any airflow testing? Maybe use some software

You can probably lower the height to 220mm while still supporting a 45mm thick rad+fans, as the 216mm high FormD T1 supports a 42mm thick rad+fan. You should even have 1mm leftover!

I really like the T1 IO, check it out!

It's in 3 slot mode with 50mm left for the CPU
Since your case is 129mm wide, the CPU cooler limitation should be around ~47 for a 3 slot, enough for a black ridge or c7
With 2 slots, there should be 67mm for the CPU cooler but it's 61mm right now

Ok so just to give you a history, the case started at 220mm height, but like the T1, the parts were in the flipped orientation.... Then I decided to go with a normal orientation, what this forces you to have is 3mm extra at the bottom as the motherboard IO hangs around 2.44mm below the tray, so 3mm is a safe clearance...

Then, came the problem of the PCI-E riser cable, the original clearance was 2mm between the motherboard tray and the rad chamber above it... that caused issues with bending the cable to fit exactly there and would mean that it will be touching the rad, which can block airflow.... so we increased that to 5mm adding an extra 3mm... that brings us to 226mm that we have.

the width of the Rogue is currently 130mm after the changes to the thickness of the panels... 1.5mm instead of 1mm... that adds 0.5mm each side = 130mm.

As for your math comparing the T1 clearances... 1 key fact that the T1 does is not have a motherboard tray.... that allows it to have the motherboard and the GPU sit closer than usual to each other... which gives it the extra few mms.... going with the traditional layout, with the tray and all, confines me to the standard clearances... 6mm standoff and 5mm clearance for the GPU from the back of the tray....

For the IO, ive outlined the challenges here:
I have thought about it... problem is if you notice the placement of the power button, that will need to move... and the only logical position would be up behind the radiator... however that would cut into the radiator clearance and might cause problems with compatibility.... The T1 has more length, 330mm vs 305mm i have here, so its possible for it to have the power button in that position...

Also, for this sample I've decided to keep everything as is.. and will do the adjustments for chamber sizes after physically testing everything.... I myself am starting to lean towards increasing the side of the GPU side, but I have to wait and see, cause that might interfere with CPU block clearances.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Allowing 45mm+ plus for the GPU cooling is optimal for custom loops and compatibility with larger GPUs, for example, the XC3. I think 45mm is going to be enough for most use cases, but best to give at least 50mm for the GPU. 50mm is the sweet spot for full water coolers, lol.

Is it possible to remove the motherboard tray?

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I think I found the perfect dimensions for sub-8.5L:
300mm x 221mm x 127mm

8.42L, more than 1L smaller than the T1, lez go

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just a small update here, QC check is done and the ventilation holes are fixed... going to be sent to apply the finish, below pictures are the current state of it:

"....speaking of panels, how is bottom panel? for next round of photos pls include a shot of the bottom of the case pls! ..."

Here's a shot from below, nothing special but tried to make it as vented as possible:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@Lytnin thanks for the update, especially the bottom panel shot! awesome progress indeed. just some quick observation here:
  • visually the side panel looks dope with all the ventilation holes. though I notice the corners are all rounded? from picture #1 and #2 there are clear visual gaps (wedges) where the corners of the side panels meet the corners of the front panel. is this an intentional design choice? I would much prefer keeping those corners perfect 90 degrees to have just 1 straight line between the panels (Ghost style)
  • the top panel doesn't seem to sit flush with the other panels (pic #2), it is fine in pic #1 though, any concerns?
  • the bottom panel has the 4 screws hole in square arrangement (?), is that for pump mount?
finally IIRC you haven't mentioned colour options at all right?

keep up the good work ?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
@Lytnin thanks for the update, especially the bottom panel shot! awesome progress indeed. just some quick observation here:
  • visually the side panel looks dope with all the ventilation holes. though I notice the corners are all rounded? from picture #1 and #2 there are clear visual gaps (wedges) where the corners of the side panels meet the corners of the front panel. is this an intentional design choice? I would much prefer keeping those corners perfect 90 degrees to have just 1 straight line between the panels (Ghost style)
  • the top panel doesn't seem to sit flush with the other panels (pic #2), it is fine in pic #1 though, any concerns?
  • the bottom panel has the 4 screws hole in square arrangement (?), is that for pump mount?
finally IIRC you haven't mentioned colour options at all right?

keep up the good work ?
Hey, thanks!

The rounded corners is intentional and have a hidden purpose of giving the user of the case a bit of grip to open up the front panel, otherwise with 90° corner it will be very hard to do so... Or ill need to add a lip or something...

I think its just the camera angle, it will be sitting flush...

The 4 holes are the 2.5inch ssd mounting holes... Which i really did try to make it double as a ddc pump mount, unfortunately not enough width for it.. the ssd, if installed, extends below the PSU since its slim... However, the pump won't be able to do that...

For colors, im going with dark grey as the starting look... I am also considering to maybe have a light color alternative.... And will most likely do a poll for that. But that's still down the line..

• Love
Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The rounded corners is intentional and have a hidden purpose of giving the user of the case a bit of grip to open up the front panel, otherwise with 90° corner it will be very hard to do so... Or ill need to add a lip or something...
correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom panel is part of the skeleton frame right? maybe add a cutout at the front of the bottom panel so the front panel can be pulled out from the bottom edge? if that's possible it will let you have the perfect corners and lines again

The 4 holes are the 2.5inch ssd mounting holes... Which i really did try to make it double as a ddc pump mount, unfortunately not enough width for it.. the ssd, if installed, extends below the PSU since its slim... However, the pump won't be able to do that...
Pump will be mounted there for sure, even if just the 2 open screws. People have been dangling pump-res combo in the T1 for a long time, with just tubing & fitting as support ? at the end of the day 2 is still better than nothing!

For colors, im going with dark grey as the starting look... I am also considering to maybe have a light color alternative.... And will most likely do a poll for that. But that's still down the line..
Nice start with the grey, if it's close to gunmetal then it's really gonna sell! and probably many will come asking for 'Apple' silver and White/E-white, be prepared hahaha

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hey guys, original post updated with new pictures!
the anodizing appears good! that's what I like about grey/gunmetal too, it changes with lighting! maybe you can take some pictures with other colours side-by-side to help us visualise (did I see some silver-ish panels hiding underneath those wrappers?)

Reactions: Kordron

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
the anodizing appears good! that's what I like about grey/gunmetal too, it changes with lighting! maybe you can take some pictures with other colours side-by-side to help us visualise (did I see some silver-ish panels hiding underneath those wrappers?)
I will definitely do so... I really don't know what the other panels are for, that was the picture they sent me... So no, no alternate color yet lol

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Is it possible to remove the motherboard tray?
For more GPU thickness
And more CPU cooler height
At this point that would require a full redo of the internal design, as ill need to rethink the support for both the motherboard and the GPU... That would set the project back...

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ok then is there a way to make the GPU 45mm? The CPU cooler height would be 56mm.
I mean for the newer GPUs, almost all of them are >40mm

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Looks sensational @Lytnin!! I think you've gone with the optimal finish and it's really going to show in the final product.

Can't wait to see the assembled product!!

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Ok then is there a way to make the GPU 45mm? The CPU cooler height would be 56mm.
I mean for the newer GPUs, almost all of them are >40mm
I will be looking at the internals once i get the case... I have been thinking of expanding the gpu side due to the new GPUs... But i really want to wait to see it physically, then i can do any other adjustment..

Looks sensational @Lytnin!! I think you've gone with the optimal finish and it's really going to show in the final product.

Can't wait to see the assembled product!!
Thanks man, i think so too ?