Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Only outstanding item is the glass panels. Waiting for their delivery.

All other items and in place. Sampling packaging. Tester bundle will not include final packaging materials. Hopefully everything in place by next week.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Only outstanding item is the glass panels.
As far as glass panels go, will these be an optional accessory or will they come prebundled along with the metal panels?

By the way, I just got a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD so I could retire my second 2.5” SATA SSD drive in order to gear up for this case. That means that now my system configuration is fully compatible given that I no longer have a second 2.5” drive that would interfere with my long graphics card. Excitement ensues!

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Glass panels will be included with the stack unit in the final product.
Final product will be split into two SKU:
  1. Steck base model case (aluminum side panels only) - air cooling ONLY
  2. Steck 60mm radiator stack unit (this includes the glass panels) - liquid cooling option
Glass panels are NOT recommended to be used with the base config, for ventilation reasons.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I like it, I like it, really on point. It really was a clever design decision and pricing configuration choice to not force users with air cooling like myself to have poorly vented, solid glass or plastic side panels like the Raijintek Ophion or the Geeek A50.

Reactions: whatanoob

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Glass panels will be included with the stack unit in the final product.
Final product will be split into two SKU:
  1. Steck base model case (aluminum side panels only) - air cooling ONLY
  2. Steck 60mm radiator stack unit (this includes the glass panels) - liquid cooling option
Glass panels are NOT recommended to be used with the base config, for ventilation reasons.

So is number 2 option just the top hat and the glass side panels?

Or is it the full case with the top and glass? (If so, does is come with the ventilated panels also?)

I'm thinking of getting the top hat for water cooling but I'm not a big fan of glass side panels, and I would prefer the ventilation of the metal side panels.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
So is number 2 option just the top hat and the glass side panels?

Or is it the full case with the top and glass? (If so, does is come with the ventilated panels also?)

I'm thinking of getting the top hat for water cooling but I'm not a big fan of glass side panels, and I would prefer the ventilation of the metal side panels.
Option 2 is ONLY the top hat with glass panel. So if you want liquid cooling you would buy 1+2.

You can definitely use the metal panels with liquid cooling, in fact performance is even better (in noise and temp). Perforated panels are always better than glass panels in terms of performance. Glass panels are just for (RGB) aesthetics.

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
So what you mean is:
Option 1 = Base Nouvolo Steck
Option 2 = Liquid cooling Top Hat & Glass Panel Accessory

Maybe you should split option 2.. just in case some wants to try only the glass panel or only just the top hat.... unless the glass panel wont fit without the top hat.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
So what you mean is:
... Maybe you should split option 2.. just in case some wants to try only the glass panel or only just the top hat.... unless the glass panel wont fit without the top hat.

Unless the case is housing some really low end stuff e.g. i3 or low end i5 CPU, thermals can be a problem with using glass panels without rad/liquid cooling.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Unless the case is housing some really low end stuff e.g. i3 or low end i5 CPU, thermals can be a problem with using glass panels without rad/liquid cooling.
I can only imagine what a solid glass panel would do in restricting airflow and compromising thermal dissipation when I had problems with a partially vented panel on my first SFF case which was of the shoebox styling. I could barely overclock my Ivy Bridge Core i5 at the time and I was not attempting anything ambitious beyond a mild +100 MHz overclock and there was at least some perforation and the panel's metallic thermal conductivity on my side. If the panel took away the perforation and was instead something less conductive like glass, I imagine I might have even needed to downclocked it in order to not get too toasty. I can there are very good reasons not to use a glass panel with air cooling solutions.

Last edited:

Chinaman

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2018

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
The additionl of "top hats" is not a fancy mechanical design. It's just another column of space that is removable. The basic layout and design was demonstrated and executed by the dancase A4-SFX there are a couple of prior art of this, but he's the first to executed commercially. However, because the aluminum panel is vertical, other revisions cannot incorporate an expandable space.

However, now we have the C4 and the SM550.

Both of these designs could've incorporated the expandable chamber. But that is not the point, the point is, their design language is completely different and distinguishable. And now we have this:

The Steck could've had his/her own design language but instead copies the Ghost S1 design. If Dan and KSliger could have two of the same layouts, same features, but arrive at different design language, how could've the Steck been different? Those designs could've also been interested in using a removable chamber as well, but choose not to.

Reducing cost by using a different fabrication method is not mutually exclusive of having an original design.

You cannot compare a tablet's design, whose primary estate is taken up by the screen, and corners being safer to handle of they're curved, as an analogy. There are many design elements that case designers can use. The ATX market is an example of that, wildly different designs despite coming out of the same factories.

For future products, I hope Nouvolo creates his own original design. I do want more accessible cases in the market. However, going about it this way is bad taste.

To aspiring case designers, be careful because they may just copy it once you've proven market viability and outsell you through superior logistics.

Could not agree more. Anyone who doesn’t see this as a derivative Ghost S1 is either lying to themselves or just insane. There is no unique design language here at all. Hell, I actually thought I clicked into the wrong thread for a few seconds.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Would you look at this: https://s.taobao.com/search?q=louqe...6643285.d4916901&initiative_id=shopz_20180928

It's already being sold on TaoBao. Wouldn't be surprised if this buyer gets the case before the KS Backers!

I think they claim they are selling them imported. Maybe they signed up a bunch on KS for reselling? But that's hard to understand, as KS projects does not guarantee anything. It can't be a viable business model when you could total loss as a trader, but only earn a tiny margin?

And BTW, I am expecting "something" next week ;) . And sorry for the waiting for these couple weeks, I have been to China every week for the past months. I have given myself a break for couple weeks. I have decided to go check things in bulk once they are all ready.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I think they claim they are selling them imported. Maybe they signed up a bunch on KS for reselling? But that's hard to understand, as KS projects does not guarantee anything. It can't be a viable business model when you could total loss as a trader, but only earn a tiny margin?

And BTW, I am expecting "something" next week ;) . And sorry for the waiting for these couple weeks, I have been to China every week for the past months. I have given myself a break for couple weeks. I have decided to go check things in bulk once they are all ready.
Awesome news! Can't wait to hear the next update!