Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ye lol... Everything is pretty much at the limit and margins are 1-2mm... But this iteration covers all the lose ends, and offers better overall compatibility.
I think the only way to optimize this space further is to remove the spine...
The radiator compartment is still 45mm yeah? Being able to run an XSPC TX240 with 2 25mm noctua fans is going to be a strong configuration when compared to comparable cases
Wow, I never thought of that!

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I'm in, I'm sure others will too - you're onto a winner Lyt!

The radiator compartment is still 45mm yeah? Being able to run an XSPC TX240 with 2 25mm noctua fans is going to be a strong configuration when compared to comparable cases
46.5mm if that makes a difference

Reactions: Tazpr

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I think the only way to optimize this space further is to remove the spine..
Think about it this way. Sure if i remove the "spine" (although its more of just a motherboard tray) i might be able to position the gpu and motherboard closer together.... And this will allow me to probably squeeze in a 3slot design correct? But for example in the T1 in 3slot mode, cpu clearance goes down to 50mm, which starts to limit your options for pump/block clearances. And then there's another factor, the case length... Almost all 3slot cards are above 300mm in length, so even if i do remove it and accomplish a 3slot design, there will be very little use of it... And as I've stated before, 2.5slot is enough clearance for fittings if you want to watercool and the new iteration im on has alot more room for GPU height which also helps for water blocks.

And then of course there's structural integrity... You're over looking the fact in cases like the T1 and the winterone that use "struts" have a thick front and back panel (i think this ranges from 6-15mm) along with thick struts that can support alot of the weight.
If i do the same with 1mm or 1.5mm sheet metal, thats going to over time start to slowly bend with the weight.. theres a reason why i got weird bends in the different places... Each bend adds to the strength of the sheet metal... So it might not look like it, but have a piece standing right in the middle of the case, that's bolted into the bottom, back and the radiator support, adds quite a bit of strength.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Think about it this way. Sure if i remove the "spine" (although its more of just a motherboard tray) i might be able to position the gpu and motherboard closer together.... And this will allow me to probably squeeze in a 3slot design correct? But for example in the T1 in 3slot mode, cpu clearance goes down to 50mm, which starts to limit your options for pump/block clearances. And then there's another factor, the case length... Almost all 3slot cards are above 300mm in length, so even if i do remove it and accomplish a 3slot design, there will be very little use of it... And as I've stated before, 2.5slot is enough clearance for fittings if you want to watercool and the new iteration im on has alot more room for GPU height which also helps for water blocks.
Well, I was actually thinking about more CPU cooler height...

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just something that caught my eye this morning... this photo is with night mode on as the room was dark. But I thought it was a good chance to show the size of the holes and side panel ventilation. You can see almost see through the case at certain angles.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Looking good man! the seams between the panels are barely visible (I had to zoom in and squint my eyes real hard for a bit). Given the side panels are so well-ventilated, probably you don't need that tall of a feet and can get away with a tiny rubber feet like the T1 does :)

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Looking good man! the seams between the panels are barely visible (I had to zoom in and squint my eyes real hard for a bit). Given the side panels are so well-ventilated, probably you don't need that tall of a feet and can get away with a tiny rubber feet like the T1 does :)
Thanks! Yea the design is for air to go in from the side, and out through the top... And the bottom is vented just as an extra... That being said, i've use standard size screws for the rubber feet, so if the user decides to change them to taller ones, he can totally do that easily.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Any reason to use slim fans on the 240mm instead of full size ?
Yes, the total clearance in the Radiator chamber is 46.5mm, so u can have up 30mm radiators with 15mm slim fans.... However as @Tazpr has pointed out, u can use 25mm standard fans with a tx240 rad.

wolfwood03

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 17, 2020
Yes, the total clearance in the Radiator chamber is 46.5mm, so u can have up 30mm radiators with 15mm slim fans.... However as @Tazpr has pointed out, u can use 25mm standard fans with a tx240 rad.
Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. Isn't the cooling performance of 15mm slim fans worse than 25mm fans by a significant margin. Or am I confusing this with radiator performance?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. Isn't the cooling performance of 15mm slim fans worse than 25mm fans by a significant margin. Or am I confusing this with radiator performance?
cooling of a normal thickness rad with a slim fan is comparable to a slim rad with normal fans... obviously having both normal thickness rad and a normal sized fan would be better, but that will work against my goal for the case which is sub 9L volume.

Reactions: wolfwood03

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
cooling of a normal thickness rad with a slim fan is comparable to a slim rad with normal fans... obviously having both normal thickness rad and a normal sized fan would be better, but that will work against my goal for the case which is sub 9L volume.
I actually think the TX240 is not a great deal behind most other 25-30mm radiators if it has decent fans due to the fin density, so I reckon a TX240 + 2 Noctua A12x25's would be extremely capable.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
What is the size of the cutout for the power input? (C14)
Also: where is the power button?
I dont have access to my PC at the moment but the cut out should be around 30x20mm

Power button is at the back above the motherboard in the latest iteration

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I dont have access to my PC at the moment but the cut out should be around 30x20mm

Power button is at the back above the motherboard in the latest iteration
How we going Lytnin?

Any progress or updates?