Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
If it comes to being >9L I will probably start my own thread with <8.5L in mind (301mm * 128mm * 220mm. 301mm is feasible in a flipped orientation. Planning 124mm radiator width)
Those are the exact same dimensions i started with ?

suspect Lytnin being vague on mm in the poll options because he's not set on a single dimension for each option yet, simply seeing where the goal post is going to be and working to optimise towards that.
Yup, that's exactly right... Before optimizing i need to know what I'm aiming for... There's alot more to it than just resizing the chambers, as i might even go to MoQ territory for the internal parts (example: custom motherboard standoffs) ... But this is something i really want to avoid as it will drive the cost up.
There's a big difference between feedback and advise. I want to dictate my own measurements and design here.

... just because the volume of the Rogue is very close to the T1 does not mean the Rogue has nothing else to offer.
I agree here... I never intended to compete directly with the T1.. the T1 is an inspired piece of design and will always be. Sure I'm very similar in terms of internals, but aren't all sff when you boil it down... Also there's a big difference of a CNC process vs Sheet metal process.

Maybe keep this as a different case from the T1. People like you can go ahead and choose the T1, while people like me can go ahead and choose the Rogue!
He already is using the T1.. thats what he meant lol

Ok! so that's all the replies out of the way (btw its 6:30am here, was fun to wake up and read all this ?) ... Been thinking that 3slot gpu might be pointless here, as most of the new 3slot cards are 300mm+ in length, and would not fit unless you are watercooling... but then if your watercooling you don't need 3slots...
So basically if I'm going for a 3slot design, it would make sense for me to halt this and just go with my Rogue XL idea, and revisit this later... But that's not my intention...

@thelaughingman i might have a solution for more clearance above the GPU for better fitting compatibility. Thinking of moving the GPU to the bottom and have the power cable right underneath the rad chamber as you suggested... Still need to fine tune it but might be worth it...

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
... Thinking of moving the GPU to the bottom and have the power cable right underneath the rad chamber as you suggested... Still need to fine tune it but might be worth it...
interesting! though that may requires longer power cable and not as clean routing as before where it is able to run along the bottom panel. maybe consider 'flipping' the PSU so the cable can be routed along the bottom of the radiator? hoping it's not too much of a radical redesign

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
interesting! though that may requires longer power cable and not as clean routing as before where it is able to run along the bottom panel. maybe consider 'flipping' the PSU so the cable can be routed along the bottom of the radiator? hoping it's not too much of a radical redesign
Cant flip the PSU as the screw to secure will be on the wrong side, which means ill need to design a bracket for it.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Wait for real??? I came up with that independently...

8:54 PM for me
Yup, then i "unflipped" the orientation that put me at 223 in height and added another 3mm just to make life easier with the pcie cable.
had to add 1mm to the width as 124mm rads would have been an exact match (128- 1mm side panels - 1mm for the internal chassis) and u need to account for manufacturer tolerances, that put me at 129mm, then went with 1.5mm panels which got me to 130mm
For the length, it was 301mm but added 4mm to make it easier for the 24pin

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
For the length, it was 301mm but added 4mm to make it easier for the 24pin
Yes, because it turned into normal orientation... In the FormD T1, the 24-pin will not be blocked by the PSU even if it were right next to the mobo... So that's why I'm planning on using that layout

Reactions: Lytnin

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Cant flip the PSU as the screw to secure will be on the wrong side, which means ill need to design a bracket for it.
yeah, the T1 has to have an additional plate to 'flip' the PSU. If it's not worth designing a bracket, just make sure to account for longer cable and maybe some small cuts into the frame to help routing the cable

Reactions: Lytnin

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
So.... I've been doing some research into GPU sizes and what can work if I tweak the case to 2.5 or 3slots considering the case's length. Man the new GPUs are beefy. Keep in mind this is just for this generation of GPUs:

2 Slot Config:

2.5 Slot Config:

3 Slot Config:

So as you can see the 2 Slot config with most likely need to change. However, 2.5 to 3 slot config are virtually identical with the exception of the PNY 3070. If you do decide to water cool the GPU, there should be no problem in either 2.5 or 3 slots config as the new PCBs are short and most fittings will have sufficient clearance.

This is making me lean towards the 2.5 slot, sub 9l config more, and can probably achieve a 55mm CPU block clearance, which I think should work with a vast range of AIOs and/or blocks. And ill maintain the main goal of the case. What do you guys think?

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I think 56-57mm CPU cooler clearance for 2.5 slots should be possible... I'll just wait and see then

Also: Why isn't there support for a 126mm wide radiator? 130mm should be enough for that... Was thinking about fitting a Corsair H100i V2 in there...

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Why isn't there support for a 126mm wide radiator? 130mm should be enough for that... Was thinking about fitting a Corsair H100i V2 in there...
130mm is the external measurement - 3mm (side panels are 1.5mm each) = 127mm.

However, since the case has an internal chassis, the front part which is behind the front panel for example eats into that a bit, thats 1mm on each side, so you end up with 125mm....

Technically you can fit 127mm rads, but just make sure it sits in the open part of the case between the side panels, and not the part where the chassis is.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Ok, just wanted to update everyone with the current progress and the direction I'm going in at the moment.... But nothing is finalized yet.

There were a few things that needed addressing with the first sample..
  1. The motherboard IO shield would not go in properly without having to bend the edge at the bottom.
  2. While GPU height clearance was sufficient, it posed a problem when considering water cooling blocks and fittings. Also, it was not so great for the cables.
  3. Front panel was harder to remove than anticipated and would get miss aligned sometimes as there's bit wiggle room up and down with the push pins.
  4. AIO/Radiator tubing would sometimes interfere with the front lip of the support.
  5. 2slot GPU - this isnt a problem but more of a design change to support more of the new GPUs.
So, I decided to flip the internals (@SFF Watercooled, yes i know) - this would address the IO shield issue and increase clearance above the GPU (this is done by making use of the space that was below the GPU previously only occupied by the power cable alone - only the GPU is flipped but the power cable remains at the bottom of the case) .
For the front panel, @thelaughingman, decided to go with your suggestion of having a cut out under the case to allow for ease of access and add a "guidance" pin to prevent the miss alignment.
For the AIO/Radiator tubing, I'm removing the front part of the support, so no more lip that interferes with it.

As for design changes, I'm changing the GPU to 2.5slots while remaining at the same volume... This inturn reduces the CPU block clearance to 55mm which should be sufficient to accommodate a majority of pump blocks/cpu blocks.. This also affects the placement of the power button, as there's no space for it next to the motherboard anymore, so that has been moved upwards in the Radiator chamber (This, i feel, is the one true compromise i had to make as there was no alternative with a 2.5slot config)... Other changes are cut outs in the chassis to allow for easier placement of hardware (this will be easier to show later than explain now)

I'm also exploring adding an optional top mesh panel, but need to find a way to make it work with the slide-in pins. Another thing is having both pci-e gen3 and 4 options.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Ye lol... Everything is pretty much at the limit and margins are 1-2mm... But this iteration covers all the lose ends, and offers better overall compatibility.
I'm in, I'm sure others will too - you're onto a winner Lyt!

The radiator compartment is still 45mm yeah? Being able to run an XSPC TX240 with 2 25mm noctua fans is going to be a strong configuration when compared to comparable cases

Reactions: thelaughingman